SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Down to just two Brits in the main draw on men's side and one on the women's and the first day's not even over, that's quite something.

Reckon that Stan has a decent shot this tournament, decent conditions for him. Fancy him to beat Thiem in the quarters. Zverev looking good so far as well, conditions should suit him down to the ground this fortnight. Not many players will be able to hit through him. Could be a fun match in the quarters if it's him and Rafa if their last match on slooooow clay is anything to go off.

Last edited:
Down to just two Brits in the main draw on men's side and one on the women's and the first day's not even over, that's quite something.

Reckon that Stan has a decent shot this tournament, decent conditions for him. Fancy him to beat Thiem in the quarters. Zverev looking good so far as well, conditions should suit him down to the ground this fortnight. Not many players will be able to hit through him. Could be a fun match in the quarters if it's him and Rafa if their last match on slooooow clay is anything to go off.
Stan is 50/1

Just came from two sets and 5-2 down to beat Sam Querrey. Never looked in doubt once he won the third to be honest. Got to Paris late on Sunday after beating Tsitsipas to win the Hamburg title earlier that day, then had to quarantine in Paris for 24 hours so he's had pretty much no time to practice and get used to the conditions.

In the last twelve months he's won four titles, reached the Quarter Final of two Slams and won all four of his Davis Cup matches. 22 years old and he's already came back from a serious injury to get to this level.

He's some player.

Last edited:
Just came from two sets and 5-2 down to beat Sam Querrey. Never looked in doubt once he got that third to be honest. Got to Paris late on Sunday after beating Tsitsipas to win the Hamburg title earlier that day, then had to quarantine in Paris for 24 hours so he's had pretty much no time to practice and get used to the conditions.

In the last twelve months he's won four titles, reached the Quarter Final of two Slams and won all four of his Davis Cup matches. 22 years old and he's already came back from a serious injury to get to this level.

He's some player.
He’s quality. He’ll definitely win a slam.

Tsitsipas in trouble now.

Has there been much money "pumped " into tennis ? Was wondering if our success rate was about right for the investment or lack of ...ps my last game was at topspin Middleton st George about 3O odd years ago -with two great tennis coaches one called Paul ( don't recall his surname but real gent and a Veronica Asquith who was a massive Sunderland fan)..it's a great game and one day might give it another try before my Zimmer arrives!

It was all kicking off in the Errani v Bertens match! Bertens left the court in a wheelchair and I hope Errani has a swear jar because she’ll have to put about £1000 into today.

Has there been much money "pumped " into tennis ? Was wondering if our success rate was about right for the investment or lack of ...ps my last game was at topspin Middleton st George about 3O odd years ago -with two great tennis coaches one called Paul ( don't recall his surname but real gent and a Veronica Asquith who was a massive Sunderland fan)..it's a great game and one day might give it another try before my Zimmer arrives!

Funnily enough it's a big topic right now, Heather Watson has been criticising the lack of support that the younger British players get this week. The kids are always talked up but it's been a little while now since we've had someone to get properly excited about.

It was all kicking off in the Errani v Bertens match! Bertens left the court in a wheelchair and I hope Errani has a swear jar because she’ll have to put about £1000 into today.

Still find it mad she was only banned for 10 months for doping. Of all the dreadful excuses given by players, her (and Gasquet's as well) excuse was the worst I've heard.

Funnily enough it's a big topic right now, Heather Watson has been criticising the lack of support that the younger British players get this week. The kids are always talked up but it's been a little while now since we've had someone to get properly excited about.

Still find it mad she was only banned for 10 months for doping. Of all the dreadful excuses given by players, her (and Gasquet's as well) excuse was the worst I've heard.
She lost the plot today. She couldn’t serve, kept getting the ball toss wrong. 15 times she did an under arm serve.

I suspect Bertens will lose her next match. Any other opponent other than Errani and she would have lost today.

She lost the plot today. She couldn’t serve, kept getting the ball toss wrong. 15 times she did an under arm serve.

I suspect Bertens will lose her next match. Any other opponent other than Errani and she would have lost today.

Yeah she's had the yips for a while, I think since she actually came back from the ban.

Averaging fifteen double faults a match that year apparently :eek: her and Zverev would be a dream doubles team.
Wawrinka bageled in the final set off world number 239 Hugo Gaston :lol: stinker that. Looked like he couldn't be arsed for most of it, just trying to slap winners. Just the 73 unforced errors from Stan. Losing to someone ranked that low who hits 35 winners and 40 unforced errors is f***ing minging.

There was £25,000 matched on Wawrinka to win at 1.02 on betfair after he won the first set.

Last edited:
Kvitova's draw is opening up very nicely. Long way from it just yet but a final v Halep would be fun.

Looking forward to Sinner v Zverev tomorrow, could be match of the tournament that. Interested to see whether Sinner's hitting can get through Zverev on these courts.

Kvitova's draw is opening up very nicely. Long way from it just yet but a final v Halep would be fun.

Looking forward to Sinner v Zverev tomorrow, could be match of the tournament that. Interested to see whether Sinner's hitting can get through Zverev on these courts.
Such a tough one as I'd quite like to see zverev nadal quarter final but sinner looks a future star (won the ATP next gen final last year)

Such a tough one as I'd quite like to see zverev nadal quarter final but sinner looks a future star (won the ATP next gen final last year)

Yeah I really want to see Zverev v Nadal. You'd fancy Nadal to win comfortably but outside of Djokovic and Thiem, Zverev's one of two or three that could actually test him on this surface.

There's a potentially a lot of very fun matches coming up on the men's side very soon looking at the draw actually! A shame Stan lost yesterday, a day with Zverev v Sinner and Stan v Thiem would have been a canny line up.

Back