Someone calling from Mams number - scam ?

Sounds like her number has been spoofed @Nookie Bear , similar thing happened to me a while back, had a few people calling saying they were returning the call.
I just said I know nothing about it and then blocked them so the can't call back etc.
Think it can just be random, haven't had any problems like that in a while tbf.
This happened to me last year too. Really confusing when I picked up and said 'hello' and the the other person 'Hello' back...

"I just had a call from this number" I said.

Lass on the other end says "I didn't call you - you called me"

And on it went for like 5 mins 😄

She got pretty pissed off with me as if it was my fault 😄😄

Dad had one, got a text asking who he was & why he'd phoned. So rang back saying he didn't etc, which lead to a bit of an argument & women on other end sending an abusive text after he'd hung up. A few years back, I got a missed call & rang back & person on other end denied they'd phoned me. But apparently its scammers spoofing numbers.

We've had a phone calls over the last few weeks from random companies down south. Places like butchers or chip shops.
The name of the company comes up on my phone so I just ignore it.

Personally I wouldn’t answer calls from any number I don’t know

If she does the same, problem solved
That's a good idea, but organisations like NHS don't show a number when they call my dad, so he has to answer unknown numbers in case it's the hospital making an appt etc. Think the NHS etc could at least use the switchboard number to show if the elderly should answer.

Dad had one, got a text asking who he was & why he'd phoned. So rang back saying he didn't etc, which lead to a bit of an argument & women on other end sending an abusive text after he'd hung up. A few years back, I got a missed call & rang back & person on other end denied they'd phoned me. But apparently its scammers spoofing numbers.
Spoofing numbers is on the rise. Ofcom recognises that caller ID allows this, but so far there has been no global cooperation on fixing it.

I work at a university and someone has been calling students from what looks like the main switchboard number, even using names of people in finance (available online), then trying to get bank details. One student was told they were transferring the call to her bank, then the person said I’m you bank the uni has filled me in with the details, this is your new account number and sort code, we just need to transfer your account balance to it. She realised at that point.

It feels like every mail, call and advert has the potential to be a scan at the minute, and there is some real thought behind them.

I used to have an elderly customer who would answer his telephone by giving his name :eek: Poor bloke was inundated with scam calls, usually automated. I got rid of my "landline" about ten years ago, the only people who called were scammers, usually Indians, everyone I knew would call me on my mobile.

Back