SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Should have been defaulted as well.

Realistically I'm probably the biggest Djokovic fan on this thread but I don't really get why people think it's a harsh decision. Don't volley the ball at speed into a direction where people are stood, it's not that hard.
Aye the mistake was in not defaulting bedene, rather than that incident being used as a reason to let Djokovic off

Aye the mistake was in not defaulting bedene, rather than that incident being used as a reason to let Djokovic off
Lot of media picked up on it and said he should have been defaulted and were just glad he lost to dampen the controversy.
Cameraman played a massive part in not getting bedene defaulted plus think they didn't want to default a guy in the first tournament back, wrong decision but you could see why the umpire made it.
Umpire today was 100% correct

Kvitova blowing 4 MPs including a DF on the first one on her serve to lose 7-6 in the decider to Rogers.

Brady vs Putintseva
Rogers vs

Not many would have thought those 3 would have made the QF at the start of the event. Brady at an absolute push considering she did win a hard court event in the States 2 weeks ago, but many will hardly have heard of them.

Kvitova blowing 4 MPs including a DF on the first one on her serve to lose 7-6 in the decider to Rogers.

Brady vs Putintseva
Rogers vs

Not many would have thought those 3 would have made the QF at the start of the event. Brady at an absolute push considering she did win a hard court event in the States 2 weeks ago, but many will hardly have heard of them.

Rogers is one of a few players I've somehow still got alive in my bracket :lol: Her, Osaka, Serena, Martic, Sakkari, Kontaveit and Elise Mertens. A final of Osaka v Keys is looking just a touch unlikely though I guess...

For once my women's bracket looks significantly better than the men's side.

Rogers is one of a few players I've somehow still got alive in my bracket :lol: Her, Osaka, Serena, Martic, Sakkari, Kontaveit and Elise Mertens. A final of Osaka v Keys is looking just a touch unlikely though I guess...

For once my women's bracket looks significantly better than the men's side.
Martic bit the dust today, but that's still pretty good going, especially Shelby. I guess her win over Serena the other week might have made it a bit less of a complete out of nowhere, but I'm still pretty surprised, and she's beat some good players to get this far. I'd rather others made it ahead of her (Rybakina in particular), but you can't really begrudge her after her awful couple of years of injury and working her way back.

What an absolute knacker Djokovic is , he always seems to be causing bother.

Happy with my 12/1 pre tournament bet on Thiem.
There's a lot of hatred for the greatest tennis player of all time in this thread over the last few pages. Don't worry I'm sure we'll see him beat Federer from match point down a couple more times before the old man retires.

;)

He just isn't a likeable bloke at all that's the problem, he also can't be classed as the greatest until he holds the most slams.

Last edited:

Brady vs Putintseva
Rogers vs

Putintseva always reminds me of a young Vera Zvonareva....with the temperament to match!:eek:

Very fun match going on right now between Berrettini and Rublev for anyone interested. Berrettini hammered his way through the first set and looked very comfortable but Rublev got an early break (first player to break Berrettini all tournament) and fairly easily saw it through.

Big hitting, fun rallies, MASSIVE potential in both players. Wouldn't be too surprised if this was a five setter. Berrettini probably has the edge right now in this match I'd say.

He just isn't a likeable bloke at all that's the problem, he also can't be classed as the greatest until he holds the most slams.

Course he can. I think there's valid reasons to call any of Nadal, Fed or Djokovic the best of all time and number of Slam titles wouldn't be in the top two or three arguments I'd use for Federer.

Very fun match going on right now between Berrettini and Rublev for anyone interested. Berrettini hammered his way through the first set and looked very comfortable but Rublev got an early break (first player to break Berrettini all tournament) and fairly easily saw it through.

Big hitting, fun rallies, MASSIVE potential in both players. Wouldn't be too surprised if this was a five setter. Berrettini probably has the edge right now in this match I'd say.

Course he can. I think there's valid reasons to call any of Nadal, Fed or Djokovic the best of all time and number of Slam titles wouldn't be in the top two or three arguments I'd use for Federer.
Pistol Pete blows them all away at traditional, fast Wimbledon.

Thiem was different class last night, lost 3 slam finals but I reckon now is his time, suprised to see Medvedev is still 7/4 favourite. Have to admit to feeling incredibly smug rite now at my 12/1 pre tournament bet on Thiem;). He will probably get beat in the next round now I've said that.

Thiem was different class last night, lost 3 slam finals but I reckon now is his time, suprised to see Medvedev is still 7/4 favourite. Have to admit to feeling incredibly smug rite now at my 12/1 pre tournament bet on Thiem;). He will probably get beat in the next round now I've said that.
Medvedev looked unreal last night tbf

Medvedev looked unreal last night tbf

He did,will be a cracking semi final if it all goes as expected, however Medvedev lost to a past his best Wawrinka in the Australia Open earlier this year whilst Thiem was beating Nadal and taking Djokovic to 5 sets in the same tournament so I would make Thiem the favourite.

He did,will be a cracking semi final if it all goes as expected, however Medvedev lost to a past his best Wawrinka in the Australia Open earlier this year whilst Thiem was beating Nadal and taking Djokovic to 5 sets in the same tournament so I would make Thiem the favourite.
Thiem isn't playing as well as he did then, Medvedev is playing better - should be a cracker BUT rublev will be tough and thiem needs to be dialled in to get past the demon

Let's try and jinx his opponent again like the last round :lol: Rublev's shite, got no chance here. Easy win for Meddy bear.

I do think this is probably the worst possible match up for Rublev on tour, I fear he's about to get a good beating. Fingers crossed though.

Blew that set Rublev now his head has completely gone.
Shame Thiem Medvedev isn’t the final really, still think the bookies have it wrong making Medvedev the odds on favourite.
Blew that set Rublev now his head has completely gone.
Shame Thiem Medvedev isn’t the final really, still think the bookies have it wrong making Medvedev the odds on favourite.

Last edited:

Back