SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Djokovic's route looking a touch easier even on top of the initial draw with Alcaraz seemingly crocked. Good news for Murray more importantly I guess.

Did my brackets yesterday and had Murray reaching the quarters before losing to Djokovic :lol: maybe a tad optimistic.
whats up with Alcarez? I've a few bob on him that I placed ages ago at 28/1

whats up with Alcarez? I've a few bob on him that I placed ages ago at 28/1

Dodgy elbow, wearing a sleeve and tape on it that he had to wear last year when it was injured. Doesn't look serious but couldn't play Queens or any warm up tournaments because of it in the last few weeks. Played a couple of exhibition matches at Hurlingham last week and apparently didn't look overly clever, results don't really matter there but they weren't exactly encouraging.

Appears money will be disappearing down the drain for the pair of us very quickly unfortunately!

Just clocked what actually happened in the Hurkacz and Davidovich Fokina match :eek::lol:

Davidovich Fokina up two sets to love, serving for the match at 5-4 in the third and goes up 40-0. Hurkacz then wins 11 of the next 14 games to save three match points, win the third set 7-5, fourth set 6-2 and go up a break in the fifth at the start. Gets broken whilst serving for the match late in the set. Hurkacz goes 7-4 up in the breaker and Davidovich Fokina wins 6 of the next 7 points to win 10-8. All over the place that match.

Thought Alcaraz ended up looking like a star earlier, showed enough even if he'd have lost to suggest grass probably isn't gonna be a weak surface for him through his career.

Just clocked what actually happened in the Hurkacz and Davidovich Fokina match :eek::lol:

Davidovich Fokina up two sets to love, serving for the match at 5-4 in the third and goes up 40-0. Hurkacz then wins 11 of the next 14 games to save three match points, win the third set 7-5, fourth set 6-2 and go up a break in the fifth at the start. Gets broken whilst serving for the match late in the set. Hurkacz goes 7-4 up in the breaker and Davidovich Fokina wins 6 of the next 7 points to win 10-8. All over the place that match.

Thought Alcaraz ended up looking like a star earlier, showed enough even if he'd have lost to suggest grass probably isn't gonna be a weak surface for him through his career.
Fokina also attempted a tweener on his 1st match point :lol: :lol:

Don't know if it's because Emma Raducanu exists and everything is currently focused on her over here, but Jack Draper has quietly gone pretty much under the radar from starting the year ranked at 285 to now being one win away against Pablo Carreno-Busta to making his top 50 debut. Would also move above Andy Murray with a win tonight.

Come through qualies in Montreal to beat Tsitsipas in straight sets for his first top ten win and was a set up against Monfils last night when Monfils did a Monfils and went over on his ankle and had to retire.

Wins over Brooksby, Schwartzman, Sonego, Monfils, Fritz and Tsitsipas so far this year. Not shocking news this but he's a very talented player. Alcaraz, Sinner, Rune and Musetti the only ones below the age of 21 above him in the rankings. Looking really good at the minute.

Last edited:

Back