SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Nadal in those last two sets :eek: as a fed fan I'd be worried, even if he gets through tonight and the semis, nadal looked on fire

He did really well considering he had just dropped that 2nd set, was rattled, and annoyed with the umpire for the time violation on break point.

Stunning. :eek:

What are people thinking for Medvedev-Wawrinka? I'm thinking Stan in 4.

Was expecting Stan to win this pretty comfortably but he's been ill for the last 36 hours apparently. Hope he still gets it done.

Why is Wawrinka 1/20 on bet365? Medvedev injured?
Yep, Medvedev has his thigh taped up, can barely move.....
he's now changed his strategy to drop shotting and lobbing Stan making an ill wawrinka run back and forth whilst expending minimal effort :lol: it
is also very hot apparently
if Federer gets through dimi quick enough tonight he'll fancy his chances
Medvedead takes the 1st set on one leg :lol: 9 DF and 21UE

Last edited:
Yep, Medvedev has his thigh taped up, can barely move.....
he's now changed his strategy to drop shotting and lobbing Stan making an ill wawrinka run back and forth whilst expending minimal effort :lol: it
is also very hot apparently
if Federer gets through dimi quick enough tonight he'll fancy his chances
I’m watching bake off but following the score through bet365. Medvedev won the set but Stan is red hot favourite at 1/3.

Set to go two sets up, looks like Stan is sicker and going for more shorter points than Medvedev Who is injured and can't run
Bizarre match

Dreadful from Wawrinka. To lose the first set from *6-5 in the breaker was really bad and it's just got worse from there.
Should have taken that set but Medvedev was looking pretty good by the end.
hoping fed gets the job done later but that potential semi would be 60-40 in feds favour imo if it happens. Could be a classic, Medvedev is 6ft6in!
Only way rafa gets challenged before the final is it monfils wins in 3 and plays the game of his life at 33, which is doubtful.
schwartzman 90 minutes at the French aside, just doesn't have the game to beat or look like beating rafa :(

Last edited:
I've watched a lot of women's tennis over the years, but that's got to be one of the most embarrassing matches I have watched, epecially so late in a slam. Serena won 6-1 6-0 in 44 minutes. As much as Serena was good, Wang was absolutely abysmal.

Gutted for federer, his back went in the afternoon and started to affect him from the 3rd set onwards, still had the chance to break Dimitrov back at 5-4 0-40 in the 4th but wasn't meant to be. Federers body really struggles with the night sessions at the us open, 3rd straight year he's been injured at the event, back in 17, wrist in 18, back in 19
No fedal ever at the us open. :(
Positives being that he didn't lose to Nadal and no loss will ever be as bad as this year's Wimbledon final.
Wawrinka confirmed as having the flu.
Really hope Medvedev can recover as he's got the best chance to stop nadal

Problem with Federer is by the stage of the season his body doesn't hold up. He puts so much stock into the grass court season his 38 year old body breaks down come the US hardcourt season.

I think if he has a good offseason, trains hard, stays fit, he'll have his chances again at the AO where he's more suited to, he can win there.

Nadal and Djokovic may very well surpass Federer's record, but I think Federer can still win more slams, I really do. He's beaten Nadal 6 times in a row outside clay and was only a point from defeating Novak at Wimbledon. So he certainly at the very least can compete with these guys and win more titles.

The younger generation not stepping up prolongs his slam winning window as well.

Last edited:
I managed to see Fed go a break up in the third before I went to bed.

Wow. Genuinely the most surprising result I've seen in tennis since Vinci beat Serena about five years ago or whatever it was.

I simply think that away from grass he is no longer at the same level as Nadal and Djokovic , struggled in both hardcourt slams this year and in the US last year, I only watched the last set but he was making errors all over the place and to lose to someone as poor as Dimitrov is incredible.

Last edited:
I simply think that away from grass he is no longer at the same level as Nadal and Djokovic , struggled in both hardcourt slams this year and in the US last year, I only watched the last set but he was making errors all over the place and to lose to someone as poor as Dimitrov is incredible.
Injured mate, his back had completely gone by the last set

It is New York mind. We always seem so close to that Fedal match and then something comes up.
Curse strikes again. It seems the only way it'll happen is if one is ever unseeded and they meet in the 1st round when they 'reveal the draw', like Serena and Sharapova.

It's the last of the afternoon single's sessions from out perspective, because tomorrow the women's semi finals start from 12am, Friday sees the men's semi finals start from 9pm, and then the respective finals start at 9pm on Saturday and Sunday.

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm

B. Bencic (SUI) [13] vs D. Vekic (CRO) [23]
M. Berrettini (ITA) [24] vs. G. Monfils (FRA) [13]
12am
B. Andreescu (CAN) [15] vs. E. Mertens (BEL) [25]
D. Schwartzman (ARG) [20] vs. R. Nadal (ESP) [2]

Happy with that line up. I'll get to see both women's matches in full and I'm quite looking forward to Berrettini-Monfils - I'd like the Italian to win, even though I think Monfils would probably provide a better potential semi final with Rafa. I like Vekic, but I'm hoping for a Bencic-Andreescu semi final.

It's the last of the afternoon single's sessions from out perspective, because tomorrow the women's semi finals start from 12am, Friday sees the men's semi finals start from 9pm, and then the respective finals start at 9pm on Saturday and Sunday.

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm

B. Bencic (SUI) [13] vs D. Vekic (CRO) [23]
M. Berrettini (ITA) [24] vs. G. Monfils (FRA) [13]
12am
B. Andreescu (CAN) [15] vs. E. Mertens (BEL) [25]
D. Schwartzman (ARG) [20] vs. R. Nadal (ESP) [2]

Happy with that line up. I'll get to see both women's matches in full and I'm quite looking forward to Berrettini-Monfils - I'd like the Italian to win, even though I think Monfils would probably provide a better potential semi final with Rafa. I like Vekic, but I'm hoping for a Bencic-Andreescu semi final.

I agree with you about Monfils. Think him playing the match of his life against Nadal is the only way there'll be a different winner.

He'll probably either get walloped off Rafa in less than an hour and a half or beat him and then retire injured in the final after winning two games in the opening two sets because he's Gael Monfils.

Bencic through to the semi final in a bit of a flat match against Vekic.

Bencic vs Andreescu/Mertens
Serena vs Svitolina
I agree with you about Monfils. Think him playing the match of his life against Nadal is the only way there'll be a different winner.

He'll probably either get walloped off Rafa in less than an hour and a half or beat him and then retire injured in the final after winning two games in the opening two sets because he's Gael Monfils.

Yeah, he's a strange one Gael, you never really know what you're going to get and you could quite easily see both of those scenarios happening. At 33, when you look over his Grand Slam timeline, he really should have done a lot more and it's a bit frustrating. Berrettini has had a great year, but I'm still a bit scarred by that Federer Wimbledon match :lol: , and his stock does seem a lot lower because of that one match, but if he could get to the semi final then it will be good for him long term, even if he does roll over for Rafa in a potential semi. So I guess I don't really mind who wins here, probably prefer Matteo to, but if he does lose, then we'll probably get a better semi final.

Watch little Diego pull off the monster upset now, ha.

Last edited:

Back