SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

It was a big Fegal match to be fair. ;)

Just the one Brit in action today, Edmund hoping to join Evans (and Konta) in R2

(Day 2)

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm

N. Osaka (JPN) [1] vs. A. Blinkova (RUS)
T. Fabbiano (ITA) vs. D. Thiem (AUT) [4]
12am
J. Millman (AUS) vs. R. Nadal (ESP) [2]
S. Stephens (USA) [11] vs. A. Kalinskaya (RUS)

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM
4pm

S. Tsitsipas (GRE) [8] vs. A. Rublev (RUS)
S. Halep (ROU) [4] vs. N. Gibbs (USA)
A. Potapova (RUS) vs. C. Gauff (USA)
12am
A. Sabalenka (BLR) [9] vs. V. Azarenka (BLR)
S. Johnson (USA) vs. N. Kyrgios (AUS) [28]

GRANDSTAND
4pm

A. Riske (USA) vs. G. Muguruza (ESP) [24]
J. Isner (USA) [14] vs. G. Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
C. Wozniacki (DEN) [19] vs. Y. Wang (CHN)
D. Shapovalov (CAN) vs. F. Auger-Aliassime (CAN) [18]

COURT 17
D. Allertova (CZE) vs. P. Kvitova (CZE) [6]
P. Badosa (ESP) vs. K. Bertens (NED) [7]
A. Zverev (GER) [6] vs. R. Albot (MDA)
I. Karlovic (CRO) vs. F. Tiafoe (USA)

COURT 5
M. Minella (LUX) vs. B. Bencic (SUI) [13]
M. Klizan (SVK) vs. M. Cilic (CRO) [22]
J. Tsonga (FRA) vs. T. Sandgren (USA)
K. Ahn (USA) vs. S. Kuznetsova (RUS)

COURT 10
J. Goerges (GER) [26] vs. N. Vikhlyantseva (RUS)
K. Volynets (USA) vs. B. Andreescu (CAN) [15]
H. Chung (KOR) vs. E. Escobedo (USA)
G. Monfils (FRA) [13] vs. A. Ramos-Vinolas (ESP)

COURT 13
A. Petkovic (GER) vs. M. Buzarnescu (ROU)
K. Edmund (GBR) [30] vs. P. Andujar (ESP)
L. Harris (RSA) vs. E. Gerasimov (BLR)
Y. Putintseva (KAZ) vs. M. Brengle (USA)

COURT 4
M. Kukushkin (KAZ) vs. R. Bautista Agut (ESP) [10]
F. Krajinovic (SRB) vs. C. Stebe (GER)
T. Babos (HUN) vs. C. Suárez Navarro (ESP) [28]
Kr. Pliskova (CZE) vs. D. Parry (FRA)

COURT 6
A. Krunic (SRB) vs. J. Ostapenko (LAT)
J. Sousa (POR) vs. J. Thompson (AUS)
A. Kontaveit (EST) [21] vs. S. Sorribes Tormo (ESP)
T. Kokkinakis (AUS) vs. I. Ivashka (BLR)

COURT 7
A. Cornet (FRA) vs. J. Pegula (USA)
F. Verdasco (ESP) [32] vs. T. Kamke (GER)
T. Townsend (USA) vs. K. Kozlova (UKR)
B. Schnur (CAN) vs. B. Paire (FRA) [29]

COURT 8
A. Popyrin (AUS) vs. F. Delbonis (ARG)
Xiyu. Wang (CHN) vs. K. Flipkens (BEL)
U. Humbert (FRA) vs. M. Copil (ROU)

COURT 9
L. Sonego (ITA) vs. M. Granollers (ESP)
K. Kanepi (EST vs. T. Maria (GER)
E. Mertens (BEL) [25] vs. J. Teichmann (SUI)
A. Hoang (FRA) vs. L. Mayer (ARG)

COURT 11
M. Berrettini (ITA) [24] vs. R. Gasquet (FRA)
D. Collins (USA) vs P. Hercog (SLO)
D. Schwartzman (ARG) [20] vs. R. Haase (NED)
S. Cirstea (ROU) vs. K. Siniakova (CZE)

