Smoking Phased Out

I don't think even Sunk believes it is workable, although he would never admit it.

I gather the number of attacks on shopkeepers increased with age-related sales of other items. It's reasonable to assume the safety of shopkeepers and shopworkers will deteriorate if they need to start refusing sales to 28 year olds, for example, but not 27 year olds.

It's obviously a desperate attempt to grab votes for the upcoming election. The intent to improve people's health is admirable but it's unworkable and people will still smoke one way or another if they want to. I'm surprised they went for this instead of some other gesture in their attempt to gain back some votes after the 14 years of shithousery we have had to endure.
I don't think it's even that. I think it's more akin to "I don't like smoking, so I'll outlaw it and that can be my legacy that I can use to help myself get to sleep at night down the line."

I don't think it's even that. I think it's more akin to "I don't like smoking, so I'll outlaw it and that can be my legacy that I can use to help myself get to sleep at night down the line."
I hadn't even considered that but yes I agree that could well be his thinking.

Typical self-serving modern Tory attitude. At least Thatcher, as much as I hated her, was acting to benefit a section of society rather than just herself.

Me being on social media hasn’t harmed anyone. If I smoked, it would harm me, my family and anyone around me instantly.

Silly and desperate comparison.
My point was you know it does you harm and you are still thick enough to come on. I think you need banning from social media for your own good and are too thick to do it yourself. You are banned get off, I don't want to see you here again. Is that cool?

I don't think even Sunk believes it is workable, although he would never admit it.

Or maybe that's part of the plan in that he's hoping it'll all fall apart on Labour's watch, then Tories can blame them for failing on important health legislation

Trying to ban smoking is a great idea. I don’t think it will work but anything that can be done to improve the health of the nation and ease the burden on the NHS should be done.

Now if something could be done about the fat bloke who vapes near me in the ground that would be splendid too.

I'd also like to more done about vaping indoors public spaces. Currently it's left to the owner. I was in a pub last week where a group of lads in their early 20s were stinking the places out with various cherry and bubblegum scents.

I hadn't even considered that but yes I agree that could well be his thinking.

Typical self-serving modern Tory attitude. At least Thatcher, as much as I hated her, was acting to benefit a section of society rather than just herself.

Out the million things to have a pop at the government about this isn't one of them. The paranoia of some people must be off the scale

Personally I'm probably not for an outright ban. I'd massively whack up the tax on it though and ensure that x% of the tax income is ringfenced for cancer treatments on the NHS.

I'm more bothered about the disposable vapes ban. As in delighted that's happening. Scummy little bastards chucking them all over the place.

My point was you know it does you harm and you are still thick enough to come on. I think you need banning from social media for your own good and are too thick to do it yourself. You are banned get off, I don't want to see you here again. Is that cool?
But it doesn’t do any harm to me or my family, so your point is rather silly and ultimately obsolete.

Smoking however, not only kills the smoker, but murders their loved ones - that’s the real tragedy.

It also causes our high streets to look like an ashtray.

Personally I'm probably not for an outright ban. I'd massively whack up the tax on it though and ensure that x% of the tax income is ringfenced for cancer treatments on the NHS.

I'm more bothered about the disposable vapes ban. As in delighted that's happening. Scummy little bastards chucking them all over the place.
I agree with this - there's no need for them to exist at all.

I know it's probably difficult to legislate against but I'd ban the general retail selling of them and put them on prescription. Probably unworkable but just thinking out loud

Ban alcohol too then?

I can see where people would start this argument, but it's not the same as smoking.
If you're smoking you're affecting yourself and those around you. If you're having a pint then you shouldn't affect anyone else.
There's also a massive difference to smoking 10 or even 20 a day compared to drinking 10 pints a day.

It's not really a fair comparison, but I know more people who used to drink and now don't.

This is something we should all agree on.

But it doesn’t do any harm to me or my family, so your point is rather silly and ultimately obsolete.

Smoking however, not only kills the smoker, but murders their loved ones - that’s the real tragedy.

It also causes our high streets to look like an ashtray.
But you said smokers need protecting from themselves, they are too thick to do it themselves. Clearly you believe in intervention and deciding what other people need, so I'm carrying out an intervention on you because you are too thick to look after yourself. Get off social media now.

Out the million things to have a pop at the government about this isn't one of them. The paranoia of some people must be off the scale

To be fair, this is what Sunak is doing. He is chasing policies that he has a personal interest in. Like funding for cricket and chessboards. This is another. He hates smoking, so smoking becomes a priority for his govt, even tho it is against traditional conservative values (hence the party opposition).

I can see where people would start this argument, but it's not the same as smoking.
If you're smoking you're affecting yourself and those around you. If you're having a pint then you shouldn't affect anyone else.
There's also a massive difference to smoking 10 or even 20 a day compared to drinking 10 pints a day.

It's not really a fair comparison, but I know more people who used to drink and now don't.

This is something we should all agree on.
My Dad's drinking definitely had a negative effect on his family at stages over the last 25 years.
I know it's probably difficult to legislate against but I'd ban the general retail selling of them and put them on prescription. Probably unworkable but just thinking out loud
Works fine for cigarette/vape addiction, less so for recreational users like cigar smokers.

But you said smokers need protecting from themselves, they are too thick to do it themselves. Clearly you believe in intervention and deciding what other people need, so I'm carrying out an intervention on you because you are too thick to look after yourself. Get off social media now.
:lol: you should have abandoned this argument a while ago pal.

Alcohol is the better argument, start again and go with that. I don’t drink alcohol though.

Maybe gambling, still a better argument than social media.

To be fair, this is what Sunak is doing. He is chasing policies that he has a personal interest in. Like funding for cricket and chessboards. This is another. He hates smoking, so smoking becomes a priority for his govt, even tho it is against traditional conservative values (hence the party opposition).

I think sometimes you've just got the give credit where it's due. I doubt it's going to win him any votes, it will probably lose him some but fair play it's undoubtedly a great thing to be aiming for

:lol: you should have abandoned this argument a while ago pal.

Alcohol is the better argument, start again and go with that. I don’t drink alcohol though.

Maybe gambling, still a better argument than social media.
I'll never stop arguing with puritans like yourself who think they know better than anyone else and like see to those views enforced on other adults. The world is full of things that we don't like, the key to a happy society is not to ban things you don't like, its tolerance and freedom.

I'll never stop arguing with puritans like yourself who think they know better than anyone else and like to those views enforced on other adults. The world is full of things that we don't like, the key to a happy society is not to ban things you don't like, its tolerance and freedom.
The key to society is letting smokers kill non-smokers and let our streets become disgusting because of their filthy discards?

Back