SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

She's said it herself, She's Box Office.

She is and it would definitely make it interesting, but at the same time, this isn't some exhibition, this is the 5th most important event of the year after the slams and is a reward for the 8 best players of the year. The wildcard's are reserved for very special circumstances like winning a slam especially if you've missed half the season through injury, not coming back from a drugs ban - there's literally not even 0.1% chance Maria will get in this. I'd expect them to just stick with the top 8 personally.

I taped it but didn't get round to see it after watching the boxing and Ostapenko, but I went in Twitter an hour or so ago and it was there. Pleased with both winners, may skim through it later today but good that she finally has that first tour title this year.

Six lost finals before this win, not a single set won in any of the six previous. First set today was almost leathal tennis, more even in the second set. And you could see how much it meant to her when she finally won a final and raised both arms in the air, she doesn't normally do that. Smiles all over. :)

I know she has been on the tour for a while now but today was her 49th WTA final. If only she could add another grand slam final to that list and a sneaky win, too.

Bring on the Aussie Open.

Am well excited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_WTA_Finals

The top 6 look certs, Mugu is officially in and I thought Halep was too, but judging by that it's not official yet, but 99.9%. Ostapenko has taken over Konta now even if she loses tomorrow which could be significant. Mladenovic has lost about 9 of her last 10 games so she is pretty much out of contention and Kuznetsova and Vandeweghe will have to do very well in one of Wuhan or Beijing or maybe even both to have much chance.

The main threat stopping the current top 8 is the wildcard spot. The top 7 are automatic qualifiers but the WTA do have the option to use a wildcard for the 8th if they see fit. Stephen may get this after winning a slam and missing most of the year through injury. If Konta finished 7th and Osta 8th then this won't happen as Osta also has a slam, but if it ends how it currently is then Stephens could pip Konta with a potential wildcard.

Danish media are saying our Caroline is certain to be in the season finals now that Mladenovic has already lost in Wuhan. But the way I see it she could still finish eight and lose out to a wild card ?

Last edited:
Six lost finals before this win, not a single set won in any of the six previous. First set today was almost leathal tennis, more even in the second set. And you could see how much it meant to her when she finally won a final and raised both arms in the air, she doesn't normally do that. Smiles all over. :)

I know she has been on the tour for a while now but today was her 49th WTA final. If only she could add another grand slam final to that list and a sneaky win, too.

Bring on the Aussie Open.

Am well excited.

Danish media are saying our Caroline is certain to be in the season finals now that Mladenovic has already lost in Wuhan. But the way I see it she could still finish eight and lose out to a wild card ?

Definitely a lock now after all the 'contenders' have exited early here. Some journalists reckon the wildcard won't be revoked anyway which means Konta may well limp over the line. 5 defeats in 7 now since Wimbledon, not good. Wozniacki on soon against Sakkari. Ostapenko through.

Definitely a lock now after all the 'contenders' have exited early here. Some journalists reckon the wildcard won't be revoked anyway which means Konta may well limp over the line. 5 defeats in 7 now since Wimbledon, not good. Wozniacki on soon against Sakkari. Ostapenko through.

Konta's had a shocking end to the year!

Konta's had a shocking end to the year!

She certainly has. I missed the first set yesterday (bagel) but watched from the midway through the second and she did play OK, but there was always the thought that she would eventually get broken back and her recent record on tie breaks has been very poor. Barty is a solid improving player but she's not losing to the supposed 'top' players - Strycova, Krunic, Barty in recent weeks for a supposed top 10 player is poor. She'll probably end up losing early in Beijing next week, then Hong Kong the weeks after and then Kremlin, just sneak in to the YEF and then win that out of nowhere, ha.

Watching it at the allotment. She just lost the first set. Apparently Sakkari has never won a match against a top ten ranked player so there is hope yet.

