Smith & Warner

Julio_Schwarz

Central Defender
Should they and i suppose Bancroft as well be allowed to play international cricket again. I get the whole "second chances" for some stuff but these guys took the piss. At a push maybe Smith is ok to play again given his lack of involvement in the plot other than plain bloody ignorance but bloody Warner should be nowhere near the field of play.

Lets just hold on here !
Altering the surface of the ball has always gone on at every level of cricket, using different methods. All against Cricket Law and the "spirit" of the game.
I never saw this level of abuse directed towards Michael Atherton, the England captain, when he used "soil" from his pocket to "alter" the condition of the ball !
Yes, it is wrong.
Yes the Aussies were found out and punished.
Now, move on, please.

Lets just hold on here !
Altering the surface of the ball has always gone on at every level of cricket, using different methods. All against Cricket Law and the "spirit" of the game.
I never saw this level of abuse directed towards Michael Atherton, the England captain, when he used "soil" from his pocket to "alter" the condition of the ball !
Yes, it is wrong.
Now, move on, please.

Fair enough. I just think the punishment was lenient for them. Sandpaper to me is a scale beyond soil or sweets for that matter. A punishment on the scale of Salman Butt or Asif would have been more fitting for Warner (without the prison like! Length of ban i mean).

Anyway move on i guess.

Should they and i suppose Bancroft as well be allowed to play international cricket again. I get the whole "second chances" for some stuff but these guys took the piss. At a push maybe Smith is ok to play again given his lack of involvement in the plot other than plain bloody ignorance but bloody Warner should be nowhere near the field of play.
They were given suspensions and they served them.

Lets just hold on here !
Yes, it is wrong.
Now, move on, please.

It’s always double standards on here, always has been, if English or Durham there would definitely be less abuse.

Not a doubt in my mind.

It’s always double standards on here, always has been, if English or Durham there would definitely be less abuse.

Not a doubt in my mind.
Not so sure it's double standards though. If any Durham or England player had been as obnoxious as either of those two, I' m sure they'd have received plenty of abuse. The pathetic display of crocodile tears in aftermath interviews discredited them even further.

Not a doubt in my mind.

I think you and others are totally missing the point

It’s not that they got caught with sand paper

It’s the fact they’ve been doing it for years

100% at Perth

Even that I ain’t arsed

It’s Smith holding a press conference to mock bairstow after setting him up, laughing at him

It’s him developing a culture of the worst behaved side in modern cricket history

It’s Warner personally abusing players for years, stuff that has got nothing to do with cricket

They’re twats

The cheating was the bit that caught them out n what got them what they deserve

I have no sympathy

And then crying was that funniest thing I’ve ever seen

Bullies crying as they got caught

100% at Perth

Even that I ain’t arsed

It’s Smith holding a press conference to mock bairstow after setting him up, laughing at him

It’s him developing a culture of the worst behaved side in modern cricket history

It’s Warner personally abusing players for years, stuff that has got nothing to do with cricket

They’re twats

I have no sympathy

This

100% at Perth

Even that I ain’t arsed

They’re twats

I have no sympathy

Not sure what you mean about missing the point, because my point was if a English or Durham players done exactly the same for the same length of time they would receive far less abuse imo.

Wasn’t defending what they did or the length of time their did it, as agree with your point on that and liked your post.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean about missing the point, because my point was if a English or Durham players done exactly the same for the same length of time they would receive far less abuse imo.

Wasn’t defending what they did or the length of time their did it, as agree with your point on that and liked your post.

They never would do that

I totally disagree like

They never would do that

I totally disagree like

You don’t agree when English players do something wrong it is criticised less than if a Australia players done something wrong.

Mine was more of a general point that people’s disgust and abuse varies depending who does it.

I also think if Surrey had signed Bancroft they would have been criticised more than Durham did on this board imo.

Last edited:
Personally I have never liked Warner since he punched Joe Root which I thought was heroically downplayed at the time. When I saw his crocodile tears when he was exposed as a cheat I felt a weird satisfaction. I’ve always admired Smith as a batter, in 40 years of watching the game I’ve never seen someone so unorthodox bat so well. He has no weakness..I don’t like the way the Aussies sledge but it’s in their DNA. I like how they play the game hard. But I hope we smash ‘em in the Ashes!!

Lets just hold on here !
Yes, it is wrong.
Now, move on, please.
Agreed. But atherton did cop flak for what he did which was very minor, in an era when others were bringing Fkn screwdrivers onto the field to fiddle with the ball!! The Aussies were found out and rightly punished. But it did make me smile, of all the Aussie teams I’ve seen that one I really didn’t like.

Last edited:
You don’t agree when English players do something wrong it is criticised less than if a Australia players done something wrong.

Mine was more of a general point that people’s disgust and abuse varies depending who does it.

I also think if Surrey had signed Bancroft they would have been criticised more than Durham did on this board imo.

Where you out of the country when the whole Stokes Bristol saga was going on?

Back