COURT 12
B. Fratangelo (USA) vs. G. Simon (FRA)
V. Pospisil (CAN) vs. K. Khachanov (RUS) [9]
R. Hogenkamp (NED) vs. D. Vekic (CRO) [23]
A. Bolsova (ESP) vs. B. Strycova (CZE) [31]

COURT 14
A. Bublik (KAZ) vs. S. Giraldo (COL)
P. Parmentier (FRA) vs. A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
A. Tomljanovic (AUS) vs. M. Bouzkova (CZE)
H. Laaksonen (SUI) vs. M. Cecchinato (ITA)

COURT 15
F. Di Lorenzo (USA) vs. V. Kudermetova (RUS)
A. Sharma (AUS) vs. M. Linette (POL)
J. Struff (GER) vs. C. Ruud (NOR)
J. Kovalik (SVK) vs. A. Bedene (SLO)

Rublev all over Tsitsipas early on, was a set and a break but back on serve now.

Apparently Rublev absolutely battered Zverev in a practice match the other day. Not sure that's too much of a surprise at the minute but good to see Rublev playing well again the last few weeks.

A tough draw for him, unlike WImbledon, and one of the worst he could have had, but another slam R1 exit for Stefanos. I was dipping in and out and caught the end when he got a point penalty for a time violation, and apparently was feeling under the weather throughout, but a bit disappointing following his AO success at the start of the year.

A tough draw for him, unlike WImbledon, and one of the worst he could have had, but another slam R1 exit for Stefanos. I was dipping in and out and caught the end when he got a point penalty for a time violation, and apparently was feeling under the weather throughout, but a bit disappointing following his AO success at the start of the year.
It is. But he had a shocking draw. Be interested to see how he performs in the next month and if he qualifies for atp finals.
Rublev looking good after his injuries.
Zverev currently doing a zverev.
Thiem struggling against a tough 1st round draw.
Gasquet beaten by berretini (who is far better than what he showed against federer at Wimbledon but fed did play excellent then tbf).
Medvedev in the last 3 weeks suddenly looks like hes leapfrogged zverev,thiem and tsitipas as the most likely player to break through.
Zverev has gone from a player who was top 4 over 3 sets to a bloke that is lucky to still be top 20 in the space of a year working with lendl :eek:
Thiem out
Khachanov struggling
Nadal currently checking out what things to do in New York on the Saturday before his match in the final as I type

Last edited:
What Edmund was doing right for most of last year, he's doing it all wrong now. Ranking's set to plummet in the next few months. He'll do very well to finish ranked inside the top 50 this year.

He was cramping midway through the second set, not as much as he was by the end but he looked shattered for most of the match. Never been keen on elite players like him playing that many tournaments a year, doesn't need to and it eventually always seems to catch up to you. Medvedev's earned over 800 points that aren't on his tally because of something similar. It'll catch up to him this tournament as well I reckon, be surprised if he makes it past R4.

CocoMania looks like it'll be running wild again, she's just taken 8 of the last 9 games to lead 4-1 in the final set against Potapova. No real upsets on the women's side today (unlike the men). I guess the closest thing would be another early Muguruza exit, but it was pretty much 50/50 going into her match with Riske.

Shapo looks to be running away with his all Canadian match with FAA. With Thiem, Tsitsipas and even RBA, a big opportunity for someone to reach the semi final in that little section and no top 10 seeds left. I hope it's someone like the Canadian winner, Berrettini, or dare I say it, Nick, who takes advantage.
Or not, 4-4 now. Been a cracking match, really enjoyable.

Last edited:
Stroke of luck for Dimitrov as #12 seed Coric has given him a walkover to the third round where he'll face either Cuevas or a LL who got in because seeded Raonic pulled out. Could get to the 4th round without facing a seed.

Delayed start due to rain, but there is play on Armstrong at the moment under the roof, and Ashe will begin at 5pm.

Stroke of luck for Dimitrov as #12 seed Coric has given him a walkover to the third round where he'll face either Cuevas or a LL who got in because seeded Raonic pulled out. Could get to the 4th round without facing a seed.

