Smoking Phased Out

mental that we should even have to listen to a bunch of rich clowns who make up all these rules

if i want to smoke 30 a day drink 97 units a week and snort cocaine of a hookers bum hole shouldn't that be my purgative.. fuck em

Smoking is rotten like since i packed in proper and mr mrs hasnt the smell after shes had one actually makes me wretch and want to punch her in the neck

Anyone who already smokes won’t be affected. Considering how much time, effort, and money is currently devoted to helping those who do smoke give it up it would appear plenty of smokers regret having started. Some on here have said they don’t do it in front of their kids so presumably don’t want them to start smoking or to damage their health?
I don’t understand how any parent could look at the evidence and honestly say they’d like to see their child start smoking.

Lad I grew up with both his parents smoked and now both have COPD.
He started smoking when he was at college and I imagine they're not happy about it, but they smoked when we were growing up so I can't say I'm surprised he started.

prohibition has never worked in any form in any country

same as this wont work entirely

theres already people selling tobacco and ciggies illegally, they will just get a new set of customers

you could buy tabs under the counter when I was 14 that will always happen
Then it needs people to let the authorities know who are selling tobacco illegally. If it was your kid or grandkid buying fags cheap from the corner shop, would you laugh it off?. I'd be round there with the cops. They need to put extra enforcement on importation as loads manage to get suitcases through choc a block with tabs.

It's a difficult one. I am in favour of a ban subjectively - I loved the difference when smoking was banned in pubs, not finding my clothes stinking of tabs after a gig and not having to breathe im the smoke.

I think then issue is around the inevitable criminality and the difficulties thst arise from prohibition. We already have widespread use of Class A drugs in a way that would have been shocking in my teens and twenties. Counterfeit vapes and cigarettes are already an issue.

I think age restrictions can be more extreme and I'd like to think a ban could work.

The libertarian, "it's my right to do what I like, I'm not harming anyone eise" doesn't hold water. It does have a wider impact and I still have to enter a lot of pubs between smokers on sentry duty on the door.

Well cannibas smokers do casually walk around puffing away. I'm not sure the police would take a hard line on it (unless they got extra funding for special tab police), as once the age gets to about 40, they'd have to stop everyone who looks between 30 & 50 to enforce it properly.
If the smokers are over the age limit & outside, then there's little that places like Steeles could do about it, nor should they be closed down.
Not saying that, but if underage then shouldn't be at the boozer anyway, let alone smoking outside. I honestly do not understand why a 14 year old would take up smoking nowadays knowing the stigma that goes with it. The equivalent of walking around with a tracksuit on with your hand down your pants and a can of fosters in the other. Gives off a bit of a stereotypical image.

While I agree with it in principle I don't know how it will be policed but its better to try something and it not to work than not do anything about it.

Im not a fan of smoking but I always bring them back for mates when I go away if only to save them a few quid

Yes alcohol, yes smacking kids etc etc. But all wrongs don't make a right

at the end of the day it's unhealthy, filthy and expensive.

Booze is only 2 out of the three and doesn't need to be any of them if done in moderation
Then it needs people to let the authorities know who are selling tobacco illegally. If it was your kid or grandkid buying fags cheap from the corner shop, would you laugh it off?. I'd be round there with the cops. They need to put extra enforcement on importation as loads manage to get suitcases through choc a block with tabs.
Anyone selling illegally instantly loses there license to sell tobacco for a month, twice caught a year

Same for selling vapes to underage

Last edited:
like any law it needs buy in from the public,

much like prohibition in america, only a small part of the population really believed in it and the rest thought it was being dumped on them for no good reason, which is why is was actively ignored

speeding is against the law but everybody does it...just some take it further then others, everybody thinks 75 or 80 is ok on a motorway..only a few think over a 100 is fine

same with this, most wont care as they dont smoke anyway , a lot will think what people do to themselves is there own responsibility, and some will be onboard entirely

I am in the middle camp, its personal responsibilty, people know the risks, if they chose to ignore them its their health that suffers. As a smoker you are already paying extra tax...it seems nuts to me that people will essentially set fire to 15 quid but then I pay that for wine , so each to their own
and personally, I would also make cannabis legal...then tax it

I have never smoked, both parents did, all my siblings did, it just never appealed to me.

