SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Anyone staying up for the two matches tonight? Azarenka's probably my favourite female player of all time behind Li Na but I certainly wouldn't be against Serena v Osaka II in the final on Saturday night.

Zverev is basically a Dimitrov clone, massively overated because of how he looks and the fact he wins daft tournaments but ultimately will never be good enough to win a slam.

Zverev is basically a Dimitrov clone, massively overated because of how he looks and the fact he wins daft tournaments but ultimately will never be good enough to win a slam.

A bit harsh no? He's only 23. Just grinded his way to a Slam final playing not particularly close to his best. A set and a break down in the quarter and two sets down in the semi.

He's the same age as Meddy bear was last year when he reached his first Slam final and two years younger than Thiem was. There's far far more to tennis than just winning Grand Slams but there's no chance in a few years time we're talking about Sascha Zverev without him being a Grand Slam champ. You don't have a 4-3 winning record against Roger Federer or can beat Djokovic, Wawrinka and Thiem in the final of a tournament if you're any old mug.

A bit harsh no? He's only 23. Just grinded his way to a Slam final playing not particularly close to his best. A set and a break down in the quarter and two sets down in the semi.

He's the same age as Meddy bear was last year when he reached his first Slam final and two years younger than Thiem was. There's far far more to tennis than just winning Grand Slams but there's no chance in a few years time we're talking about Sascha Zverev without him being a Grand Slam champ. You don't have a 4-3 winning record against Roger Federer or can beat Djokovic, Wawrinka and Thiem in the final of a tournament if you're any old mug.

I disagree, slams are the be all and end all, its what you are judged on, Zverev can beat Djokovic and Federer in finals of non slams as they hardly care about them finals. In the slams he can't beat them because he isn't good enough. Fair enough he's got to the final of this one but even then he has only had to play one player ranked in the top 20. I just think hes massively overrated.

I disagree, slams are the be all and end all, its what you are judged on, Zverev can beat Djokovic and Federer in finals of non slams as they hardly care about them finals. In the slams he can't beat them because he isn't good enough. Fair enough he's got to the final of this one but even then he has only had to play one player ranked in the top 20. I just think hes massively overrated.

He was superb against Nadal at the Australian a few years ago. Very unlikely with cramp.

The womens semi finals were probably the best day of womens tennis in years, cracking matches.
Wouldn't mind either woman winning.

Thiem was brilliant last night and hope he wins it as his performances at the french and australia this year would have won him a slam in just about any other era (instead he had to play djokovic in the french semi over 3 days then play a well rested nadal in the final and went to to toe for 2 sets, he really should have won australia as was arguably the better play for 4 sets against djokovic.....where have I said that before, still upset over wimbledon 2019)

Busta must be kicking himself for blowing a 2 set lead against zverev (who is a very good player but needs to get more consistency before deserving that slam for me, hasn't played great tennis and been reasonably lucky with his draw, has grinded it out like a top player to get to the final though)
Really high quality women's final, Osaka very worthy winner (doesn't grunt too which is a bonus)

Last edited:
Reminded me of Halep v Sloane at the French a few years ago that. Azarenka playing at a pretty absurd level for a set and a bit and then just dropping off, could barely find the court with her forehand for just that bit too long. Osaka deserves it though, a proper champ. Stepped it up quite a few levels and was the better player in the end.

Gutted for Azarenka though. How she only has two Grand Slam titles is one of the most baffling things in tennis. Sharapova has over double the amount she does!

I disagree, slams are the be all and end all

They aren't. Never have been, never will be.

Having a big bet on Thiem at 12/1 pre tournament means its almost certain the injury he picked up on Friday will cost him tonight and he will end up getting beat.

Thiem not playing particularly well but this is some big boy tennis from Sascha Zverev, he's been excellent so far. Interested to see if his serve and forehand hold up if he gets close to the finish line.

Thiem not playing particularly well but this is some big boy tennis from Sascha Zverev, he's been excellent so far. Interested to see if his serve and forehand hold up if he gets close to the finish line.
Best I've seen zverev play in a grand slam match in years. This is the tennis that beat Federer and Djokovic back to back in the atp final
Thiem is having an absolute shocker, been so good all tournament, but his gameplan and head has been all over the place.
Thiem may struggle to recover mentally from this missed opportunity and how he's played, I'd seriously doubt hed get a grand slam if this is how he plays when he's the favourite

Last edited:
Think Thiem can still win this.
Zverev playing great tennis but love Thiems temperament. He never flaps.
Still cant understand how he has done so well standing so deep to receive serve

Best I've seen zverev play in a grand slam match in years. This is the tennis that beat Federer and Djokovic back to back in the atp final
Thiem is having an absolute shocker, been so good all tournament, but his gameplan and head has been all over the place.
Thiem may struggle to recover mentally from this missed opportunity and how he's played, I'd seriously doubt hed get a grand slam if this is how he plays when he's the favourite

Yeah I agree, makes it even more annoying that he chooses to play like Murray 90% of the time when he can play attacking tennis like this!

Wonder if the supposed injury Thiem has is bothering him? Match is far from over though yet.

Back