SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

I respect your opinion, and a fair few will share it, but I personally disagree. Players may as well get second jobs from the end of January to the start of June, and from now until January if that was the case. Indian Wells aren't going to put up $9m each for both men and women's tournaments every year, and almost $1.5m for the respective winners if it's effectively a nothing event. Shenzhen have put up the biggest purse in tennis history to secure the WTA finals, the winner will get more for winning that than any slam - these events do matter.

A Canadian winning the Rogers Cup will be (and is) massive in that country, and I'm sure Andreescu will have inspired many a Canadian with her recent success, likewise I'm sure kids in Germany will have watched Zverev's O2 success last year and the fact that he became the 3rd best player in the world at one time and would think, hey, he's pretty good at what he does.

Obviously slams are the focal point of the season and where the vast majority of interest and spotlight lie, but IMO there's plenty of tennis outside of them to be able to build reputations.

Based on your posts you know far more about tennis than I ever will but I never meant money wise , I meant in the grand scheme of things , slams are what you are judged on. Everyone knows how many slams Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have won, nobody cares less what they have won after that, just like nobody really cares what these so called next superstars have won unless it is a slam.

Based on your posts you know far more about tennis than I ever will but I never meant money wise , I meant in the grand scheme of things , slams are what you are judged on. Everyone knows how many slams Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have won, nobody cares less what they have won after that, just like nobody really cares what these so called next superstars have won unless it is a slam.

Yeah, I can see your point. Tennis is my favourite sport, so after the US Open is over, I will be interested in Asia and the European Indoor swing to see who can qualify for the O2 and Shenzhen respectively, and to me, if nothing mattered outside of 4 events then it would be a shame, but I understand in general, and the general sporting world, the 4 events are so much more important. E.g. I know Zverev won 3 Masters in the past 2 years, but I couldn't really differentiate a Rome from a Madrid, so there is clearly a huge difference between those and the majors, but I suppose on the other hand, these guys bigging up Zverev and giving him this reputation you speak of are tennis people who's job is to follow the tour year round, and it's in their best interest to try and create a bit of hype outside the big 3.

The best way to justify that hype would certainly be to do better in the slams though, and it'll be yet another 5 setter if he is to reach another rare slam quarter final from here.

Just the 2 courts for the single's today. I think it is due to rain, so probably just as well.

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm

N. Osaka (JPN) [1] vs. B. Bencic (SUI) [13]
A. Zverev (GER) [6] vs. D. Schwartzman (ARG) [20]
12am
M. Cilic (CRO) [22] vs. R. Nadal (ESP) [2]
T. Townsend (USA) vs. B. Andreescu (CAN) [15]

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM
4pm

D. Vekic (CRO) [23] vs. J. Goerges (GER) [26]
Not before 5.30pm
A. Rublev (RUS) vs M. Berrettini (ITA) [24]
K. Ahn (USA) vs. E. Mertens (BEL) [25]
Not before 10pm
G. Monfils (FRA) [13] vs. P. Andujar (ESP)

Awful weather, they've barely played on the outside courts in the 6 hours of play, so just as well they've got the 2 roofs now.

Another non latter stage slam for Zverev and the respective quarter final line ups are starting to take shape:

Men
Wawrinka vs Medvedev
Federer vs Dimitrov
Berrettini vs Monfils/Andujar
Nadal/Cilic vs Schwartzman

Women
Bencic vs Vekic
Mertens (or Ahn, but very unlikely, currently 6-1 2-0) vs Andreescu/Townsend
Konta vs Svitolina
Serena vs Wang

I'm pleased to see Berrettini doing well and he was very good against Rublev. Still one match to go, and it will be tough if it's against Monfils, but I'd be happy if it was he who took advantage of Thiem, Tsitsipas and RBA all losing in the first round in this section to make the semi final.

Nadal is 1/14 and Cilic 7/1, Nadal 4/6 to win In straight sets, I may look completely wrong In a few hours but i fully expect this to be a lot closer than the odds suggest

Cilic has been absolutely shite all year, that'll be the reason for the huge price. I was half expecting him to lose to Klizan in the first round. Only had 15 wins this year before this tournament.

Probably the worst form of his career. But like you say, he is capable of troubling Nadal if he can turn up.

Cilic has been absolutely shite all year, that'll be the reason for the huge price. I was half expecting him to lose to Klizan in the first round. Only had 15 wins this year before this tournament.

Probably the worst form of his career. But like you say, he is capable of troubling Nadal if he can turn up.
Looks like he has turned up tonight.

I don't know, mind. Good shout. I'll not be able to watch it to the end now, would have given it one more set if Nadal made it 2-0, but could be well after 4am when this is done.

I'd have loved Cilic to have served a cheeky underarm serve on set point considering how far back Nadal is - that would have royally pissed him off, given how he's been throughout that set. :lol:

Think I'd like Nadal to still come through, and I suspect he will, but great to see him dropping a set to take away a bit of invincibility for the rest of that bottom half. Everyone has dropped at least one set now.

I don't know, mind. Good shout. I'll not be able to watch it to the end now, would have given it one more set if Nadal made it 2-0, but could be well after 4am when this is done.

I'd have loved Cilic to have served a cheeky underarm serve on set point considering how far back Nadal is - that would have royally pissed him off, given how he's been throughout that set. :lol:

Think I'd like Nadal to still come through, and I suspect he will, but great to see him dropping a set to take away a bit of invincibility for the rest of that bottom half. Everyone has dropped at least one set now.

First two sets were close, easy for Nadal after that. Looking at the draw it looks almost nailed on now for the first ever Fedal final at the US open.

