SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Mugu :(. At least we do get to see Sharapova vs Kerber which has more of a QF or SF feel rather than a 3rd round game. Bit of a shame it's happening this early, but that's always the risk when neither are among the top 20 seeds. Halep and particularly Keys were impressive albeit against pretty limited opposition and there was no signs of the ankle problems for Halep which is good. Another impressive come from behind win for Barty against another big hitter. A lot of the top seeds may have crashed out, but still on course for some decent last 16 matches and QFs onwards, although you can't take anything for granted in this heat.

Saw a bit of the men's as well - Potro and Khachanov was decent and JMDP vs Berdych as well as Zverev vs Chung should be good in the next round. Feel a bit sorry for Zverev, 4th seed so should have been in line for a semi final spot, yet won't even be favourite to make the quarters (again) with Djok potentially in his way in the last 16. Cracking opportunity for challenger level players Marterer and Sandgren to make the last 16 as they face each other next.

A pretty weak schedule for the women tonight (especially the first matches) - I'll definitely be watching a set or two of Edmund at midnight.

Looking at tonight's matches, Kyrgios vs T'songa looks to be the possible highlight.

When is this scheduled for should be a cracker

Rod Laver
Kumkhum v Martic
Kostyuk v Svitolina
Dimitrov v Rublev
From 8am
Kyrgios v Tsonga
Bertens v Wozniacki

Margaret Court

Allertova v Linette
Carreno Busta v Muller
Bondarenko v Rybarikova
From 8am
Nadal v Dzumhur
Ostapenko v Kontaveit

Hisense
Doubles
Mertens v Cornet
Seppi v Karlovic
Harrison v Cilic

Court 2
Edmund v Basilashvili
Doubles
Doubles

Kanepi v Suarez Navarro

Court 3
Doubles
Doubles
Doubles

Schwartzman v Dolgopolov

Rod Laver
Kumkhum v Martic
Kostyuk v Svitolina
Dimitrov v Rublev
From 8am
Kyrgios v Tsonga
Bertens v Wozniacki

Margaret Court

Allertova v Linette
Carreno Busta v Muller
Bondarenko v Rybarikova
From 8am
Nadal v Dzumhur
Ostapenko v Kontaveit

Hisense
Doubles
Mertens v Cornet
Seppi v Karlovic
Harrison v Cilic

Court 2
Edmund v Basilashvili
Doubles
Doubles

Kanepi v Suarez Navarro

Court 3
Doubles
Doubles
Doubles

Schwartzman v Dolgopolov
Typical il be up until late but arranging doctors appointment in morning so will miss some of that

Looking at tonight's matches, Kyrgios vs T'songa looks to be the possible highlight.

A lot of meh matches in the women's - Kumkhum and Allertova on those 2 famous courts :lol:. I would have watched one of them at midnight, but really pleased that Kyle is on then just to add a match where I do have genuine interest. If it looks like it could be done by 2am or so then I will watch most but more than likely I will see a set or two and assess.

Dimitrov vs Rublev US rematch looks decent as does the one you mention as both are biggish name crowd pleasers and there will be lots of on court antics, hope Nick can come through. I do have interest in the Svitolina one as well because although it will be a cake walk and I'd be surprised if the 15 yo wins more than 4 games, but just her age makes it intriguing and you'd imagine she would have probably grown up idolising/admiring her. I'd be interested in Ostapenko whoever she played but Kontaveit does seem to be showing her early-mid 2017 form so could be a decent match and Jelena is always vulnerable, just seen it's pretty much 50/50 at the bookies.

A lot of meh matches in the women's - Kumkhum and Allertova on those 2 famous courts :lol:. I would have watched one of them at midnight, but really pleased that Kyle is on then just to add a match where I do have genuine interest. If it looks like it could be done by 2am or so then I will watch most but more than likely I will see a set or two and assess.

Dimitrov vs Rublev US rematch looks decent as does the one you mention as both are biggish name crowd pleasers and there will be lots of on court antics, hope Nick can come through. I do have interest in the Svitolina one as well because although it will be a cake walk and I'd be surprised if the 15 yo wins more than 4 games, but just her age makes it intriguing and you'd imagine she would have probably grown up idolising/admiring her. I'd be interested in Ostapenko whoever she played but Kontaveit does seem to be showing her early-mid 2017 form so could be a decent match and Jelena is always vulnerable, just seen it's pretty much 50/50 at the bookies.

I'm assuming that Kumkhum and Allertova are on the show courts because they've caught the public's imagination in Australia? Very odd matches to pick out otherwise.

I'd like Tsonga to beat Kyrgios. He plays the game with no real malice and generally with a smile.

I'm assuming that Kumkhum and Allertova are on the show courts because they've caught the public's imagination in Australia? Very odd matches to pick out otherwise.

I'd like Tsonga to beat Kyrgios. He plays the game with no real malice and generally with a smile.

Hmm, take it you're not a massive fan of Kyrgios? I do like him, but also think he is the only real threat to Nadal in that top half. Dimitrov could give him another good match like last year here but I think Kyrgios' best is better (than Dimitrov), and although Nadal will get his share, Nick would get more support than Dimitrov which could be a factor. He obviously won't be everyone's cup of tea with the thing he does and says on and off court, but when he is fit and on his game like at Miami vs Federer and Nadal a few months ago, he is a massive talent and I do genuinely like watching him.

