SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Yeah 4 of them, just Edmund on the Tuesday. It's a shame that they are both on first because at least if they were second or third on then the previous match(es) could have been long or short so they were spread out a bit further, but here they will both start at 4.10pm, so directly clashing. Think I'll mainly be watching Konta, but will no doubt be keeping tabs on a number of other matches - 128 matches to choose from. :)

I'm still debating if I can justify staying up for the big one. Probably will.

Day 1 order of play (Monday)

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM
5pm

Z. Diyas (KAZ) vs. A. Barty (AUS) [2]
N. Djokovic (SRB) [1] vs. R. Carballes Baena (ESP)
12am
S. Williams (USA) [8] vs. M. Sharapova (RUS)
R. Federer (SUI) [3] vs. S. Nagal (IND)

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM
4pm

T. Martincova (CZE) vs. Ka. Pliskova (CZE) [3]
P. Gunneswaran (IND) vs. D. Medvedev (RUS) [5]
S. Zheng (CHN) vs. V. Williams (USA)
12am
S. Wawrinka (SUI) [23] vs. J. Sinner (ITA)
M. Doi (JPN) vs. M. Keys (USA) [10]

GRANDSTAND
4pm

M. Trungelliti (ARG) vs. K. Nishikori (JPN) [7]
A. Kerber (GER) [14] vs. K. Mladenovic (FRA)
S. Querrey (USA) vs. J.I. Londero (ARG)
S. Kenin (USA) [20] vs. C. Vandeweghe (USA)

COURT 17 (all these outside courts start from 4pm)
J. Konta (GBR) [16] vs. D. Kasatkina (RUS)

F. Fognini (ITA) [11] vs. R. Opelka (USA)
E. Svitolina (UKR) [5] vs. W. Osuigwe (USA)
T. Fritz (USA) [26] vs. F. Lopez (ESP)

COURT 5
E. Bouchard (CAN) vs. A. Sevastova (LAT) [12]
E. Alexandrova (RUS) vs. S. Stosur (AUS)
Z. Svajda (USA) vs. P. Lorenzi (ITA)
N. Jarry (CHI) vs. M. Raonic (CAN) [21]

COURT 10
C. Garcia (FRA) [27] vs. O. Jabeur (TUN)
A. Mannarino (FRA) vs. D. Evans (GBR)
G. Barrere (FRA) vs. C. Norrie (GBR)

C. Dolehide (USA) vs. Q. Wang (CHN) [18]

COURT 13
T. Berdych (CZE) vs. J. Brooksby (USA)
S. Kwon (KOR) vs. H. Dellien (BOL)
V. Golubic (SUI) vs. S. Zhang (CHN) [33]
L. Zhu (CHN) vs. X. Wang (CHN)

COURT 4
P. Martic (CRO) [22] vs. T. Zidansek (SLO)
M. Niculescu (ROU) vs. D. Yastremska (UKR) [32]
C. Moutet (FRA) vs. D. Goffin (BEL) [15]
Y. Nishioka (JPN) vs. M. Giron (USA)

COURT 6
M. Fucsovics (HUN) vs. N. Basilashvili (GEO) [17]
I. Jorovic (SRB) vs. I. Swiatek (POL)
S. Peng (CHN) vs. V. Lepchenko (USA)
G. Pella (ARG) [19] vs. P. Carreno Busta (ESP)

COURT 7
C. Garin (CHI) [31] vs. C. Eubanks (USA)
E. Rybakina (KAZ) vs. K. Muchova (CZE)
B. Coric (CRO) [12] vs. E. Donskoy (RUS)
C. McNally (USA) vs. T. Bacsinszky (SUI)

COURT 8
M. Puig (PUR) vs. R. Peterson (SWE)
P. Herbert (FRA) vs. A. de Minaur (AUS)
D. Koepfer (GER) vs. J. Munar (ESP)

COURT 9
M. Bolkvadze (GEO) vs. B. Pera (USA)
J. Cepelova (SVK) vs. S. Hsieh (TPE) [29]
P. Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. L. Pouille (FRA) [25]
R. Berankis (LTU) vs. J. Vesely (CZE)

COURT 11
T. Monteiro (BRA) vs. B. Klahn (USA)
L. Davis (USA) vs. J. Larsson (SWE)
A. Seppi (ITA) vs. G. Dimitrov (BUL)
M. Frech (POL) vs. L. Siegemund (GER)

COURT 12
D. Kudla (USA) vs. J. Tipsarevic (SRB)
A. Sasnovich (BLR) vs. J. Brady (USA)
M. Sakkari (GRE) [30] vs. C. Giorgi (ITA)
J. Sock (USA) vs. P. Cuevas (URU)