First two sets were close, easy for Nadal after that. Looking at the draw it looks almost nailed on now for the first ever Fedal final at the US open.

Yeah, whizzed through the final 2 sets in the morning, early break, and Nadal was class after that.

You'd certainly think that would be the final, but it's still evens at some places and the longest I've seen is 5/4, but I don't have an account for that site, but on that basis, in a 2 option race, them NOT to make the final would be odds on, either 4/5 (opposite of evens) or 4/7 (opposite of 5/4), so not as nailed on from that point of view.

If you individually break down the potential remaining matches then it's hard to see past it - I can't really see anyone beating Nadal, even if vintage Gael shows up in a potential semi final, and the last time Berrettini played a big 3 member on a major court, he shit his pants, ha. Federer's record against Dimitrov and Stan is overwhelming. The only dark horse might have been Medvedev putting a spanner in the works, but he's still reasonably inexperienced in BO5, has played so much tennis these past few weeks, and while he has done enough to get past his opponents so far, it's not been the most convincing, and he may not be fully fit either.

I'd personally be happy with that elusive US Open Fed match, and it would be absolutely pivotal in the 'GOAT race'.
seen bits and pieces but my amazon account has been playing up, got rafa and andreescu on a 4 fold how about you

Andreescu was my main pre tournament outright bet at 14s, but I also had a daft quid on Wang Qiang at 125/1 when I was watching her in a WTA event the previous week, but her winning would be my least favourite outcome (tennis-wise), so I hope Serena beats her tonight. She's still 33/1 to win now, and my cash out is still less than my £1 stake, but Serena rolled her ankle the other day, so if she gives a walkover, or retires mid match, then that cash out should increase a fair bit.

I do generally really like the women's quarter final line up, one of my favourites in a slam for some time. A nice mix of youth, Serena still brings wider interest, and Konta still flying the flag. I hope we get an Andreescu-Bencic semi final.
seen bits and pieces but my amazon account has been playing up, got rafa and andreescu on a 4 fold how about you
What's the 2 other legs by the way?

Last edited:
Yeah, whizzed through the final 2 sets in the morning, early break, and Nadal was class after that.

You'd certainly think that would be the final, but it's still evens at some places and the longest I've seen is 5/4, but I don't have an account for that site, but on that basis, in a 2 option race, them NOT to make the final would be odds on, either 4/5 (opposite of evens) or 4/7 (opposite of 5/4), so not as nailed on from that point of view.

If you individually break down the potential remaining matches then it's hard to see past it - I can't really see anyone beating Nadal, even if vintage Gael shows up in a potential semi final, and the last time Berrettini played a big 3 member on a major court, he shit his pants, ha. Federer's record against Dimitrov and Stan is overwhelming. The only dark horse might have been Medvedev putting a spanner in the works, but he's still reasonably inexperienced in BO5, has played so much tennis these past few weeks, and while he has done enough to get past his opponents so far, it's not been the most convincing, and he may not be fully fit either.

I'd personally be happy with that elusive US Open Fed match, and it would be absolutely pivotal in the 'GOAT race'.

Andreescu was my main pre tournament outright bet at 14s, but I also had a daft quid on Wang Qiang at 125/1 when I was watching her in a WTA event the previous week, but her winning would be my least favourite outcome (tennis-wise), so I hope Serena beats her tonight. She's still 33/1 to win now, and my cash out is still less than my £1 stake, but Serena rolled her ankle the other day, so if she gives a walkover, or retires mid match, then that cash out should increase a fair bit.

I do generally really like the women's quarter final line up, one of my favourites in a slam for some time. A nice mix of youth, Serena still brings wider interest, and Konta still flying the flag. I hope we get an Andreescu-Bencic semi final.

Wilson in snooker this week whose second favourite and Sussex in t20 cricket id win 1200

I took 13/2 last week for the Federer Nadal final, once it became clear Djokovic was injured them odds were way overpriced.

I took 13/2 last week for the Federer Nadal final, once it became clear Djokovic was injured them odds were way overpriced.

Yeah, I remember you saying that, nice bet. I didn't take advantage. I've did OK in individual accas last week, and still have a realistic contender in the outright betting on the women's side, so I can't complain with the betting during this tournament.
Wilson in snooker this week whose second favourite and Sussex in t20 cricket id win 1200

I know nothing about your non tennis legs mate, but while I would like Federer to win it, I wouldn't begrudge your bet coming in. Andreescu would be a great winner for the WTA tour.

Last edited:
Plenty of doubles and junior matches on LA, Grandstand and the outside courts, but pretty simple regarding the singles from now on, as it's all on Ashe:

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm
E. Svitolina (UKR) [5] vs. J. Konta (GBR) [16]

S. Wawrinka (SUI) [23] vs D. Medvedev (RUS) [5]
12am
S. Williams (USA) [8] vs. Q. Wang (CHN) [18]
R. Federer (SUI) [3] vs. G. Dimitrov (BUL)

It'll be a similar order of play tomorrow for the remaining 4 quarter finals, and the women's night match should be first again (midnight) as both women's semi finals are on Thursday, and play unfortunately starts at midnight UK time.

Not to be for Jo, but 2 QFs and a SF in the slams is a great return for someone who went 5 slams in a row without going past R2 as early as this year. Still a lot of tennis to play and she's about 11 or 12 in the Race to Shenzhen, so plenty to play for in the coming months, and although it will be tough, it would be great if she could sneak into the top 8 by the end of the season.

I'd rather Konta had won, but it's quite nice to see Svitolina doing things at slams now as she was basically the WTA Zverev, but has now made back to back SFs.

Back