Solar panels worth it?

We got our solar panel invertor fixed in the autumn because it didn’t seem to be working and my energy bills have actually come down since winter. That’s in winter, in Hertfordshire. I’m looking forward to summer.

We have a smart meter and I’ve noticed even early in the morning it’s showing as 0kwh - ie everything is free - that’s lights, laptops, video calls for work, everything on standby etc. It’s a low power system (15yrs old) so it doesn’t quite cover boiling a kettle but I’ll be interested to see what happens in July.

Nah it was 15 before the price increases and around 9 now apparently.

That’s from September.

Checking some numbers, we get to the expected results: cities in the south come out with the lowest payback years. While the national average is 9.5 years, it takes only 8.4 years in Plymouth, Exeter and Truro (the top three) for a domestic solar panel installation to pay for itself. However, cities in the north are not as left behind as one would expect.

see the prices are about 6 grand is it worth doing? Can you pay in instalments?

Think it pay off long term. Government should give us help to go greener!
It depends how you use them. If you have someone at home all day solar panels will drive a decent electric heater and do all your washing while the sun is shining. Saves me a bit.

That’s from September.

Checking some numbers, we get to the expected results: cities in the south come out with the lowest payback years. While the national average is 9.5 years, it takes only 8.4 years in Plymouth, Exeter and Truro (the top three) for a domestic solar panel installation to pay for itself. However, cities in the north are not as left behind as one would expect.
Cheers. Like I say, just passing on what was being discussed on the radio. Wouldn't know the first thing about it myself.

I think it was Five Live at about 1.45pm today should @cowan86 or anyone want to give it a listen online.

That’s from September.

Checking some numbers, we get to the expected results: sunny cities in the south come out with the lowest payback years. While the national average is 9.5 years, it takes only 8.4 years in Plymouth, Exeter and Truro (the top three) for a domestic solar panel installation to pay for itself. However, cities in the north are not as left behind as one would expect.
How far east you go has a big effect on how sunny it is. The east coast gets more sun than the west.

Back