SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Yeah me too. That's an unreal run from AO 2011 through to FO 2016 - 11 slams in 22 and a further 6 finals. But on the other hand it is better than ending up with line ups like the US Open quarter final last year when the likes of Djok, Murray, Stan etc. aren't involved, so hopefully those 2 get back soon and as mentioned a few times, the more promising players start stepping up..

It’s been class over the last 18 months seeing Nadal and Federer winning slams again, Djokovic could win the next twenty slams and he still wouldn’t have the popularity and likeability that them two get, I just hope we aren’t heading back to him dominating again as it’s no fun to watch at all.

Not bad for Mike Bryan really. Part of the best doubles team of all time, his partner gets injured and he replaces him with arguably the best doubles player in the world right now.

Just looking at the ATP rankings, Sock is still 15th in the world, yet is 154 in the Race to London - what an awful 2018 he's had in the singles especially as he will have been seeded in a lot of tournaments this year.

Injury / scheduling permitting, the London list looks almost done and dusted already - Fed, Nadal, Djok, Cilic, Delpo, Thiem, Zverev and Anderson. Isner is next in line and well clear of 10th and I suppose could pick up a few points in the US hard court swing but will be had for anyone else to gatecrash it.

Just looking at the ATP rankings, Sock is still 15th in the world, yet is 154 in the Race to London - what an awful 2018 he's had in the singles especially as he will have been seeded in a lot of tournaments this year.

Injury / scheduling permitting, the London list looks almost done and dusted already - Fed, Nadal, Djok, Cilic, Delpo, Thiem, Zverev and Anderson. Isner is next in line and well clear of 10th and I suppose could pick up a few points in the US hard court swing but will be had for anyone else to gatecrash it.

Sock'll drop a little (but only a little) after Wimbledon as he's gone from round 2 last year to a round 1 exit this year. A fair amount of his ranking comes from the ATP finals last year (400 points) so he'll lose those come December barring miracles. He's also got the Paris Masters to defend, which is 1000 points.

It’s been class over the last 18 months seeing Nadal and Federer winning slams again, Djokovic could win the next twenty slams and he still wouldn’t have the popularity and likeability that them two get, I just hope we aren’t heading back to him dominating again as it’s no fun to watch at all.

Have to admit that I'm almost the opposite. I like Nadal, although I marginally wanted a Djokovic win today but will be more than happy if the King of Smug doesn't win another slam.

Sock'll drop a little (but only a little) after Wimbledon as he's gone from round 2 last year to a round 1 exit this year. A fair amount of his ranking comes from the ATP finals last year (400 points) so he'll lose those come December barring miracles. He's also got the Paris Masters to defend, which is 1000 points.

Have to admit that I'm almost the opposite. I like Nadal, although I marginally wanted a Djokovic win today but will be more than happy if the King of Smug doesn't win another slam.
An I the only one who thinks Nadal was a massive drugs cheat?

Don't know much about tennis, so could someone enlighten me on why the womens tennis has less sets than the mens game?

Why is it not the same amount?

Basically screws my evening. The main thing I wanted to do was watch the Reginald D Hunter thing at 9pm. Limited interest in the doubles for me...

Same for me really. I usually watch the mixed final as it often involves a Brit and it's a nice, relaxed, feel good way to end Wimbledon on final Sunday and I sometimes will watch MD or WD when other Brits are involved or a talented bunch of singles players, but I never really watch it outside of Wimbledon.

I'm not doing anything tonight so have watched bits and bobs of this final and now it's gone to a decider I will watch to it's conclusion.

Last edited:
Same for me really. I usually watch the mixed final as it often involves a Brit and it's a nice, relaxed, feel good way to end Wimbledon on final Sunday and I sometimes will watch when other Brits are involved or a talented bunch of singles players, but I never really watch it outside of Wimbledon.

I'm not doing anything tonight so have watched bits and bobs of this final and now it's gone to a decider I will watch to it's conclusion.

Aye, I'm watching as well... it's entertaining but I can't get engaged too much.

Aye, I'm watching as well... it's entertaining but I can't get engaged too much.

I'll definitely watch the first set of Draper's final tomorrow at 1pm - it may well be over before the main (tennis) final starts given the way his semi final went and that the opponent has now reached all 3 junior slam finals in 2018.

As for the tennis-football situation, I'll watch the tennis from 2pm and if it's decent I'll continue watching and have the football on the laptop at 4pm, but if it's not very competitive and Djok is well on his way then I'll watch the rest of the tennis on the laptop.

I'll definitely watch the first set of Draper's final tomorrow at 1pm - it may well be over before the main (tennis) final starts given the way his semi final went and that the opponent has now reached all 3 junior slam finals in 2018.

As for the tennis-football situation, I'll watch the tennis from 2pm and if it's decent I'll continue watching and have the football on the laptop at 4pm, but if it's not very competitive and Djok is well on his way then I'll watch the rest of the tennis on the laptop.

Same for me with the tennis vs football.

Don't know much about tennis, so could someone enlighten me on why the womens tennis has less sets than the mens game?

Why is it not the same amount?
Back in the day the women's game didn't have much depth, best of 3 was designed to stop total humiliations of the lesser player. 6-0, 6-0 is better than 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

Back in the day the women's game didn't have much depth, best of 3 was designed to stop total humiliations of the lesser player. 6-0, 6-0 is better than 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

Hmm doesn't seem like a good reason, but i'm a tennis virgin so can't really argue against that.

Back