Somerset points deduction for title decider pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s another point with fans and their blinkered eyes and ideas regarding their own team.

For years when we were in the premier league reading on here we got nowt as refs apparently always favoured the ‘big team’

Yet as soon as we became the ‘ big team’ in league one, reading on this board refs when they came to the SOL were determined to stand up to the ‘ big time’ and people were actually serious :D

You couldn’t make it up!

I am going slightly off the point, but it links to the bigger picture and just shows how fans of sport for their own team always loose a certain sense of logic and always think their team gets the bad end of decisions when in fact it’s nothing of the case.

Last edited:

Capello is only one example and I doubt if his command of English would enable him to read the English press.
How often did you see a penalty given against Man Utd at Old Trafford? Or have you never heard of Fergy time?
I'm sure most referees are honest but they're also human. Most refereeing decisions are debatable, it's not an exact science but I've watched enough premier league football to form the considered opinion that they're swayed by pressure to give borderline decisions in favour of the big club.It's purely a strong impression.
Referees in Division 1 aren't used to games which are as well attended and competitive as Sunderland fixtures home and away. The fact that several red cards given to Sunderland players have been rescinded indicates referees are error prone and are under pressure in such fixtures. Fervent supporters will be partisan, it's a fact and hardly something to get worked up about. I'm not one of them, I've only been to SoL a handful of times.

Last edited:
Capello is only one example and I doubt if his command of English would enable him to read the English press.
How often did you see a penalty given against Man Utd at Old Trafford? Or have you never heard of Fergy time?
I'm sure most referees are honest but they're also human. Most refereeing decisions are debatable, it's not an exact science but I've watched enough premier league football to form the considered opinion that they're swayed by pressure to give borderline decisions in favour of the big club.It's purely a strong impression.
Referees in Division 1 aren't used to games which are as well attended and competitive as Sunderland fixtures home and away. The fact that several red cards given to Sunderland players have been rescinded indicates referees are error prone and are under pressure in such fixtures. Fervent supporters will be partisan, it's a fact and hardly something to get worked up about. I'm not one of them, I've only been to SoL a handful of times.

The problem been when a refs decision is debatable like you correctly say, it’s highly possible with the spilt second to decide to get them wrong which undoubtedly happens.

There will have been loads of 50/50 decisions against and for Man United, and loads for them where that was just the refs honest and genuine opinion, but rather than accepting that fans and media always looking for a non story.

In other sports like Rugby and cricket, there is acception of this, however in football it’s always a conspiracy.

That’s not to say on the odd occasion a ref would have be influenced by a crowd, as only human but on the whole,imo it’s no way near as widespread as fans have and do make out.

I also find it ridiculous that players, managers and fans to a certain extent go out of their way to make the refs job as diffcult as possible by cheating constantly, then have bare face cheek to question the ingerity of the ref

Last edited:
I'm glad we agree on something. Probably the most annoying factor in modern football is simulation which is now rampant. If the authorities used video evidence retrospectively for suspected incidents as they do for violent incidents and punish severely they would eliminate it from the game in no time. It must be particularly difficult to judge suspected simulation live.

I'm glad we agree on something. Probably the most annoying factor in modern football is simulation which is now rampant. If the authorities used video evidence retrospectively for suspected incidents as they do for violent incidents and punish severely they would eliminate it from the game in no time. It must be particularly difficult to judge suspected simulation live.

Yeah 100% agree, and actually think they frightened to do that, it might sound extreme but points deduction for it when it is clear after replay and done retrospectively would sort it out.

The problem is now not only is a rampant they getting better and better at as well, meaning like you say very diffcult in real time.

Last edited:
I would suggest that a game at the end of September or beginning of October, where it's either poured down or drizzled through the four days, even with covers on, would not be conducive to providing a decent pitch.

This is where the ECB can be held to account. Why schedule games when titles, promotions and relegations may be at stake, knowing there is a real possibility of it pissing down, and then be surprised by a sub-standard pitch when it does?

I would suggest that a game at the end of September or beginning of October, where it's either poured down or drizzled through the four days, even with covers on, would not be conducive to providing a decent pitch.

This is where the ECB can be held to account. Why schedule games when titles, promotions and relegations may be at stake, knowing there is a real possibility of it pissing down, and then be surprised by a sub-standard pitch when it does?

I think you were right in your opening post, when you said Somerset have had this coming, suggesting you have the opinion (correctly) that they have done this before a few times and got away with it.

That's the point for me their previous warnings and previous sub standard pitches they have produced, they were clearly on their last warning and imo it was right to penalise them.

Guess the debate is was it the time of year, or did Somerset purposely produce a result pitch in a game they had to win, only Somerset no the real answer to that question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back