SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Amazing. Unreal. 90 mins or so ago it was looking like a gritty, spirited 3 sets defeat for him, but what a turnaround. Late night coming.

Rafa 4/9, Med 7/4.

Amazing. Unreal. 90 mins or so ago it was looking like a gritty, spirited 3 sets defeat for him, but what a turnaround. Late night coming.

Rafa 4/9, Med 7/4.

With their form coming into this tournament, you just know there's a few people somewhere with a betslip of Medvedev and Andreescu to win the tournament.

With their form coming into this tournament, you just know there's a few people somewhere with a betslip of Medvedev and Andreescu to win the tournament.

Yeah, can well imagine. I did get Bianca at 14s, but didn't see what Med was pre tournament. Last I looked it was 11/10 (Medvedev) vs 4/6 at the 1-0 sit down, but don't want to look during a game as my Prime is at least 2, probably 3 balls behind. It's a bit like that Djoko Cincy match, but just on a hell of a bigger stage.

Bit of a Rocky IV moment with the crowd before, ha.

Well that was excellent, not sure I've *ever* seen Rafa get that tight and act like he did at the start of the fifth set. Bit of a plot twist if Rafa ends up with the most Slam titles instead of Federer or Djokovic.

Great stuff from Meddy bear as well this fortnight, playing well in stuff outside of Slams is all well and good but hopefully that's an emergence of a genuine contender going forward.

Well that was excellent, not sure I've *ever* seen Rafa get that tight and act like he did at the start of the fifth set. Bit of a plot twist if Rafa ends up with the most Slam titles instead of Federer or Djokovic.

Great stuff from Meddy bear as well this fortnight, playing well in stuff outside of Slams is all well and good but hopefully that's an emergence of a genuine contender going forward.

I've always maintained this will be the case, GOAT IMO.

Wow sounds like I need to watch the highlights of that match.

I have just won my league game 4-6 7-6 7-5 in about 2h30m - that was pretty epic too ;)

Last edited:
It really is going to be fascinating to see how it all pans out. They obviously came into this slam 20-18-16, with most people expecting Djokovic to close within 1 of Rafa, not Rafa closing to within 1 of Roger. Never write off Roger, particularly at Wimbledon, but you'd have to say it's most likely between Rafa and Novak now, and the difference between 19-16 rather than 18-17 is absolutely huge, especially when you factor in the French Open. Rafa has retired / withdrawn from many a Grand Slam draw, but IF he can stay fit, and if he wants to play until at least 2021, then he'd be pretty likely to get to at least 21 slams.

I'd like to see some odds - I'd make Rafa the overally favourite now. Novak will still go into the Aussie, Wimbledon and US Open next year as the favourite, so plenty of opportunities for him to close in, but many were already handing him the trophy here, and it was until that Londero 2nd round match when some doubts started to creep in. Hopefully Medvedev can continue his progression and build on his US Open showing, and potentially be an increasing spanner in the works. Anyone else, outside of Thiem at the French, stepping up, would be a welcome addition as well.

Just saw 'most grand slam odds' on Bet365. It's currently:
Nadal 5/4
Djokovic 13/8
Federer 5/2

After Wimbledon it was apparently:
Djokovic 11/8
Nadal 7/4
Federer 9/4
I see there are 3 women's events this week, how come there are no men's?

This time last year it was Davis Cup semi final week and they don't have ATP events when that is on, but with the new changes this week, that no longer exists freeing up the calender. It was the same at the start of April, no DC quarter finals resulting in a blank week.

Last edited:
Kim Clijsters coming out of retirement!!

This is my favourite thing that's happened in ages, she'll more than likely be awful given how long it's been but even still.

Not sure what to make of that. Certainly interesting news and a good bit of PR for the tour, and an interesting addition even if she is terrible, but it'll be nearly 8 years when she eventually does play. I wonder what her goals are, like achievement-wise, not emotional? Get back in the top 100, win a WTA title, or actually be competitive on the biggest stages? Imagine if she wins a title before Serena on their respective comebacks :lol:

Very much out of the blue, and was not definitely expecting it. Welcome back Kim.