COURT 14
A. Bogdan (ROU) vs. H. Dart (GBR)

M. Gasparyan (RUS) vs. P. Hon (AUS)
L. Djere (SRB) vs. M. Kecmanovic (SRB)
H. Hurkacz (POL) vs. J. Chardy (FRA)

COURT 15
S. Darcis (BEL) vs. D. Lajovic (SRB) [27]
F. Ferro (FRA) vs. D. Gavrilova (AUS)
V. Kuzmova (SVK) vs. A. Van Uytvanck (BEL)
E. Benchetrit (FRA) vs. D. Dzumhur (BIH)
I'm still debating if I can justify staying up for the big one. Probably will.

I'll stay up for it. Helps that it is the first match, but they have that opening ceremony to kick off their first night session on Ashe. It was Kelly Clarkson last year, but it's Ben Platt (who?) this year, so hopefully that's over with quickly. It'll not be, but I'm hoping for Maria in 2.

Last edited:
Azar
Yeah 4 of them, just Edmund on the Tuesday. It's a shame that they are both on first because at least if they were second or third on then the previous match(es) could have been long or short so they were spread out a bit further, but here they will both start at 4.10pm, so directly clashing. Think I'll mainly be watching Konta, but will no doubt be keeping tabs on a number of other matches - 128 matches to choose from. :)
Can't wait for azarenka game and obviously Sharapova although i only have prime in one room

Azar
Can't wait for azarenka game and obviously Sharapova although i only have prime in one room

You'll be able to get it on your phone / laptop / tablet though?

I wasn't convinced with Prime initially, but now I think it's great. They always seem to listen to customers suggestions / criticisms and it's a really good service. Quite pleased the WTA right are going there next year.

You'll be able to get it on your phone / laptop / tablet though?

I wasn't convinced with Prime initially, but now I think it's great. They always seem to listen to customers suggestions / criticisms and it's a really good service. Quite pleased the WTA right are going there next year.
Laptops canny old and i get all sorts of problems with fone but il still get to see lots just looking into who to put some bets on

Laptops canny old and i get all sorts of problems with fone but il still get to see lots just looking into who to put some bets on

I'm really looking forward to it, no distractions or commitments today, so I'll literally be sat in front of the big TV from 4pm until the minute the final ball in Serena-Maria is struck.

I'm looking at individual bets now. I'm going to go for Andreescu outright at 14/1, and I hope she wins (even if I didn't back her), she's been a breath of fresh air from the start of the year and I love her attitude and confidence, and she's rarely in a dull match - watch her lose to the wildcarded 9/1 17 year old tomorrow now. :lol:

Wawrinka v Sinner on at the same time as Serena's a bit annoying like. Two matches I'm looking forward to most.

Yeah, perhaps a year too soon for Sinner especially after saving MPs at 2-5 in his final qualifyer, but on the other hand, there's not too many better places to really announce yourself on the big stage than a night session on one of the 2 main show courts at the US Open, against a multiple Grand Slam champion. We should be able to see around 30 mins of the first set uninterrupted while they focus on the pre match entertainment on Ashe.

Great start from Konta, Dart kind of living dangerously having to fend off a few BPs, but still on serve. I've got Jo on the TV and Harriet on the laptop. Looks like we can watch every match which is great, and the bigger courts (4 or 5 of them) have commentary. Can't complain about that - it was the 3 main courts and one other last year. Much better now.

Andy Murray is just about to start his challenger match in Mallorca. He's playing Imran Sibbile who has won £150 in prize money in his career.

Dart out (comfortably), but Konta came through her decider, fairly convincingly in the end, so at least there is British interest on the women's side in round 2. Should be an easier match as well whoever comes through out of Gasparyan and Hon.

Federer played poorly, will go no further than 4th round at best unless he improves massively.
Think this is easily his worst grand slam surface now due to his age/physical condition in these weather conditions temp/humidity

Serena and Maria ended up being a bit of a damp squib as many expected, 1 and 1 in around an hour - the pre match entertainment lasted just as long :lol:. Maria did have a couple of moments and had a few break points in a couple of games in the second set, but Serena was simply inspired. If she can keep that level up she will be very hard to beat, but then she does seem to crumble a bit and suffer from nerves when she reaches a big final. Probably only Keys and Barty who can realistically stop her from reaching the final in that bottom half.

Federer played poorly, will go no further than 4th round at best unless he improves massively.
Think this is easily his worst grand slam surface now due to his age/physical condition in these weather conditions temp/humidity

He was looking rusty, but then he did drop the first set at Wimbledon as well.

Back