Smoking Phased Out

Anyone who already smokes won’t be affected. Considering how much time, effort, and money is currently devoted to helping those who do smoke give it up it would appear plenty of smokers regret having started. Some on here have said they don’t do it in front of their kids so presumably don’t want them to start smoking or to damage their health?
I don’t understand how any parent could look at the evidence and honestly say they’d like to see their child start smoking.

To be fair, this is what Sunak is doing. He is chasing policies that he has a personal interest in. Like funding for cricket and chessboards. This is another. He hates smoking, so smoking becomes a priority for his govt, even tho it is against traditional conservative values (hence the party opposition).

Labour and the other parties are fully behind it so even if it wasn't being done now it would in the next parliament.

The key to society is letting smokers kill non-smokers and let our streets become disgusting because of their filthy discards?
So the key to society is to remove everything that harms people. Alcohol, sugar, fat, cars, gambling, smoking. Why not hand over all our rights and let others put us all in a bubble away from harm. This is a backward step and the puritans won't stop at smoking, they are already going after our food. Puritans never stop, they want everyone to live a joyless grey life like their own.

Out the million things to have a pop at the government about this isn't one of them. The paranoia of some people must be off the scale
I think it is credible that Sunak has done this just make himself feel better. Why else would he choose something that would appeal to some of those voters the Tories have lost because of their despicable behaviour and ineptness? Why not choose something more 'red meat' like?

Paranoia? :)
Nah - this bill doesn't even register on the scale. It doesn't affect me in any way as I don't smoke and never will do.

Vote grabber just before an election.
Unworkable.
Tax revenue suicide.
Never happen in reality.
If they cant stop people in corner shops selling cheap illegally imported baccy under the counter, how the fuck are they going to police this?
Laughable, populist shite.

I’ve had non-smoking family members die early because of passive smoking.

That’s the difference.
What about drink drivers and victims of physical household drunken abuse?
Unworkable.
Tax revenue suicide.
Never happen in reality.
If they cant stop people in corner shops selling cheap illegally imported baccy under the counter, how the fuck are they going to police this?
Nah, you're paranoid thinking that mate. :)

I think it is credible that Sunak has done this just make himself feel better. Why else would he choose something that would appeal to some of those voters the Tories have lost because of their despicable behaviour and ineptness? Why not choose something more 'red meat' like?

Paranoia? :)
Nah - this bill doesn't even register on the scale. It doesn't affect me in any way as I don't smoke and never will do.

His ludicrous decision to scrap the northern leg of HS2 to, supposedly, spend the "money saved" locally was part of that red meat - and that didn't even need a vote. Just done by primeministerial edict.

Unworkable.
Tax revenue suicide.
Never happen in reality.
They could start imprisoning shopkeepers.

Err hang on they have already done that. For something they didn’t do!

The key to society is letting smokers kill non-smokers and let our streets become disgusting because of their filthy discards?
Mate, if they really want to stop smoking, they would just ban the sale of tobacco full stop.

But they won't. The revenue is too great.
They have done the populist bit, like banning it indoors in pubs etc. And even as a smoker, I have to say that was a good move. The environment of pubs, theatres, cinemas etc is much nicer for it. I'll just gan outside.

But they will never implement something that will seriously damage the revenue stream of tax from tobacco.
If they ever do, the non smokers will end up replacing that revenue via a back door tax on something that no one can escape.
Be careful what you wish for marra.
drinkers will be next
£5.00 plus for a pint marra.

Thay already are.

Last edited:
Mate, if they really want to stop smoking, they would just ban the sale of tobacco full stop.

But they won't. The revenue is too great.
They have done the populist bit, like banning it indoors in pubs etc. And even as a smoker, I have to say that was a good move. The environment of pubs, theatres, cinemas etc is much nicer for it. I'll just gan outside.

But they will never implement something that will seriously damage the revenue stream of tax from tobacco.
If they ever do, the non smokers will end up replacing that revenue via a back door tax on something that no one can escape.
Be careful what you wish for marra.

£5.00 plus for a pint marra.

Thay already are.
The tax take on fags must have come right down already surely. There are far fewer smokers now than pre-smoking ban.

The tax take on fags must have come right down already surely. There are far fewer smokers now than pre-smoking ban.
It has marra. But it is still f***ing huge.
They simply cannot afford to lose it.
It is being ramped up because less people smoke, but it will have to be replaced, and non smokers et al will find that the price to pay will start coming from them.

Plus many of the smokers I know get a lot of their supply from "unofficial" European imports. I seem to remember seeing a study of the country of origin of discarded packs and they came from all over but especially Spain and Poland.

It has marra. But it is still f***ing huge.
They simply cannot afford to lose it.
It is being ramped up because less people smoke, but it will have to be replaced, and non smokers et al will find that the price to pay will start coming from them.

It'll be replaced by a vaping duty that was mentioned in last budget. And then like tabs will be gradually increased every year, so by the time tabs have gone vapes will be quite expensive

Only problem drinkers are the problem.
I choose when to drink. Smokers have to smoke every day
Plus the large numbers (that exclude those unreported and we don't hear about) of domestic alcohol-fuelled physical abuse victims - mostly women and children.

I am not advocating banning alcohol. I would be gutted. But we need to consider all of the factors when comparing.

Last edited:
I don't think even Sunk believes it is workable, although he would never admit it.

I gather the number of attacks on shopkeepers increased with age-related sales of other items. It's reasonable to assume the safety of shopkeepers and shopworkers will deteriorate if they need to start refusing sales to 28 year olds, for example, but not 27 year olds.

It's obviously a desperate attempt to grab votes for the upcoming election. The intent to improve people's health is admirable but it's unworkable and people will still smoke one way or another if they want to. I'm surprised they went for this instead of some other gesture in their attempt to gain back some votes after the 14 years of shithousery we have had to endure.

Nah mate, I've no desire to do that after the verbal abuse I received last time from those with a guilty conscience. :)

But it was a relevant point in the context of the smoking ban vote.
"Sunk" :lol: Like that.

"Please welcome the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Ritchie Sunk"

Back