Solar panels worth it?

full

My last 7 days generated. Dunno what it translates as into a typical days usage. They were on the house when we bought it.

The FIT scheme was limited to 4KW of production, above that I believe it was a lower rate.

Bear in mind, it was only 5% VAT in the first place, so you'll barely notice any difference.
Its because 4kw is the limit you can do at single phase without going to g99 approval. 16 amps per phase is the max you could go which is 10kw 3 phase, more accurately 3.67kw single phase.

We bought a house with them fitted, for last 2 years no one has really been there, so the FIT payments have made me around 1500 quid a year, which pays 3/4 of the council tax. Monthly leccy bill is still 17 pounds a month, and will be going up. Might look into a system that can power the house while I'm away and still feed in the system for the FIT payments.

Would a general sparky be able to advice, or I have to go to someone who specializes in solar power stuff?

Last edited:
Latest numbers --> https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-01/FIT Rates RPI Update 22-23 - Final.xlsx

Doesn't seem be a major reduction for larger schemes - thought it was much more than that.
Also, I think mine counts as "Retrofit", so actually its 60.23/unit, not 52 ish?
Just to be clear, there are no FITs for new installations.
We bought a house with them fitted, for last 2 years no one has really been there, so the FIT payments have made me around 1500 quid a year, which pays 3/4 of the council tax. Monthly leccy bill is still 17 pounds a month, and will be going up. Might look into a system that can power the house while I'm away and still feed in the system for the FIT payments.

Would a general sparky be able to advice, or I have to go to someone who specializes in solar power stuff?
Solar does that anyway.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the low amount I'm paying is for night time and cloudy days (Nee sun). To say I'm in C&I profession, I really don't know too much about this solar stuff and the tech around it.
Yes, unless you have storage, what you generate but don’t use in your house will go back on to the grid. If the house is empty tho you should use next to nothing? If you have a FIT agreement you will get paid for what you generate and also an export tariff, which if you signed up way back when before smart meters, will probably be on an assumed figure of 50% of what you generate going back on to grid.
So the big tory landowners with their solar farms are quids in still, while Joe Public gets fucked over as usual
I always get dragged in to this. Don’t worry about me mate I’ll be fine.
Saying 2.8 kw is about 5 grand without a battery. Will this generate a lot of electricity?
Depends on orientation and pitch of roof, but probably around 2,500kwh per year. Have you shopped around for quotes?

I’d recommend Solaredge system, HD wave inverter, optimisers per panel and solaredge smart panels.
Nah it was 15 before the price increases and around 9 now apparently.
I’ve never done a payback calc for years that has shown anywhere near as long as 15 years payback period, not since April 2010.

Last edited:
Had some put up on allotment roof over Easter. They were bit dear and the waiting list was getting sillier by the month (ordered them late last year and delivery date was changed four times). But now a few days with them up it is quite possible the best buy I have ever made for allotment.
you cant just say 'put some up'

the nerds among us need details - panel spec, wattage, micro-inverters or charge controllers, inverter, batteries, etc

the nerds among us need details - panel spec, wattage, micro-inverters or charge controllers, inverter, batteries, etc

:lol: Am not very technically gifted and all I did was watch other people put them up and plug them in.

Logon or register to see this image

Sorry for the picture quality.

Last edited:
:lol: Am not very technically gifted and all I did was watch other people put them up and plug them in.

Sorry for the picture quality.

lol, thought i had cataracts for a mo

;)

system looks good - its all anyone needs for an allotment shed or some such

also has plenty of roof space to throw on extra panels and space for more batteries (although not sure how comfortable i'd feel with those batteries where they are if they are lead acid)

cant quite make out the wattage on the inverter, but looks to be plenty beefy enough to up the pv capacity

lol, thought i had cataracts for a mo

;)

system looks good - its all anyone needs for an allotment shed or some such

also has plenty of roof space to throw on extra panels and space for more batteries (although not sure how comfortable i'd feel with those batteries where they are if they are lead acid)

cant quite make out the wattage on the inverter, but looks to be plenty beefy enough to up the pv capacity

They had three different set-ups to pick from. The sales person guided me through them. The first one couldn't have much plugged in, the third one could have telly, computers, hoover, kitchen gadgets, fridge and all sorts plugged in. But I went for the middle one. It can have a lil' fridge plugged in, five lights (which I don't use), a fan, a toastie maker and charges for devices. I figured that would do me. Then if I later find out I need a bit more umph I can add two more batteries he said.

I will take a better picture later on when am back there.

That’s a great shed! I’d live in it.

Thank you. Unless someone near by is cutting the hedge or the grass it is wonderfully tranquil there. Perfect for the odd nap. :)

Last edited:
Right. Thinking about getting a battery. We only have a small system - see above, 2.8kw with a estimated annual generation of 2079kwh.

At the minute we charge our electric car overnight and it only costs us £2.50 odd because we’re paying 8p pkwh on fixed rate which ends in October.

I’m thinking those rates will go up a lot by then so I’m wondering if a battery is a good option. Throughout the day, even on a mildly sunny day, my smart meter regularly registers 0kw usage even with 2laptops on, fridge etc. only when the kettle or washing machine is on does it go up. I’m wondering if we have enough spare capacity even off 2.8kw to store in a battery to charge the cat or use overnight for other stuff.

How much is a battery installation off an existing PV system, anyone know?

Mine is 3KW too, and I'm well over 50p for FIT, I think I'm in year 11. But still a 3KW system for say 4 hours in the middle of the day can push 12KWH into a battery to feed the car later in the day.

Did you get a battery in the end @PTR?

A
Wasn't really a popular option when I got my panels in 2011, so no.

If I had the cash, I'd probably go with about 3KW with a battery this time though. As sell-back rates are appalling.
What do you mean by sell back rates? The FiT rates? I thought they were rubbish atm?

I got my FIT payment yesterday - £345 for the quarter. And it looks like my generation rate has gone up from 56p to 60p. Any idea why they’re going up??

Back