SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Sofia Kenin is less than 24 hours from having more Grand Slam titles than Caroline Wozniacki and Sloane Stephens and the same as Vikotoria Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Li Na, Simona Halep and Sveta Kuznetsova.

Further proof that Slams aren't the be all and end all.

Seems like Tsitsipas has had break points on pretty much every Djokovic serve , just can't get the break.
Sofia Kenin is less than 24 hours from having more Grand Slam titles than Caroline Wozniacki and Sloane Stephens and the same as Vikotoria Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Li Na, Simona Halep and Sveta Kuznetsova.

Further proof that Slams aren't the be all and end all.
Haha mabye not in the womens game which admittedly I don't follow, however it certainly is in the mens game.
No fake Djokovic mto today, funny that.
Fully deserved that for the Greek, this match has been a lot closer than the scoreline suggests.

Last edited:
Great tennis match, high quality, tsitsipas really showing what he can do....got to fancy rafa on Sunday was just solid on every aspect of his game today.

Great effort from Tsitsipas, good to see after his choke against Coric last month. Massive props for how clutch he was in that fourth set. When the best returner of all time is 1/11 on break points then you must be doing something pretty impressive in the big moments. No shame in the final result for him. A Grand Slam champ in waiting.

Very much looking forward to this final. With these conditions Nadal's forehand not ripping up high and falling more often than usual into the strike zone of Djokovic's backhand it could change things. Odds are the same as they were in 2014, probably about right. Only ever really gonna be Djokovic you could price him that high against on clay. Never really had a classic RG final between the two of these so hopefully we get that on Sunday. If it's half as good and dramatic as their 2013 semi then that'd be ideal.

Thought Djokovic was miles better than the Greek. In the fourth set he had so many break opportunities in every game of the fourth set. Yet the Greek won his only break point at the crucial moment.

It was not what you would call an intense five setter, and Djokovic will be ready on Sunday.

Winning your first Slam at 19 years old without dropping a set or even being forced to a tie break :lol: that's ridiculous.

Fair play to anyone who predicted both Sofia Kenin and Iga Swiatek to win a Slam this year. Amount of new young Slam winners on the WTA over the last 4/5 years is quite impressive, even Halep was only 26 when she won the French.

Today will be the first time since 2003 that Fed and Rafa will be level on Slam titles or the first time since 2006 that Djokovic will be one behind Rafa...

Seems quite a few people are quoting 'conditions suit Djokovic better' just because they've seen other people say it, if it's windy it's hardly gonna suit him. More unknowns going into this match than probably ever before, people making bold predictions of saying he has no chance or that he'll win easy just need to relax. It's complete guesswork.

Five sets and four and a half hours of tennis please :)

Roof on, indoor conditions throughout, minimal wind, colder temperature = Big advantage for Novaks game.....hoping for Rafa in my heart, but my head and bank balance are saying Djokovic in 4

Reverse of the Australian Open match last year. One player at a 6 or a 7/10, the other putting in arguably their best ever performance in this rivalry.

Match has gone now but Djokovic could do with extending rallies here, give himself more margin for error instead of hitting so flat and close to the lines.

Never seen Djokovic so comprehensively outplayed in a slam final, at his peak he managed to go toe to toe with Nadal in the French Open but today he has been totally outclassed.

Class that from Nadal I think he will end up with more slams than Federer but I had always expected Djokovic to end up with the most slams making himself the goat but I am not so sure now. His slam record away from his strongest surface hardcourt is good but not spectacular in only winning 6 non hardcourt slams. He has always had a massive advantage over Federer and Nadal in that he gets two slams a year on his best surface, however I think with the likes of Thiem amongst others finally looking a big threat the Australian won't be such a gimme for him anymore, he can only win the French if he somehow avoids Nadal and Thiem which is almost impossible. Wimbledon may be his best bet as Federer will almost be 40 by next year and none of the younger players seem to be able to play on grass to a high level, he never dominates the US open like he does in Australia so cant count on winning more of them, Nadal for me now looks favourite to win the most slams and go down as the goat if he stays fit, he is still unbeatable in the French and always does well in America.

Back