SMB Ex Expats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moved back six months ago and in some ways it has been hard but overall happy.

Mind we moved back for family and that we wanted our kids to know them and grow up with them in their lives. Australia is far away if your folks can't make it out. Those who stayed tended to be those with some Aussie family or their parents could afford regular trips. If we hadn't had kids we'd have stayed as had a great bunch of friends and a good life.

The weather is probably the hardest part especially here in the NE. Watching London swelter while we were wrapping up was particularly shite. It's more expensive here now than I remember and now will only get worse with Brexit.

We've moved in to house which we couldn't dream of having in Sydney. Our little shoebox with us all crammed in has been long forgotton with Edwardian space and character. I love Roker and have little need to venture in to the town centre which is good as it's pretty grim. We've got a weekend escape down in N.Yorks too and we lovely the English countryside. So life is pretty good on that front.

I moved without a job but felt confident I'd get something. Turned out I ended up getting more money than I was on in Sydney so that's great but the job is dull compared to my last one and is in a shite 50's building on team valley rather than the 22nd floor of a modern tower with views of Sydney Harbour bridge and there is no social life with it.

I am thinking about packing it in with Qatar and moving back home. No home as the house is rented out and no job to walk in to.

Financially it’s obviously a poor decision, I should hang on until 2022, watch England win the World Cup on my 60th then retire but health wise I think it’s a good move. I feel drained every day and for the first time in my life I think I am homesick.

Any SMB expats done this and regretted it?
I done exactly the same just over 2 years ago, I done 7 1/2yrs in Qatar, never really regretted the decision, who is it you work for there?

Is it the job that makes you feel down? If yes, can you not try to change jobs first rather than a huge life upheaval?

The UK is great, but cold, wet and dark for four months.

,Must be the summer you're talking about.

Moved back six months ago and in some ways it has been hard but overall happy.

Mind we moved back for family and that we wanted our kids to know them and grow up with them in their lives. Australia is far away if your folks can't make it out. Those who stayed tended to be those with some Aussie family or their parents could afford regular trips. If we hadn't had kids we'd have stayed as had a great bunch of friends and a good life.

The weather is probably the hardest part especially here in the NE. Watching London swelter while we were wrapping up was particularly shite. It's more expensive here now than I remember and now will only get worse with Brexit.

We've moved in to house which we couldn't dream of having in Sydney. Our little shoebox with us all crammed in has been long forgotton with Edwardian space and character. I love Roker and have little need to venture in to the town centre which is good as it's pretty grim. We've got a weekend escape down in N.Yorks too and we lovely the English countryside. So life is pretty good on that front.

I moved without a job but felt confident I'd get something. Turned out I ended up getting more money than I was on in Sydney so that's great but the job is dull compared to my last one and is in a shite 50's building on team valley rather than the 22nd floor of a modern tower with views of Sydney Harbour bridge and there is no social life with it.

I wondered what had happened - when we had that little exchange with HBT you were looking to emigrate then it seemed as if you were back so didn't know whether you had actually gone or not.

Last edited:
Loving life in the south of france and no plans to return home just yet..maybe head back for a few days in september though to watch a few games.

wish I'd done it sooner and will be encouraging the kids to do it asap, met some brilliant people
I wish I had done it soon, waiting until my late forties was a bit crazy really.
Many thoughts going through my head as to where my next move will be.
I honestly have no idea what to do:rolleyes:

I left England in 1996 at 19 years old for Hong Kong and we moved back here 3 years ago wanting to live in North East, workwise it was a bummer as the interior fit out Project Management companies are few and far between up north.
Decided after a year to move down to London to work at my old company from Hong Kong.
Whilst closer to "home" its still a million miles away from the north east where I really want to be. Who knows, we will get there one day I hope. If not I may consider another role back where my mates are out in Asia.

Love - the football at reasonable hours, the cheap food, the vast motorways, the winter.
Hate - the work ethic, the football.

My eldest has been in the UK for around 5 year at boarding school, my youngest has wanted to live the UK for a while now, so at 8yo he's moving in with my sister for few years till he's ready for boarding. My missus agreed, as he was going to a good school, but after school and weekends, there really isn't much to do with kids in Hanoi.

So with that, I'm in the process of buying a place back in the UK, but won't stop overseas working till the pennies are back up again. The missus will spend several months a year in the UK with the boys. My plan is to try get a rotation job in the Middle East, so home more. Missus said she has no desire to go the UK now that she's older full time, so her tough shit, so will be strange part time family mix, we'll keep our Vietnam apartment as she'll be there, and who knows in the future.

Same as me, my other half reckons I have no chance of staying put

Maersk Oil Qatar who change to NOC this weekend.

I left England in 1996 at 19 years old for Hong Kong and we moved back here 3 years ago wanting to live in North East, workwise it was a bummer as the interior fit out Project Management companies are few and far between up north.
Decided after a year to move down to London to work at my old company from Hong Kong.
Whilst closer to "home" its still a million miles away from the north east where I really want to be. Who knows, we will get there one day I hope. If not I may consider another role back where my mates are out in Asia.

Love - the football at reasonable hours, the cheap food, the vast motorways, the winter.
Hate - the work ethic, the football.

Significant trend on this thread.

Live in Florida at the moment. Life is good here, but have been feeling homesick the past few months, not sure why, as I've lived away most of my working life.

Maybe due to having elderly parents and wanting to spend some time with them before it's too late.

Have considered moving back to the UK, but don't fancy Sunderland. Maybe Northumberland or the Lake District.

Live in Florida at the moment. Life is good here, but have been feeling homesick the past few months, not sure why, as I've lived away most of my working life.

Maybe due to having elderly parents and wanting to spend some time with them before it's too late.

Have considered moving back to the UK, but don't fancy Sunderland. Maybe Northumberland or the Lake District.
Much the same. I was a bit of a nomad for years, then spent about 5 years in Beijing before settling in Houston. My mother's 84 now, and starting to grow old, so Id like to spend more time there.
It would have to be the Lake District, Northumberland or Edinburgh though.

I'm slowly heading back to UK. Now in my 36th year of a 2 year stint in SE Asia. Landed in Singapore in 1982, moved north to Malaysia (Melaka) after 9 year, and then north again to Thailand 11 years after that. Spent 7 year in south Thailand before moving to my current place in North East Thailand (Isaan). Another 150 year and I may make it back, but probably not.

Where in Florida? I dunno how anyone could contemplate moving back to GB after experiencing the weather and beaches of Florida like.

Much the same. I was a bit of a nomad for years, then spent about 5 years in Beijing before settling in Houston. My mother's 84 now, and starting to grow old, so Id like to spend more time there.
It would have to be the Lake District, Northumberland or Edinburgh though.

But if I was forced to go back you'get problies picked my choices anarl, along with maybe the Yorkshire Dales area if I could handle being in the countryside

Last edited:
Where in Florida? I dunno how anyone could contemplate moving back to GB after experiencing the weather and beaches of Florida like.

I'm in central Florida, next to Lake Louisa State Park, about 40 minutes from Disney. The weathers great, but often its too hot to be outside. Don't go to the beach much, probably due to being spoilt with the twin resorts of Roker and Seaburn. I enjoy riding my motorbike and shooting (not at the same time), things I probably would not do in the UK.

Works busy, and is very stressful, so not enjoying that aspect at the minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back