Not sure what to make of that. Certainly interesting news and a good bit of PR for the tour, and an interesting addition even if she is terrible, but it'll be nearly 8 years when she eventually does play. I wonder what her goals are, like achievement-wise, not emotional? Get back in the top 100, win a WTA title, or actually be competitive on the biggest stages? Imagine if she wins a title before Serena on their respective comebacks :lol:

Very much out of the blue, and was not definitely expecting it. Welcome back Kim.

You weren't necessarily a big fan until recently no? (correct me if I am wrong!)

If Kim in her prime was about (a loooong time ago to be fair), Azarenka of 2012/13 pre injuries and Serena without the pregnancy was about then it would be just as predictable as the ATP winners.

If Justine Henin sees this news and starts up again then the ATP can get fucked, it will never measure up.

You weren't necessarily a big fan until recently no? (correct me if I am wrong!)

If Kim in her prime was about (a loooong time ago to be fair), Azarenka of 2012/13 pre injuries and Serena without the pregnancy was about then it would be just as predictable as the ATP winners.

If Justine Henin sees this news and starts up again then the ATP can get fucked, it will never measure up.

I'd always follow Wimbledon and the US Open, and keep an eye on the French, but it wasn't until around 2015 when I'd take a much closer interest in the full tours and probably 2016 when it replaced football as my favourite sport. Can fully remember her US Open triumphs though, and the especially that Serena moment, but definitely wouldn't have appreciated her prime as much as I would have, if it was today.

There's someone else who has announced today that she is making a comeback, Tatiana Golovin, and some are excited by that, but I must admit I can't remember her at all. They do say good things come in threes...

Anyone bothered about the Laver Cup that starts tomorrow? Unless there are any fixed matches to keep the entertainment and drama going, it looks an absolute mismatch.

Naomi Osaka won her home premier event in Osaka, and with it, has almost certainly secured her place in the WTA Finals in Shenzhen. Sofia Kenin won her 3rd WTA title of the year in Guangzhou, and Karolina Muchova, another fairly new on the scene with a very nice game, won her first ever WTA title in Seoul. On to Wuhan this week, where very big points are on offer. There's also a smaller WTA event in Tashkent where Harriet Dart has come through qualifying.

Good to see Medvedev back up his US Open final by winning ATP St Petersburg without dropping a set. Had to beat Rublev and Coric (in the final), so it wasn't the easiest field. Tsonga beat former Brit Bedene to win ATP Moselle. 2 Chinese ATP 250 events this week, where Edmund, Evans, Norrie and Andy Murray are all in action.
Anyone bothered about the Laver Cup that starts tomorrow? Unless there are any fixed matches to keep the entertainment and drama going, it looks an absolute mismatch.

I've seen bits and pieces over the weekend, the Federer-Kyrgios match was enjoyable yesterday. Still not sure what to make of it, it'll never be tennis' Ryder Cup, but I guess it's harmless fun, pays the players very well, and is a good opportunity for some of them to showcase themselves. The arena ha been packed all weekend as well.

Not sure how much they'll pre plan and manufacture it, as although it can't be won by Day 2, if it was 12-0, then it wouldn't be intriguing going into the final day, but then the ATP do officially recognise it now, and the matches actually count in their H2Hs.

Bit of a blow with Nadal pulling out today, as the planned Fedal doubles and Nadal-Kyrgios matches would have been good spectacles, but the way it has worked out is pretty good with Raonic and Zverez in a winner takes all match, which looks likely to head in a deciding match tie break.

Once the likes of Osaka and Andreescu get a bit more established, and Gauff matures, then I wouldn't mind a women's version materialising, and it would be more balanced on paper, but 'Team World' would likely have the bigger attractions, which is the direct opposite in the mens.

Last edited:

Back