Assuming Kyle doesn't go on a crazy run, I'd like to see Nadal vs Kyrgios and probably Zverev vs Federer semi finals.

Hmm, take it you're not a massive fan of Kyrgios? I do like him, but also think he is the only real threat to Nadal in that top half. Dimitrov could give him another good match like last year here but I think Kyrgios' best is better (than Dimitrov), and although Nadal will get his share, Nick would get more support than Dimitrov which could be a factor. He obviously won't be everyone's cup of tea with the thing he does and says on and off court, but when he is fit and on his game like at Miami vs Federer and Nadal a few months ago he is a massive talent and I do genuinely like watching him.

Assuming Kyle doesn't go on a crazy run, I'd like to see Nadal vs Kyrgios and probably Zverev vs Federer semi finals.

I don't mind Kyrgios but it's Tsonga he's playing tonight not Dimitrov.

I don't mind Kyrgios but it's Tsonga he's playing tonight not Dimitrov.

Yeah, I was just bunging Tsonga in the same bracket as the Anderson's, Berdych's, and co - generally get to the last 16 or last 8 depending on their seeding but as soon as they play a big 3 or 4 member, 9/10 they will lose. Obviously most will lose to them, hence their 40 odd combined GS wins but I just think Tsonga winning will eliminate a potential much bigger threat, someone who is more likely to give a Federer or Nadal a cracking match and upset win. I think a Tsonga win would just play into Nadal's hands, just my opinion mind.

Yeah, I was just bunging Tsonga in the same bracket as the Anderson's, Berdych's, and co - generally get to the last 16 or last 8 depending on their seeding but as soon as they play a big 3 or 4 member, 9/10 they will lose. Obviously most will lose to them, hence their 40 odd combined GS wins but I just think Tsonga winning will eliminate a potential much bigger threat, someone who is more likely to give a Federer or Nadal a cracking match and upset win. I think a Tsonga win would just play into Nadal's hands, just my opinion mind.

You're probably right there...

I have actually just looked at Tsonga's H2H with some of the players I mentioned and to be fair, it is a lot better :lol:, but I think the general point still stands and at 32 he won't really get any better and has only made 1 SF of the last 18 so his better days are clearly behind him.

I have actually just looked at Tsonga's H2H with some of the players I mentioned and to be fair, it is a lot better :lol:, but I think the general point still stands and at 32 he won't really get any better and has only made 1 SF of the last 18 so his better days are clearly behind him.

Age and injuries have nudged him down a level...

What's your thoughts on doubles tennis?

Age and injuries have nudged him down a level...

Definitely. Also if you do really like someone, their style, personality etc then no reason why you shouldn't want them to win. I'm often guilty of planning future paths and potential latter stage line ups and what it might do to the tournament etc. rather than just enjoying a career defining win, career best performance from an underdog etc. (not that this necessarily applies to JWT tonight mind).

I always do generally start to take more interest in the men stuff at around the last 16 stage and it is good how most of the big names are still around so some decent looking matches and of course the British interest as well.

What's your thoughts on doubles tennis?

Hmm, not much interest to be honest mate. I will generally watch the finals of the slams and possibly earlier rounds if one of my favourite singles players are teaming up rather than established traditional doubles pairings, but I don't really follow it much. I do kind of view them as different sports/games.

What's your thoughts?

Last edited:
Definitely. Also if you do really like someone, their style, personality etc then no reason why you shouldn't want them to win. I'm often guilty of planning future paths and potential latter stage line ups and what it might do to the tournament etc. rather than just enjoying a career defining win, career best performance from an underdog etc. (not that this necessarily applies to JWT tonight mind).

I always do generally start to take more interest in the men stuff at around the last 16 stage and it is good how most of the big names are still around so some decent looking matches and of course the British interest as well.

Hmm, not much interest to be honest mate. I will generally watch the finals of the slams and possibly earlier rounds if one of my favourite singles players are teaming up rather than established traditional doubles pairings, but I don't really follow it much. I do kind of view them as different sports/games.

What's your thoughts?
I can't stand it. I think it keeps poor singles players in a living. I really don't like Jamie Murray so that probably increases my dislike for doubles.

I didn't realise Tsonga is 32! Where has the time gone. I remember he was a relatively unknown and he knocked Murray out in the first round of the Australian Open before losing the final to Djokovic. It may have been Djokovic first Slam.

Tsonga's semi final against Nadal in 2008 is probably the best individual performance I've seen in a tennis match.

If him and Ferrer were born ten years earlier then they'd both have a few Grand Slams to their name. Ferrer in particular would have cleaned up at the French. No shame in being the 6th/7th best player in an era with Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Murray and Wawrinka.

Gerrin 7-0 on the tie break. Think that's me off to kip now, as good a time as any - 4 more sets like that and it's a 5am job.

Allertova-Linette look like going to a decider 6-3, 1-4. Kumkhum lost first set 3-6 but has an early break in the 2nd.

Gerrin 7-0 on the tie break. Think that's me off to kip now, as good a time as any - 4 more sets like that and it's a 5am job.

Allertova-Linette look like going to a decider 6-3, 1-4. Kumkhum lost first set 3-6 but has an early break in the 2nd.
Not far wrong with the 5am job!! He dug deep there.

Back