Delayed start due to rain, but there is play on Armstrong at the moment under the roof, and Ashe will begin at 5pm.
back injury, reminds me of Nadal in the french a few years back, straight sets previous round win then withdrawing
Another slow start from federer, against a better player hed have lost in straight sets.
Must improve, hope he does but would like it to be against Evans in the 3rd round

Last edited:
Just the 9 matches on Ashe and Armstrong were completed yesterday, as will as Dimitrov's walkover, so 54 matches scheduled for today, so basically another round 1 line up. No real shocks yesterday with all the big favourites advancing, although Opelka losing to a qualifier is a bit of a minor upset. The men who were scheduled to play yesterday, including Evans, are a bit unfortunate as they will have to play BO5 matches in successive days. Thought they might have brought play forward an hour, but still a 4pm UK start.

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm

A. Zverev (GER) [6] vs. F. Tiafoe (USA)
S. Halep (ROU) [4] vs. T. Townsend (USA)
12am
C. Wozniacki (DEN) [19] vs. D. Collins (USA)
T. Kokkinakis (AUS) vs. R. Nadal (ESP) [2]

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM
4pm

A. Petkovic (GER) vs. P. Kvitova (CZE) [6]
N. Osaka (JPN) [1] vs. M. Linette (POL)
J. Isner (USA) [14] vs. J. Struff (GER)
12am
C. Gauff (USA) vs. T. Babos (HUN)
C. Stebe (GER) vs. M. Cilic (CRO) [22]

GRANDSTAND
4am

S. Kenin (USA) [20] vs. L. Siegemund (GER)
H. Dellien (BOL) vs. D. Medvedev (RUS) [5]
J. Ostapenko (LAT) vs. A. Riske (USA)
A. Hoang (FRA) vs. N. Kyrgios (AUS) [28]

COURT 17
A. Van Uytvanck (BEL) vs. Q. Wang (CHN) [18]
S. Wawrinka (SUI) [23] vs. J. Chardy (FRA)
A. Cornet (FRA) vs. B. Bencic (SUI) [13]
G. Monfils (FRA) [13] vs. M. Copil (ROU)

COURT 5
A. de Minaur (AUS) vs. C. Garin (CHI) [31]
J. Konta (GBR) [16] vs. M. Gasparyan (RUS)
K. Flipkens (BEL) vs. B. Andreescu (CAN) [15]
H. Laaksonen (SUI) vs. D. Shapovalov (CAN)

COURT 10
K. Mladenovic (FRA) vs. F. Ferro (FRA)
J. Brooksby (USA) vs. N. Basilashvili (GEO) [17]
K. Kanepi (EST) vs. D. Vekic (CRO) [23]
F. Verdasco (ESP) [32] vs. H. Chung (KOR)

COURT 13
M. Sakkari (GRE) [30] vs. S. Peng (CHN)
E. Alexandrova (RUS) vs. S. Zhang (CHN) [33]
A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) vs. K. Bertens (NED) [7]
T. Sandgren (USA) vs. V. Pospisil (CAN)

COURT 4
K. Muchova (CZE) vs. S. Hsieh (TPE) [29]
F. Lopez (ESP) vs. Y. Nishioka (JPN)
J. Goerges (GER) [26] vs. F. Di Lorenzo (USA)

COURT 6
G. Barrere (FRA) vs. D. Goffin (BEL) [15]
A. Bedene (SLO) vs. B. Paire (FRA) [29]
A. Kalinskaya (RUS) vs. K. Ahn (USA)

COURT 7
D. Kudla (USA) vs. D. Lajovic (SRB) [27]
E. Mertens (BEL) [25] vs. Kr. Pliskova (CZE)
A. Sabalenka (BLR) [9] vs. Y. Putintseva (KAZ)
D. Schwartzman (ARG) [20] vs. E. Gerasimov (BLR)

COURT 8
P. Martic (CRO) [22] vs. A. Bogdan (ROU)
P. Carreno Busta (ESP) vs. R. Berankis (LTU)
A. Bublik (KAZ) vs. T. Fabbiano (ITA)

