SMB Photography Competition Round 4 - Obsolete. Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, its up and running.

I wish the weather and light had been a bit better but that's the way it goes.

I can sit back and relax for a month now. ;)

I took some canny ones yesterday based on the theme but the light and weather was gash so I think I'll hang fire a bit hoping that the weather gets better.

I also had to google Cornovii :oops:

I took some canny ones yesterday based on the theme but the light and weather was gash so I think I'll hang fire a bit hoping that the weather gets better.

I also had to google Cornovii :oops:

I thought of that place straight away as I'd been there before, it's off the A5 on the way to North Wales but don't know if I'd get the chance again this month so you take your chances I suppose.

It's hand held at around 50mm with 4 images stitched together manually to give me the wider view and to give an idea of the size of the construction which is over 2,500 years old so hope that is acceptable.

Another problem I have is that I edit photots to be displayed with a black surround which makes them look lighter than when I upload them and they have have a white surround. I'll have to bear that in mind in future I think.

I've added a black surround which I prefer but can't delete the first image.

Although either the site or photobucket seems to be limiting the size.

Oh, I dunno. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.....

Last edited:
I'm off to Brighton for a Bank Holiday day trip tomorrow - lovely :cool:.

I will be taking the camera to see if, with this month's theme in mind, I can get an original take on Brighton's West Pier - google it and you will see what I mean, but also see how hard it is to do something original with it. That's why this month's topic is so interesting.

Anyone else shot anything yet then?

I should start a Flickr gallery of my rejects I guess.

Stumbled across a building being knocked down the other day when I had my camera with me. Got a couple of good shots but I don't think they'll quite make the final cut for the comp (need to up my game after last month!). I'll hoy them up when I've got them off my camera.

might just crop my entry from last month and have the Dhow boat on its tod.... then again looking at the amount of votes it got you bassards!:evil:

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of that place straight away as I'd been there before, it's off the A5 on the way to North Wales but don't know if I'd get the chance again this month so you take your chances I suppose.

It's hand held at around 50mm with 4 images stitched together manually to give me the wider view and to give an idea of the size of the construction which is over 2,500 years old so hope that is acceptable.
Oh, I dunno. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.....
when you walk along the wear under the bridges, you come to an orange brick construction with a hole in it......... that looks obsolete, what is it? It is about as high as the rock side is (?)

when you walk along the wear under the bridges, you come to an orange brick construction with a hole in it......... that looks obsolete, what is it? It is about as high as the rock side is (?)

I dunno. The shipyards were thriving for a long time after I first left the NE so never really walked along there.

From the stadium as you look up river but on the same bank there is some old brickword that is built into the rockface quite high up that looks pretty old but don't know if it is still used.

Is that what you mean, on a bend in the river?

Whatever its original use I expect it is obsolete for that now.

Anyone else shot anything yet then?

I should start a Flickr gallery of my rejects I guess.

They're waiting for the Sun.

Last edited:
A couple of things I've shot as potential entries for the competition here. I wasn't shooting for the competition when I took these and it's stuff I just stumbled across.

I have a few ideas for this round - one of which needs to be shot on Polaroid film.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any - all the stores say it's obsolete. Still looking though, and when I find some it'll be out of date too with a bit of luck.

I have a few ideas for this round - one of which needs to be shot on Polaroid film.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any - all the stores say it's obsolete. Still looking though, and when I find some it'll be out of date too with a bit of luck.

It's a shame you couldn't take a pic of it :lol:

A couple of things I've shot as potential entries for the competition here. I wasn't shooting for the competition when I took these and it's stuff I just stumbled across.

the cup is cleaner than the one on my desk at graft :lol:

Locked in Time, By WillD.

We strolled around Rome today and decided to lock our love in eternity by writing our names on locks and fixing them to the Ponte Milvio bridge accross the Tevere.

Its a tradition to do this, but the locks are then obsolete, the two keys are thrown into the river by the two people who have locked their love forever.

My most thoughtful effort so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

We strolled around Rome today and decided to lock our love in eternity by writing our names on locks and fixing them to the Ponte Milvio bridge accross the Tevere.

Its a tradition to do this, but the locks are then obsolete, the two keys are thrown into the river by the two people who have locked their love forever.

photography forum, not poetry :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your pic on the forum. Why not post that below the photo?

ya big soppy git (mind you I nearly cried when I read it :lol:)

our love could have lasted
except I shot the cheating bastard

like the cup mate

you big tart....nice photo though

like the cup mate

you big tart....nice photo though

I thank you, but if you ever travel to Rome its one of the places thats never mentioned as a tourist attraction, it might be a good idea for a valentines day trip.

I have lots of photos from the village we visited the other day, all around it the ground has sank, its only accessable by footbridge.

And a little town north of Rome is twinned with Easter Island and their natives came over abd carved a statue out of local rock.

I will post them if anyones interested.

ya big soppy git (mind you I nearly cried when I read it :lol:)

our love could have lasted
except I shot the cheating bastard

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back