Last edited:
mental that we should even have to listen to a bunch of rich clowns who make up all these rules

if i want to smoke 30 a day drink 97 units a week and snort cocaine of a hookers bum hole shouldn't that be my purgative.. fuck em

Smoking is rotten like since i packed in proper and mr mrs hasnt the smell after shes had one actually makes me wretch and want to punch her in the neck

Okay by that logic if I want to punch you in the face, slap your wife on the arse and piss on your front door, I should be allowed to? Cos you don’t like rules, right?

Want more people to quite smoking, don't want young people to smoke and want the health of the country to improve. Can't back a law that will eventually make it so a 26 year old can go into a shop and buy a packet of tabs but a 25 year old can't. Adults should have equal rights as eachother and that's how we've built our society. Think people should also be careful what they wish for, the exact same argument for age restrictions on smoking and bans etc could be made for alcohol. Dangerous precedent.

What a surprise. Instead of educating people away from a harmful product, they have to create a law. They’ll never go down the road of educating people properly because at the end of it lies their ultimate defeat. Revolution through education. They’re shit scared of it.

Don’t tell me what I can and can’t put in my own body. Allow me agency over risk assessment. Sometimes I like to do things that I know are detrimental to my health or potentially dangerous as that’s how I know I’m alive and accepting of mortality. Sometimes a negative thing like smoking can actually be a life-affirming statement. I am alive, I have free will, I have agency over myself. As long as I am only physically ‘harming’ myself, it’s nobodies right to tell me I can’t. Just that I probably shouldnt.

like any law it needs buy in from the public,

much like prohibition in america, only a small part of the population really believed in it and the rest thought it was being dumped on them for no good reason, which is why is was actively ignored

speeding is against the law but everybody does it...just some take it further then others, everybody thinks 75 or 80 is ok on a motorway..only a few think over a 100 is fine

same with this, most wont care as they dont smoke anyway , a lot will think what people do to themselves is there own responsibility, and some will be onboard entirely

I am in the middle camp, its personal responsibilty, people know the risks, if they chose to ignore them its their health that suffers. As a smoker you are already paying extra tax...it seems nuts to me that people will essentially set fire to 15 quid but then I pay that for wine , so each to their own
and personally, I would also make cannabis legal...then tax it

I have never smoked, both parents did, all my siblings did, it just never appealed to me.

Surely it only really matters what younger generations think though as it's only those impacted and generally they're more accepting of stuff like this, me included.

What some Gen X blokes think, really is pretty irrelevant. It's very different to banning it overnight and is a fair compromise imo.

I don't think it's even that. I think it's more akin to "I don't like smoking, so I'll outlaw it and that can be my legacy that I can use to help myself get to sleep at night down the line."
Agreed. Absolute desperation and I don't think the tactic will earn him many more votes to be honest.

Take out folk who enjoy a cheeky couple of tabs whilst on the drink, in terms of regular adult smokers the numbers are very low these days and continue to plummet year on year.

What a surprise. Instead of educating people away from a harmful product, they have to create a law. They’ll never go down the road of educating people properly because at the end of it lies their ultimate defeat. Revolution through education. They’re shit scared of it.

Don’t tell me what I can and can’t put in my own body. Allow me agency over risk assessment. Sometimes I like to do things that I know are detrimental to my health or potentially dangerous as that’s how I know I’m alive and accepting of mortality. Sometimes a negative thing like smoking can actually be a life-affirming statement. I am alive, I have free will, I have agency over myself. As long as I am only physically ‘harming’ myself, it’s nobodies right to tell me I can’t. Just that I probably shouldnt.

Haway marra you an intelligent lad but that's not an argument. On the same basis should we be selling heroin over the counter? I know that's taking it to the extreme but thats basically the argument you are making

Back