SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Now strolls into semis after beating Benic- 11th seed

Only the 3rd ever non top 100 player to reach us semis

Wow - can she win this ??

She's playing frighteningly good, being able to readjust that early to Bencic taking the ball as early as she does and hitting as flat as she does is pretty incredible really.

Bit worried she might get caught a bit cold by Pliskova or Sakkari if they manage to maintain a decent level though. As well as Raducanu is playing her opponents level in the last three rounds have been... not particularly high. Expected Bencic to do that today but she lost the plot when Raducanu didn't go away in the first set.

Last edited:
She's playing frighteningly good, being able to readjust that early to Bencic taking the ball as early as she does and hitting as flat as she does is pretty incredible really.

Bit worried she might get caught a bit cold by Pliskova or Sakkari if they manage to maintain a decent level though. As well as Raducanu is playing her opponents level in the last three rounds have been... not particularly high. Expected Bencic to do that today but she lost the plot when Raducanu didn't go away in the first set.

I think that's the worry. I'd be happier if she played Sakkari, who is way less experienced than Pliskova, who TBH should be looking at the remaining players and thinking "I should win my first Slam here". On the other hand, it's entirely possible that we could see a Raducanu vs Fernandez final.

Mentioned it in here last week that it was getting released soon but that Mardy Fish doc on Netflix is excellent. An absolute top man. Very much recommended for all tennis fans. Even non tennis fans would enjoy it.

I think that's the worry. I'd be happier if she played Sakkari, who is way less experienced than Pliskova, who TBH should be looking at the remaining players and thinking "I should win my first Slam here". On the other hand, it's entirely possible that we could see a Raducanu vs Fernandez final.

Yeah I'd agree with you, it has been known for the pressure to get to Sakkari at times as well. She has beaten four Slam champs in Slams this year which is a tad impressive though. Expected Raducanu to get beat both of her last two matches so I won't be predicting owt this time!

A nice 2:00 - 2:30 AM start time over here for Raducanu's semi final it appears, second match on the night session.

Mentioned it in here last week that it was getting released soon but that Mardy Fish doc on Netflix is excellent. An absolute top man. Very much recommended for all tennis fans. Even non tennis fans would enjoy it.

Yeah I'd agree with you, it has been known for the pressure to get to Sakkari at times as well. She has beaten four Slam champs in Slams this year which is a tad impressive though. Expected Raducanu to get beat both of her last two matches so I won't be predicting owt this time!

A nice 2:00 - 2:30 AM start time over here for Raducanu's semi final it appears, second match on the night session.

AH, I'll catch up with the result in that case or go to bed with 5Live on.

I think it is quite incredible - to rise to British number 1 and world 51 (in the 30's if a semi final win) will bring some change in dynamics - some added pressure. However Emma does seem incredibly level headed- she is incredibly likeable and I really hope we have really unearthed a superstar.

All this US Open is missing is a 1st time winner in the men's ;) ;) ;)
Never thought I would say this but its down to Zverev to save tennis:D, Medvedev has shown a few times he can get to the semis and finals of a hardcourt slam but always falls short against the very best so I have zero confidence in him beating Djokovic, I don't have much confidence in Zverev either but he has played the best tennis of his career the last few months and is finally living up to the hype he has been getting for years.

I'm not sure why you think Zverev needs to save tennis?
We are coming to the end of an era when imho the three best ever players have competed against each other.
I doubt it will happen again but I look forward to see who can step up to the challenge.

Just a little quirk, but Berretinni has only been beaten by Djokovic in all the slams this year.
Oz - pulled out injured in 4th round
French - beaten in 4 in QF
Wimbledon - beaten in 4 in Final
US - Beaten in 4 in QF

I'm not sure why you think Zverev needs to save tennis?
We are coming to the end of an era when imho the three best ever players have competed against each other.
I doubt it will happen again but I look forward to see who can step up to the challenge.
Djokovic is the GOAT no doubt but he just isn't a likeable bloke at all is he , done may things over the years to prove this, why would I want him winning all four slams in a year.
Just a little quirk, but Berretinni has only been beaten by Djokovic in all the slams this year.
Oz - pulled out injured in 4th round
French - beaten in 4 in QF
Wimbledon - beaten in 4 in Final
US - Beaten in 4 in QF
He has one of the worst backhands I have ever seen for a top level player, needs to sort that out before he will win a slam unless he just serve bots everyone off court at Wimbledon.

Last edited:
Never thought I would say this but its down to Zverev to save tennis:D,
Not sure I'd want Zverev to be the man to top men's tennis. Say what you want about Djokovic but he's never been accused of this:

"Olga Sharypova, his ex-girlfriend, has spoken further about abuse she says she experienced in a comprehensive interview in the US publication Slate. Last November, in a lengthy interview in Racquet magazine, Sharypova alleged Zverev would punch and choke her during their relationship, leading eventually to her attempting suicide by injecting herself with insulin in Geneva during the 2019 Laver Cup.

Not sure I'd want Zverev to be the man to top men's tennis. Say what you want about Djokovic but he's never been accused of this:

"Olga Sharypova, his ex-girlfriend, has spoken further about abuse she says she experienced in a comprehensive interview in the US publication Slate. Last November, in a lengthy interview in Racquet magazine, Sharypova alleged Zverev would punch and choke her during their relationship, leading eventually to her attempting suicide by injecting herself with insulin in Geneva during the 2019 Laver Cup.
I don't like Zverev at all but I backed him pre tournament at 10/1 and on top of that I don't want Djokovic to get the slam record so have no choice but to support him.

Djokovic is the GOAT no doubt but he just isn't a likeable bloke at all is he , done may things over the years to prove this, why would I want him winning all four slams in a year.

He has one of the worst backhands I have ever seen for a top level player, needs to sort that out before he will win a slam unless he just serve bots everyone off court at Wimbledon.
Totally agree that Djokovic is a knacker and statistically he will be the best but I still rate Federer above him.

Back