Snooker thread

Indeed. Its very difficult to compare different generations, I've noticed in other sports also their is a tendency to say the latest World champ is the greatest, seems a natural tendency.
Was a valid point raised yday by Hendry and Davis I hadn't really thought about when they both said Ronnie is the GOAT. Said the modern crop are better players. But more importantly, given the span of years he's been competing, and winning, has meant he's had to improve and adapt as different decades/eras produce different standard and types of player. Until that valid point I was thinking Hendry’s seven was probably more impressive, as it was over a shorter period. I realise now I'd looked at the completely wrong.

Last edited:
Different era's. I've noticed it in chess that the modern GM's always say the latest best is the GOAT, but its not so at all. Sometimes the players closest to the sport dont even realise this.
That's been explained away, by players close to it, and those removed. Ronnie is the GOAT. No doubt about it like.

My fave was Drago. Didn't give a shite and absolutely lightning :cool:

That's been explained away, by players close to it, and those removed. Ronnie is the GOAT. No doubt about it like.

My fave was Drago. Didn't give a shite and absolutely lightning :cool:

Alex Higgins for me.

Some of the shots Trump played the other day and had the commentators doing cart wheels Alex was knocking in as standard years ago.

You couldn't. All of those players even know its Ronnie.
There is a difference between greatest and best. Ronnie has never consistently been the number one player.
Interestingly, the most devastating performer for me has been Trump at his peak. If he can address some crucial flaws in his game (bring in Reardon?) he could end up smashing a lot of records.

Last edited:
There is a difference between greatest and best. Ronnie has never consistently been the number one player.
Interestingly, the most devastating performer for me has been Trump at his peak. If he can address some crucial flaws in his game (bring in Reardon?) he could end up smashing a lot of records.
Yday Hendry, Davis, Parrott and Doherty all agreed that if you look at every player at their best Ronnie is the best of them. Think Davis and Hendry said he was better by a distance and Parrott said we will never see anyone like it again. Each to their own but I agree with them.

Last edited:
Yday Hendry, Davis, Parrott and Doherty all agreed that if you look at every player at their best Ronnie is the best of them. Think Davis and Hendry said he was better by a distance and Parrott said we will never see anyone like it again. Each to their own but I agree with them.
They always say that though. Someone always pops up better than the ones before.

I see Michael Holt (aged 43) is the favourite to win the World "seniors" championship!

I know hes dropped off the main tour but to be considered a senior by virtue of that is a bit of a joke.

Last edited:
I see Michael Holt (aged 43) is the favourite to win the World "seniors" championship!

I know hes dropped off the main tour but to be considered a senior by virtue of that is a bit of a joke.
Best of it is, the old stars everyone wants to see will get crushed early doors by journeymen "seniors!"

Back