SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Weather permitting, there's a decent schedule tonight:

7pm - Katie Swan vs SaiSai Zheng, BT
9.30pm - Murray vs Edmund, Sky
11pm - Konta vs Kenin, BT

Katie Boulter is also scheduled but her 2nd round match is 7th on one of the courts so will be around 3/4am UK time if she gets on, may well be pushed back until tomorrow.

Probably best to see how she backs that up against Kenin tonight first but a great win.

Doesn't change anything if she loses really. You don't beat Serena Williams 6-0 6-1 if you aren't a good tennis player.

Some of the stuff that's been written about her is pretty ignorant in my opinion.

Katie Swan was very disappointing there against an opponent who retired in a match in China just 3 days ago and had a medical time out in this one. Big opportunity missed.

Quite enjoying this Murray-Edmund match - hope Andy comes through. Loving his match commentary :lol:.

Love these blue hard courts.

I do love the grass events, but this is my favourite time of the year, especially with the favourable time zones - can watch big names / good matches at prime time and for as long as you want really. Eventually went to bed around 1.30 yesterday after watching most of Watson's match.

Edmund with first blood and now serves for the set at 6-5.

Last edited:
Katie Boulter just about hanging on in her match which will be resumed later. 4-6 4-4. She follows a much that starts at 8.30pm so looking at 10/10.30pm for that. Venus vs Watson is at 3am and Murray is last on his court (vs Copil) so probably looking at the same time for that one. If Katie loses the current set then there won't be much British interest during social hours this evening but there are plenty of other decent matches on including the first tour meeting of the Zverev brother's, although that looks a pretty late one as well.

Oh and I keep forgetting about Cameron Norris as he is playing in that Mexico event where play starts in the early hours and is only on Tennis TV which I don't have. Anyway he beat F Lopez 6-3 6-3 last night to reach another ATP QF. He plays Mannarino in the early hours and is actually the favourite.

Jay Clarke, Gabi Taylor and Katy Dunne all have Lexington Challenger / ITF 2nd round matches today / early hours.

Last edited:
Oh and I keep forgetting about Cameron Norris as he is playing in that Mexico event where play starts in the early hours and is only on Tennis TV which I don't have. Anyway he beat F Lopez 6-3 6-3 last night to reach another ATP QF. He plays Mannarino in the early hours and is actually the favourite.

Through to face Fognini in the semi. He's playing very well.

Good straight sets win there for young Tsitsipas over Goffin to make the semi final. Up to 27 in the live rankings now.

Buzarnescu is a set and a break up in her match in San Jose so it shouldn't be too long until Konta vs Mertens.

Nadal has ran into a peak Djokovic and a peak Federer over his career and still managed to win 17 slams, all the injuries he has had to, he would have 20+ slams had it not been for that.

11 of those 17 have been the clay of Paris. His record outside of the French open is very average. Federer has 8 x Wimbledon 6 x Australian 6 x US. That matches all the greatest players at those tournaments.

Konta went from 5-2 up, playing brilliantly and in control to losing the set to Mertens on the tie break.

Raining again in Washington - they've been unlucky pretty much all week.

Konta's little run was rather abruptly ended the other night by Mertens who rolled off 11 of the last 15 games to win in straight sets - Jo also has a bit of a stinker of a draw in Montreal (like a Masters 1000 equivalent) next week. Katie Boulter has a match later this evening against a 15 year old Canadian wildcard (albeit a promising junior) but a great chance for her to win and also make the main draw of Montreal. The Rogers Cup (Montreal for women this year, Toronto for men) is the only main tour event this week.

Fognini ended Cameron Norrie's Los Cabos run in the semi final the other night and then went on to beat Delpo in the final.

3 finals tonight:
8pm - A Zverev vs De Minaur, Washington 500 (Sky)
10pm - Vekic vs Kuznetsova, Washington 250 (BT)
10pm - Sakkari vs Buzarnescu, San Jose 500 (BT)

Love watching de Minaur play. Hewitt, Ferrer and Goffin all spring to mind. Was stood inside the baseline trying to return Isner's serve the other week. Brave.

Hopefully puts quite a bit of bulk on like Zverev has done over the past year or two. Needs some pop on that serve because it's far too weak for him to get much higher. His ranking really is a testament to how good the rest of his game is.

Zverev defends his Washington title with a reasonably comfortable 6-2 6-4 win over ADM in about 75 mins. Think we'll likely see a few more finals between those 2 over the years. Buzarnescu beat Sakkar 6-1 6-0 in the San Jose final to take her first WTA title while Kuznetsova vs Vekic has just gone into a decider with Vekic having 4 match points.

Katie Boulter scraped past her 15 year old wildcard 2-6 6-3 6-4 to qualify for the Rogers Cup and faces Lesia Tsurenko in the first round tomorrow.

Rumour doing the rounds that Fed and Nadal are wrapping up together after the 2020 season. No idea how true it is.

Seemed likely for a while that 2020 is the scenario for Fed, his main goal seems pretty clear and that's only achievable if he sticks around until then. He's not gonna hang around for another four years after if he doesn't get it this time. Not sure Nadal needs to make a decision now mind.

Great win for Auger-Aliassime earlier against Lucas Pouille a day before his 18th birthday. Shapavalov had success on the Challenger tour last year and a bit at Queens and obviously that Davis Cup incident but he really burst on to the scene at the Rogers Cup when he got to the semi final, beating Nadal along the way and that massively boosted his ranking allowing him to play in more bigger events. He was a few months older and was already higher ranked, but I wonder if history will repeat itself here a bit. Medvedev up next.

Good come from behind win for Konta against Ostapenko earlier. Will play Azarenka or Mladenovic next.

Back