Somerset points deduction for title decider pitch

24 point deduction (12 suspended) for the 2020 season for the poor rating of the Taunton wicket in their brave but vain attempt to nab the County Championship from Essex.

Somerset aren't comtesting the poor standard but are appealing on the basis that they were unable to prepare a wicket any better than the one they had in those conditions.

They've had this coming for some time, though it would've been awful to pull off a last day miracle then have it taken away. Essex hanging on saved FTECB from making a decision that they had to think beyond their own noses about.

Because it’s another excuse to have a go at the ECB.

The fact Somerset have form for this and received warnings in the past is totally irrevlant.
it wasn't ECB who made the decision -CDC which made the decision is independent of ECB. Nobody requires excuses to criticize ECB -they consistently provide ammunition naturally.
I'm amazed at the claim that previous warnings about pitch quality is irrelevant.

it wasn't ECB who made the decision -CDC which made the decision is independent of ECB. Nobody requires excuses to criticize ECB -they consistently provide ammunition naturally.
I'm amazed at the claim that previous warnings about pitch quality is irrelevant.

That was my point of course it was relevant, I was been a tad sarcastic.

That people are ignoring the previous times Somerset have produced sub standard pitches just to have a further go at the ECB, and the fact it wasn’t even the ECB who done it makes the criticism of them even worse and frankly incorrect.

Statements on here like if it were Durham we would be back in minor counties and Somerset are on the same shit list as us is just complete made up nonsense.
It is the same in football, reading some threads on there VAR is apparently biased towards Liverpool and when Sunderland were in the premier league reading in here we were always treated differently from the big clubs.

This world against us and we treated differently I find complete nonsense.

Last edited:

That people are ignoring the previous times Somerset have produced sub standard pitches just to have a further go at the ECB, and the fact it wasn’t even the ECB who done it makes the criticism of them even worse and frankly incorrect.

Statements on here like if it were Durham we would be back in minor counties and Somerset are on the same shit list as us is just complete made up nonsense.
The statements, I suspect, were hyperbole just as your claim that yours were sarcasm.

The statements, I suspect, were hyperbole just as your claim that yours were sarcasm.

Maybe, but sick of reading on both football and cricket threads, where people feel sorry for themselves and always think their club and smaller clubs are treated difffently from bigger clubs.

Refs decisions, selection for England teams, suspensions etc etc.
It’s happened for years statements like it’s only

because he played at Gloucester if he played for Surrey he would have had more caps, if he played for Liverpool rather than Burnley he would have had more caps, I find it total bollocks.

As in reality imo selectors and managers just pick what team they think is the best team to win games, wherever the players are from.

Last edited:

It is the same in football, reading some threads on there VAR is apparently biased towards Liverpool and when Sunderland were in the premier league reading in here we were always treated differently from the big clubs.

This world against us and we treated differently I find complete nonsense.

Any excuse to act like Lord of the Manor and remind us how much more you knowledgeable you are than us plebs.

The CDC is an 'arms length' body reporting to the ECB. It enforces ECB rules. You'd think it was totally independent listening to you. 🤣

I seem to recall quite a few uneven wickets at Chelmsford, Cardiff and Headingley in recent years...but no sanction. We won't bother pointing out the double standards on club finances.

Any excuse to act like Lord of the Manor and remind us how much more you knowledgeable you are than us plebs.

The CDC is an 'arms length' body reporting to the ECB. It enforces ECB rules. You'd think it was totally independent listening to you. 🤣

I seem to recall quite a few uneven wickets at Chelmsford, Cardiff and Headingley in recent years...but no sanction. We won't bother pointing out the double standards on club finances.

I have no idea whether it’s totally independent or not, it was @Parkside not me who said it wasn’t the ECB who made the points deduction.

The main point is Somerset have produced sub standard pitches previously, hence comments on here like Ciderbad etc.

And rather than people just saying punishment was due,it’s once again another excuse to have a go at the ECB whether it’s them or not or consider whether the punishment is fair.

Your comment about their noises been put out of joint if Somerset won it, is based off asboutely nothing.

Imo the ECB would not have cared less if Essex or Somerset won it.
A county in this case Somerset has produced another sub standard pitch after been previously warned, it’s a straightforward fair and clear story and punishment, however once again the likes of yourself have to turn it into another criticism of the ECB, and none existion conspiracies against certain counties.

Last edited:
Maybe, but sick of reading on both football and cricket threads, where people feel sorry for themselves and always think their club and smaller clubs are treated difffently from bigger clubs.

Refs decisions, selection for England teams, suspensions etc etc.
It’s happened for years statements like it’s only

because he played at Gloucester if he played for Surrey he would have had more caps, if he played for Liverpool rather than Burnley he would have had more caps, I find it total bollocks.

As in reality imo selectors and managers just pick what team they think is the best team to win games, wherever the players are from.
If you seriously think that refs don't favour the bigger clubs or that the media don't influence team selection I can only conclude that you mustn't watch or read much football coverage.

If you seriously think that refs don't favour the bigger clubs or that the media don't influence team selection I can only conclude that you mustn't watch or read much football coverage.

Do really think a multi miillonaire manager like Capello for example with a reputation for been hard line, let the media influence his selection? Of course he didn’t, he wouldn’t have give two fucks what the media said.

England manager is one of the most pressured jobs in the country and are judged on results, the fact people think their purposely pick what their consider not their best side to appease the media is laughable.

As for the refs, mistakes from them in the modern fast pace game is inevitable, but fans instead of just accepting these guys have a impossible job in impossible circumstances and just give what they see with one look from one angle and spilt second to decide, automically look from conspiracies and influence one again.

I find it complete bollock, the problem with modern day fans and media is there always looking for other stories, rather than just accepting that the ref is the most honest man on the field out of 23 people by a country mile!

Last edited:

Could you enlighten me how the media influence team selection? And apparently the refs favour big teams apart from poor little Sunderland who are without doubt the biggest club in league one. Why do you think refs down favour us?

Back