Soldier commits suicide because of army sexual harrasment

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

So much of this stuff gets swept under the carpet in the army so hopefully this is a breakthrough moment. At least something good might come out of this terrible situation.

Felt so sad reading this. Tougher sanctions should have been imposed by the army at the time .

Rip Jaysley
4500 WhatsApp messages over a two month period and they're calling the harassment "a casual factor" in her suicide!

Bastard needs charging with her murder!

Felt so sad reading this. Tougher sanctions should have been imposed by the army at the time .

Rip Jaysley
Good grief she was 19. I cannot imagine the pain her family are feeling.

This is terrible.

Lets hope things change to try to make sure this does not happen again.

Bet the army is rife with shite like this.
It's not rife, but it's far more frequent than it should be. It happens in any institution where you have authority gradients that can be abused. And it's not just misogyny either. I saw toxic behaviours from all genders and sexual orientations.

The army changed massively in the time I served. Better inclusivity is making it more effective on operations and less tolerant of these toxic (and illegal) activities. There are clear policies to prevent or deal with these situations. If soldiers do not trust the chain of command, they have a civilian ombudsman they can raise the issue with for an independent investigation.

But it needs people to stand up for those being harassed because it's a really isolating experience for the victim. The culprit in this case should - and probably will - be held fully accountable.

Rip Jaysley

Im not being funny but aren't our armed forces VERY woke and inclusive these days?

That's my impression so im surprised in 2023 that this could happen.

RIP the lass btw if that's actually the truth

Read this earlier today and found it an absolute disgrace. A young woman driven to kill herself by someone in authority who should know better. Thousands of messages. They should be charging him and putting his name in the public domain to see how he likes getting harassed. Scumbag.

Her family are saying she knew they wouldn't have taken it seriously and seen her as a trouble maker. The article even references a past similar situation where it wasn't dealt with properly.

Just look at the amount of arse covering and you can see why she felt nothing would happen. Though the report being released is a positive.
The previous incident was concluded with the suggestion that the offending party write an apology to Gunner Beck.
😐

Back