SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Aye,

So there'll be one of the following in the QFs:

Siniakova/Kozlova (not quite Ostapenko vs Azarenko)
Makarovs/Strycova - capable players but Strycova was on an 8 game losing streak coming into this and Makarova seemed on the decline and pulled out of a recent tournament injured so was doubts over her fitness
Putintseva/Brady
Wang/Martic

Martic will be favourite I reckon.
Makes it interesting it's so open considering I have kerber

Borotra stand, near the corner with Brugnon, lower section, row 9. Better half is a few rows back in the upper section, though I'll have to swap later so she can be closer to Rafa!
Great stuff, enjoy. Remember Rafa’s got nothing going for him, well apart from his good looks, money, glittering sporting career.
Good win for Kvitova there.

Makes it interesting it's so open considering I have kerber

Well Kerber is in the top half so that section won't affect her at all until the final and in reality, it'll also more than likely just make someone like a Svitolina or someone's journey to the latter stages more straightforward.

It's not really a huge surprise because Venus and Konta are shite on clay plus Venus is nearly 40, Ostapenko blows hot and cold and is so unpredictable and Azarenka has only had about 5 matches since last Wimbledon but as I say, for TV and local fan interest, an Ostapenko vs Azarenka match will be a lot more anticipated than e.g. a Siniakova/Kozlova (who a lot won't have heard) and bar Siniakova at a push, it's not as if any of them are really young and exciting prospects where they could really break out, like a Kuzmova, Dolehide or Vekic could if they were in that section.

Good to see Stan turning that match around, I thought he was done at 4-2 in the first set when he called the trainer and went on to lose it 6-2, but he's now a break up in the 4th and if he keeps on holding, he'll get through.

Well Kerber is in the top half so that section won't affect her at all until the final and in reality, it'll also more than likely just make someone like a Svitolina or someone's journey to the latter stages more straightforward.

It's not really a huge surprise because Venus and Konta are shite on clay plus Venus is nearly 40, Ostapenko blows hot and cold and is so unpredictable and Azarenka has only had about 5 matches since last Wimbledon but as I say, for TV and local fan interest, an Ostapenko vs Azarenka match will be a lot more anticipated than e.g. a Siniakova/Kozlova (who a lot won't have heard) and bar Siniakova at a push, it's not as if any of them are really young and exciting prospects where they could really break out, like a Kuzmova, Dolehide or Vekic could if they were in that section.

Can't see ITV prioritising any of those matches.

I hope Novak looks good here.

That Trungelliti story is brilliant like, saw someone describe him as as the Happy Gilmore of tennis a few years ago and the last 24 hours have just added to it.

Good to see Stan turning that match around, I thought he was done at 4-2 in the first set when he called the trainer and went on to lose it 6-2, but he's now a break up in the 4th and if he keeps on holding, he'll get through.
Stan out. Top marks to Garcia Lopez for his smart Lacoste tops.

Great match that, proper clay court grind. Only the third time Ferrer's lost from 2-0 up in 112 matches. Sad thing is he didn't even really look all that likely to see it out at any point during the match even when he served for it. Just not what he was a few years back.

Just been out watching Gilles Simon on the new Court 18 - very partisan crowd!! Great fun!

Back in me pew for Rafa now - they wouldn't let us swap seats, sadly .....

Was hoping to catch Heather Watson's game but Schwartzman's nearly finished on Court 3 so she'll be on the Eurostar home by the time Rafa's done his thing.

Last edited:
Watson going well here. Against a similarly out of form opponent in Dodin, but has recovered from 0-2 to take the first set 6-3 and is actually playing quite well.

Great match that, proper clay court grind. Only the third time Ferrer's lost from 2-0 up in 112 matches. Sad thing is he didn't even really look all that likely to see it out at any point during the match even when he served for it. Just not what he was a few years back.
36 years old. Been finished as a contender for the 2nd week in slams for 2 years now.

Simone Bolelli about to become a hero to bookmakers all across the world if he can hang on and take the third set tomorrow :)
I hope not :lol::lol:...first two sets have already been closed than anything rafa faced last year.
Bolelli 2.38/1 to win the 3rd set for those interested

*closer

Last edited:
Ferrer has had a fantastic career, made the most of his ability thru hard work, is a story that when he was younger and thinking of packing tennis in his coach sent him to be a labourer for the day, after the day he stuck with tennis.

Not as many shocks in the women's today - high seeds Kvitova, Pliskova, Wozniacki and Kasatkina all through, the former two surviving scares. Sevastova going out was probably the biggest (to the women who put out both British players in the qualifiers). You could maybe add Azarenka in there as well, but it's hard to gauge where she's at at the moment.

A few men's matches didn't get finished as well as Mertens-Lepchenko and Sharapova's was the only one not to even start so they will all be played/finished tomorrow.

Back