I should really be cutting the grass. :oops:

Watching it at the allotment. She just lost the first set. Apparently Sakkari has never won a match against a top ten ranked player so there is hope yet.

I should really be cutting the grass. :oops:

I think it may actually be top 20, but yeah definitely no top 10 wins. I do like her though, built like a specimen but doesn't have the typical powerhouse game that you would think. Obviously there are ranking points to play for and she could yet end the year as #1 which would be massive, but it may not be the worst thing for Caroline to go out here, probably more beneficial than if she was to go out tomorrow or Thursday in the quarters instead - rest up and be fresh for the even bigger mandatory Beijing tournament next week and i don't know if she is scheduled to play in HK or Russia after that, but if not, then fully rest up for Singapore. That's the problem with these tournaments coming thick and fast, you basically finish one and the next one starts immediately.

On the other hand, whilst it would be fantastic for Sakkari's career, more than likely if she does go through she will jut lose to a top 15-20 player and they will get a more favourable path into the latter stages.

I'm watching this one on my phone.

Last edited:
Wuhan Quarter Finals:

Muguruza vs Ostapenko
Pliskova vs Barty

Garcia vs Makarova
Sakkari vs Cornet

What an opportunity for one of those bottom half players to get to a P5 final. Hope it's either Sakkari (ideally) or Garcia. Ostapenko vs Muguruza is a great match up, French vs Wimbledon winner and I fancy Osta to win this one.

Maria Sakkari's 6 match winning run in Wuhan came to an end when she lost in straight sets to Garcia in today's semi final. Barty beat Ostapenko in straight sets to set up tomorrow's final with Garcia.

The final Premier Mandatory tournament of the year starts tomorrow in Beijing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_China_Open_–_Women's_Singles

Some interesting 1st round matches there - Osaka vs Kerber again, they've exchanged wins in recent weeks. Sharapova vs Sevastova US Open rematch, even Muguruza vs Strycova is reasonably interesting.

The week after there are 3 international tournaments and then the final Premier tournament in Russia the week later before the Singapore finals start 3 weeks on Sunday to pretty much wrap up the WTA year.

Most of the top seeds safely through so far in Beijing - Halep, Svitolina, Pliskova, Wozniacki. Konta however is doing her best to make it a 4th straight defeat - lost the first set 1-6 to Niculescu on BT Sport/ESPN now.

Konta's technique is almost Bouchard levels of bad, no real surprise she struggles with people like Niculescu and Hsieh. Krunic and Strycova aren't exactly big hitters either.

Looking at this, one of three players can overtake her number eight spot in the Race to Singapore if they win the final in Beijing.

http://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-race

Still 2 weeks of tournaments after Beijing before the finals start including a Premier in Russia worth 470 points to the winner, I know Konta is scheduled to play in that as well as Hong Kong international next week (worth 280), so she will likely still make Singapore, but go into it on a 7 match losing streak, and then go on to win it :lol:.

I still hope she makes it just for the press coverage and it will be 40 odd years since GB last had a women representative, but from a tennis fan POV it may be better for one of those 3 to take it to avoid further humiliation for Jo. She was so poor today.

Even if she does get pipped it will still be a very good line up with a mix of styles, ages, nationalities etc.

Wozniacki safely through today in Beijing, but a few retirements including Muguruza. Kerber and Stephens also out. Vandeweghe is probably the most realistic contender for Konta's 8th place in the Singapore race and she beat Vekic in straight sets earlier.

Cam Norrie is going well in the Challengers, made his 3rd final in 4 months and won his second event. He starts his Stockton (US) campaign tomorrow. Liam Broady and Klein won their Stockton 1st round matches today. Norrie is up to 136 in the rankings and closing in on that top 100.

A Zverev plays Edmund tomorrow around 2pm UK time in the ATP Beijing 500.

Evans banned for a year, backdated so he can play from end of April next year. Wonder if he gets a Wimbledon wildcard? :lol:

That's an absolutely awful excuse :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back