SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Made the same point to my wife earlier.

All of those are in their early, mid even late 30's now.

Not a single other player in the Mens game has come close to them in 10 years.

There aren't even experienced players in there late 20's now who are close and it's a veteran class still sweeping up.
Still feel sorry for Murray, he could have had 5/6 more slams

Made the same point to my wife earlier.

All of those are in their early, mid even late 30's now.

Not a single other player in the Mens game has come close to them in 10 years.

There aren't even experienced players in there late 20's now who are close and it's a veteran class still sweeping up.

Yeah, those around 27 like Dimitrov, Raonic etc. have been branded the 'Lost Generation' by some, and by the time the big 3 eventually retire, any realistic chance of those becoming the top men will be diminishing all the time, and some of those will probably retire before the likes of Djokovic anyway.

20 year old Tsitsipas beat Federer at the Australian Open earlier in the year and then went on to the semi final and it was kind of looking like a changing of the guard, he's comfortably in the top 10 now, but he hasn't really kicked on since then, and he lost to a pretty average Fabbiano, who's a circa top 100 player, in the first round here, and Zverev lost to a qualifier outside the top 100, so it's not exactly if they're losing to top 10-15 players. It's obviously far too early to write those off, but these slams only come around 4 times a year, and that's when most people are interested - you could win 10-15 matches on the spin on the ATP tour, but if you lose early here that's what most remember.

It is only 6 weeks until the 4th and final slam, but I doubt things will be much different there.

Easy money to be made in tennis at the minute due to bookies believing the hype about the so called next generation, had pre tournament bets of 7/1 for big three to get to semis, 4/1 for Djokovic to beat Federer in final and then about a week in got even money for Djokovic to win it, long may everyone keep hyping the next generation.

Easy money to be made in tennis at the minute due to bookies believing the hype about the so called next generation, had pre tournament bets of 7/1 for big three to get to semis, 4/1 for Djokovic to beat Federer in final and then about a week in got even money for Djokovic to win it, long may everyone keep hyping the next generation.

Are you still going for Djokovic in the final?

Just a bit worried that @scotch hasn't posted, hope you didn't have a heart attack when he missed that overhead at 30-30 ;)

Early odds are Djokovic 4/9, Federer 7/4.

Unfortunately I think that's about spot on price wise. Fed's gonna need to play the best match he's played in almost a decade to win on Sunday.

There's a lot to be said for variety and as much as I'm generally enjoying the women's tennis a lot more currently, there is absolutely nothing outside of Serena they can offer me that will ever come close to a Fed - Djokovic / Fed - Nadal / Nadal - Djokovic match up.

Fed's gonna need to play the best match he's played in almost a decade to win on Sunday
I know its personal opinion but I disagree on that, if he can play to the level he did against Nadal then he has a very good chance.
Djokovic hasn't been under any real pressure so far and that could count against him.
When Agut upped his game Djokovic wobbled a little.

I'm probably just clutching at straws as I really want Federer to win :)

Just a bit worried that @scotch hasn't posted, hope you didn't have a heart attack when he missed that overhead at 30-30 ;)

Unfortunately I think that's about spot on price wise. Fed's gonna need to play the best match he's played in almost a decade to win on Sunday.

There's a lot to be said for variety and as much as I'm generally enjoying the women's tennis a lot more currently, there is absolutely nothing outside of Serena they can offer me that will ever come close to a Fed - Djokovic / Fed - Nadal / Nadal - Djokovic match up.
Still buzzing, will probably come down Sunday morning when realisation hits in that he's playing djokovic.
Not beaten him in a few years, lost the 2014 & 2015 Wimbledon finals to him (tbh couldn't have played any better in that 2014 one), 2015 us open final, last few atp finals to him.
IF Federer gets the win Sunday it'll be one of his greatest slam wins ever but he needs to play like he did in 3 of the sets today if not better as Djokovic has a horrible habit of playing his best tennis in finals :(

Yeah, even as a big fan of the women's game, seeing the uncompetitive semi finals on Thursday all over by 4pm, and then witnessing that match last night, they are a world apart and will encourage more of those threads that emerged last night.

As much as I am looking forward to Serena-Halep later, it will be the first time in a fair few slams where I am more looking forward to the men's final - I just wish there were a few other genuine contenders to push them, as the gap between the big 3 and the rest does amazingly seem to be getting even wider as they get older, not helped of course by some notable injured players.

Yeah, even as a big fan of the women's game, seeing the uncompetitive semi finals on Thursday all over by 4pm, and then witnessing that match last night, they are a world apart and will encourage more of those threads that emerged last night.

As much as I am looking forward to Serena-Halep later, it will be the first time in a fair few slams where I am more looking forward to the men's final - I just wish there were a few other genuine contenders to push them, as the gap between the big 3 and the rest does amazingly seem to be getting even wider as they get older, not helped of course by some notable injured players.

What's your prediction for the Serena match marra? Are you going to watch the junior final?

What's your prediction for the Serena match marra? Are you going to watch the junior final?

I think Serena will win in 2 close sets.

Yep, looking forward to the junior final (assuming it gets shown on one of the BBC channels, if not, it'll be a stream). Snigur vs Noel, so a repeat of the Roehampton final last week, which Snigur won comfortably. Big opportunity for both, big crowd, big stage and we saw this year that reigning jr champ Swiatek was initially given a main draw WC for the seniors (until it wasn't needed), so if they can get their ranking into the qual positions by next year, top 220 or so, they will probably get a WC for next year - Snigur is currently just outside the top 400

Ah, it's on Red Button 4, so I will watch the first hour before switching to the women's final.

Last edited:
This is the first really good opponent Serena has played and it's showing. Halep is moving Serena from side to side and she can't handle it.

Thought I’d backed Williams I haven’t I backed Halep :lol::lol: put an Acca on Halep, Novak, Lewis Hamilton on the Grand Prix, Dubois in the boxing and England in the cricket tomorrow :lol:

Back