COURT 9
I. Swiatek (POL) vs. A. Sevastova (LAT) [12]
M. Berrettini (ITA) [24] vs. J. Thompson (AUS)
P. Andujar (ESP) vs. L. Sonego (ITA)

COURT 11
P. Cuevas (URU) vs. K. Majchrzak (POL)
S. Cirstea (ROU) vs. A. Bolsova (ESP)
A. Rublev (RUS) vs. G. Simon (FRA)

COURT 12
D. Evans (GBR) vs. L. Pouille (FRA) [25]

A. Popyrin (AUS) vs. M. Kukushkin (KAZ)

COURT 14
R. Peterson (SWE) vs. D. Yastremska (UKR) [32]
M. Kecmanovic (SRB) vs. P. Lorenzi (ITA)

COURT 15
O. Jabeur (TUN) vs. A. Sasnovich (BLR)
A. Kontaveit (EST) [21] vs. A. Tomljanovic (AUS)

Evo through in 4. Thought he'd blown it after being up a break in the third set - thought it was going to be shades of Sousa at Wimbledon, but sets up his match with Federer.

And Konta closing in on a win in under an hour. Match point coming up.

Benoit pairs 2-0 up in sets, 5-3 and 40-0 on his own serve in the 3rd set....
Lost in 5 sets, didn't shake bedenes hand or the umpires and stormed off court....talk about choking!

That's true British grit on the opponents side @scotch lad ;)

Did anyone see Novak last night / this morning? I saw the score and just assumed it was routine, but then he had a MTO for his shoulder, and some of his fans are concerned. Medvedev cramping over the line in his match, so if they do meet in the QF, could be survival of the fittest. 2 LLs in the last 32.

It's all happening on the women's side as well. Top 10 seeds Halep, Kvitova and Sabalenka all out, but another much needed win for Ostapenko, and she could be able to go even further.

I've barely moved from the sofa these past 7 hours :lol:

That's true British grit on the opponents side @scotch lad ;)

Did anyone see Novak last night / this morning? I saw the score and just assumed it was routine, but then he had a MTO for his shoulder, and some of his fans are concerned. Medvedev cramping over the line in his match, so if they do meet in the QF, could be survival of the fittest. 2 LLs in the last 32.

It's all happening on the women's side as well. Top 10 seeds Halep, Kvitova and Sabalenka all out, but another much needed win for Ostapenko, and she could be able to go even further.

I've barely moved from the sofa these past 7 hours :lol:

If that Djokovic Injury is as bad as he is making out then he has no chance of winning the tournament , he said he almost quit last night. Good for those hoping for a Federer Nadal final though.

If that Djokovic Injury is as bad as he is making out then he has no chance of winning the tournament , he said he almost quit last night. Good for those hoping for a Federer Nadal final though.
Dont trust Djokovic he's tried this trick a few times in the past and gone on to win the s!am

Djokovic has a breeze today, there's no chance he loses that really so gives him an extra couple days to get it right. Stan v Djokovic on Sunday could be interesting. My 66/1 outright on Stan has a little bit of hope anyway!

Outside of two or three, nearly every men's matchup in the third round genuinely looks exciting. Makes a nice change. Demon v Nishikori today could easily be one of the matches of the tournament.

The Coco Gauff story goes on. I stayed up until about 2.50am last night to see her edge out Babos in a tense 3 set match to set up a very eagerly anticipated 3rd round match with #1 Naomi Osaka - can't wait for that one. With those 2, Andreescu and one of two other U21s who are actually becoming a focal part of these big events, the women's game hasn't been as exciting IMO for around 10 years. Most of them seem to be big characters as well, which is great for generating attention and creating profiles.

I think the majority of exciting 3rd round matches are actually tomorrow, on both sides. The likes of Monfils-Shapo, Krygios-Rublev, maybe even Berrettini-Popyrin. Obviously not helped by Anderson and Raonic pulling out late and being replaced by LLs (who have both made R3), rather than a reshuffling of the seeds, but Isner-Cilic is actually the only men's 3rd round match between seeded players. There's 8/16 in the women's.

This was written before Marco's post.

Last edited:

Back