Someone calling from Mams number - scam ?

Nookie Bear

Winger
Bit of an odd one mam has been getting calls from genuine people who are returning a call from her number

She has called EE and they’ve not spotted anything odd in her account and only suggested she changes her phone number but as she’s elderly that doesn’t appeal as she has it registered with so many places

Has anyone heard of this ? Anything she can do to stop it ?

Short of changing her number there isn't much you can do.

Its so easy for the scammers to spoof a number via caller-id. The calls won't be coming from EE, they will probably be from a call centre in Kolkata.

I believe scammers can spoof any number. Our work mobile numbers are in consecutive blocks, I had a call from one about 20 away from my own number who was definitely not a work colleague.

As long as she’s not at any risk of being scammed herself think she will just have to explain to people what’s going on or start making a list of who she needs to change number with - she’s had about a dozen different people ring ‘her’ back and a couple have been quite arsey with her.

Is this a mobile or landline number?

If mobile it could be a ‘sim swap’ scam, have her make sure her mobile contract provider hasn’t been compromised/hacked and someone asked for a new sim sent elsewhere

Check on here to see if it is being reported https://who-called.co.uk/ but there's not a lot you can do. I think they'll eventually stop using it but looking on there, it's sometimes months.
Checked and her number has been looked up just once a week ago so it is hopefully just small scale and will Peter out
Is this a mobile or landline number?

If mobile it could be a ‘sim swap’ scam, have her make sure her mobile contract provider hasn’t been compromised/hacked and someone asked for a new sim sent elsewhere
It’s her mobile , EE have checked and said nowt unusual her number hasn’t been double assigned etc

Sounds like her number has been spoofed @Nookie Bear , similar thing happened to me a while back, had a few people calling saying they were returning the call.
I just said I know nothing about it and then blocked them so the can't call back etc.
Think it can just be random, haven't had any problems like that in a while tbf.

Bit of an odd one mam has been getting calls from genuine people who are returning a call from her number

She has called EE and they’ve not spotted anything odd in her account and only suggested she changes her phone number but as she’s elderly that doesn’t appeal as she has it registered with so many places

This happened to me and I assumed that my number had been spoofed. I generally never answer calls from numbers that aren’t in my directory. After about 24 hours the calls stopped after an elderly lady left a message and I contacted her to inform that I hadn’t called her etc and to beware of scammers.

Personally I wouldn’t answer calls from any number I don’t know

If she does the same, problem solved
I have 2 phones - one is a business number which is out there and is essential for new customers who’s number I obviously wouldn’t recognise or in contacts.
The other is personal use and like yourself I only answer contact numbers not random ones .
Works well tbh.

Aye heard of it but not entirely sure how you report it

I had a text from EE earlier saying my direct debit hadn't gone through and I should contact them, I don't even have EE for my phone.
I've blocked the number.

Back