Smoking Phased Out

Trying to ban smoking is a great idea. I don’t think it will work but anything that can be done to improve the health of the nation and ease the burden on the NHS should be done.

Now if something could be done about the fat bloke who vapes near me in the ground that would be splendid too.

For the people certain in their views about smoking; what is the argument against doing this for other unhealthy vices? Takeaways shops providing meals of a certain calorie or saturated fat.. alcohol? What about gambling...everyone who's got an account now, fine, but no more...when it's actually the "new customer" 18 year olds which are targeted on every advert, bring big brother into that equation as well I suppose.

All well and good saying this ban isn't going to impact anyone now; but if it was such a good idea why would that even be a strong mitigation? Compassion for the addicted? It's just making criminals of future generations as far as I can see in a society where older folks will have the same drug perfectly legally.

The government doesn't *have* to sort everything out. You can't smoke a cigarette, gamble, drink or do anything but I can.

If you are young and want to take up vaping or smoking, knowing fine well all eyes are on you as you are seen as a chav scumbag with shit for brains instead of in your mind as cool, then go for it. Just don't expect a hospital bed in the future. The only time I see smokers are when I am unfortunate enough to pass somewhere like Blandford street, or seeing piss artists at the doorway of places like The railway tavern at 11am on a weekday. If they ban tobacco and it is still available on the black market, will smokers just be casually walking around puffing away knowing they could be given a fine and are places like Steels going to tolerate 20 smokers lurking outside between pints on a saturday night coughing their lungs up?. The place would be closed down overnight and rightfullly so.

Sunak and his latest crackpot scheme.

Great in principle but completely unworkable

The daft kernt
Not really unworkable.

"allo, allo, allo, are you smoking there sir?"

"No...erm...I'm a dragon..."

It'll keep smokers off the streets but not affect people who smoke in the house etc. With cigarettes imported by some entrepreneur.

If you are young and want to take up vaping or smoking, knowing fine well all eyes are on you as you are seen as a chav scumbag with shit for brains instead of in your mind as cool, then go for it. Just don't expect a hospital bed in the future. The only time I see smokers are when I am unfortunate enough to pass somewhere like Blandford street, or seeing piss artists at the doorway of places like The railway tavern at 11am on a weekday. If they ban tobacco and it is still available on the black market, will smokers just be casually walking around puffing away knowing they could be given a fine and are places like Steels going to tolerate 20 smokers lurking outside between pints on a saturday night coughing their lungs up?. The place would be closed down overnight and rightfullly so.

Well cannibas smokers do casually walk around puffing away. I'm not sure the police would take a hard line on it (unless they got extra funding for special tab police), as once the age gets to about 40, they'd have to stop everyone who looks between 30 & 50 to enforce it properly.
If the smokers are over the age limit & outside, then there's little that places like Steeles could do about it, nor should they be closed down.

As much as I can't understand people wanting to smoke - it makes them stink and is very harmful - that is their own legal choice currently. The legislation is already in place to protect children and teenagers.

I'd far rather Parliament time was taken to change the legislation on smacking rather than smoking. Hitting children should be illegal, in all circumstances. I am staggered that people still think it is OK to do this.

For the people certain in their views about smoking; what is the argument against doing this for other unhealthy vices? Takeaways shops providing meals of a certain calorie or saturated fat.. alcohol? What about gambling...everyone who's got an account now, fine, but no more...when it's actually the "new customer" 18 year olds which are targeted on every advert, bring big brother into that equation as well I suppose.

All well and good saying this ban isn't going to impact anyone now; but if it was such a good idea why would that even be a strong mitigation? Compassion for the addicted? It's just making criminals of future generations as far as I can see in a society where older folks will have the same drug perfectly legally.

The government doesn't *have* to sort everything out. You can't smoke a cigarette, gamble, drink or do anything but I can.

Perhaps, but it's still a harmfully addictive drug - the majority of its users even say they wish they never started.
Stop making it accessible to a younger audience and that older generation will naturally die off in time.
Smoking will become a thing of the past. Thankfully.

I'm not remotely surprised that my own dipshit Tory MP voted against it as did Braindead Dehenna.

I enjoy smoking and dont eat fatty foods.

Good for you. Smoking induced lung cancer killed my grandad at 59, and smoking induced COPD has left another close family member housebound.

Do you really want to allow young people to be exposed to the harms of smoking tobacco?

I can say it no more clearly than this:

Fuck smoking, and fuck the people who want to allow tobacco to harm the next generation.

And drinkers and obese people, do they not cost owt when they get I'll? That's life. We don't want to go down the route of passing judgement on other peoples lifestyles. Tolerance is a foundation of a free democracy.
Obesity costs the NHS twice what smoking does, and a lot of A&E resources get eaten up by people who drink too much of a weekend.

The problem that I have with this legislation, aside from the fact that it's completely illiberal, is that it's totally unworkable. Bhutan unilaterally banned smoking and rolled it back ten years later, New Zealand inspired this legislation and are in the middle of rolling it back as we speak. They couldn't make it work when they as a nation are relatively isolated, we have an entire continent where smoking remains legal less than 30 miles away. It's widely accepted that the war on drugs has been lost, but people still expect this new law to be enforced.

As much as I can't understand people wanting to smoke - it makes them stink and is very harmful - that is their own legal choice currently. The legislation is already in place to protect children and teenagers.

I'd far rather Parliament time was taken to change the legislation on smacking rather than smoking. Hitting children should be illegal, in all circumstances. I am staggered that people still think it is OK to do this.

Start your own thread .

Good for you. Smoking induced lung cancer killed my grandad at 59, and smoking induced COPD has left another close family member housebound.

Do you really want to allow young people to be exposed to the harms of smoking tobacco?

I can say it no more clearly than this:

Fuck smoking, and fuck the people who want to allow tobacco to harm the next generation.
No you're right - I do enjoy smoking but wish I didn't. I smoke privately however and I'm well conscious of not doing it in front of kids.

Obesity costs the NHS twice what smoking does, and a lot of A&E resources get eaten up by people who drink too much of a weekend.

The problem that I have with this legislation, aside from the fact that it's completely illiberal, is that it's totally unworkable. Bhutan unilaterally banned smoking and rolled it back ten years later, New Zealand inspired this legislation and are in the middle of rolling it back as we speak. They couldn't make it work when they as a nation are relatively isolated, we have an entire continent where smoking remains legal less than 30 miles away. It's widely accepted that the war on drugs has been lost, but people still expect this new law to be enforced.
I don't think even Sunk believes it is workable, although he would never admit it.

I gather the number of attacks on shopkeepers increased with age-related sales of other items. It's reasonable to assume the safety of shopkeepers and shopworkers will deteriorate if they need to start refusing sales to 28 year olds, for example, but not 27 year olds.

It's obviously a desperate attempt to grab votes for the upcoming election. The intent to improve people's health is admirable but it's unworkable and people will still smoke one way or another if they want to. I'm surprised they went for this instead of some other gesture in their attempt to gain back some votes after the 14 years of shithousery we have had to endure.
Start your own thread .
Nah mate, I've no desire to do that after the verbal abuse I received last time from those with a guilty conscience. :)

But it was a relevant point in the context of the smoking ban vote.

Last edited:

Back