SMB Ex Expats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spenny

Striker
I am thinking about packing it in with Qatar and moving back home. No home as the house is rented out and no job to walk in to.

Financially it’s obviously a poor decision, I should hang on until 2022, watch England win the World Cup on my 60th then retire but health wise I think it’s a good move. I feel drained every day and for the first time in my life I think I am homesick.

Any SMB expats done this and regretted it?

I am thinking about packing it in with Qatar and moving back home. No home as the house is rented out and no job to walk in to.

Financially it’s obviously a poor decision, I should hang on until 2022, watch England win the World Cup on my 60th then retire but health wise I think it’s a good move. I feel drained every day and for the first time in my life I think I am homesick.

I am doing it next year, but I already have plans to move out. Going to spend 6 months a year in Greece. I think once you have been away you wont settle back in blighty full time

Is it the job that makes you feel down? If yes, can you not try to change jobs first rather than a huge life upheaval?

The UK is great, but cold, wet and dark for four months.

That's quite appealing at the moment but no doubt the novelty would wear quickly. I took my first ever office job here, I'm just not office material.

I am doing it next year, but I already have plans to move out. Going to spend 6 months a year in Greece. I think once you have been away you wont settle back in blighty full time

Yeah this is the worry.

I work rotations and this is most likely my last. I have itchy feet already and don't know how it's going to affect me being in one place all the time.

I work rotations and this is most likely my last. I have itchy feet already and don't know how it's going to affect me being in one place all the time.
Same as me, my other half reckons I have no chance of staying put

I do roughly 6 months here, 6 months in Spain, but break that in to undefined lots, so might do 4 weeks there then three months here. TBH couldn't do without either, Sunderland is always home, but shit weather and the increasing number of chavs means I love the sun and the manana attitude when I'm there. It's finding that balance that's right for u m8.

We came back in January and at the moment not regretting it. But you never say never and may move away again.
I don't need to work but after a few weeks got bored and started to look for some work to keep my sanity and after a few non responses and rejections got a bit disheartened and thought if I had done the right thing.
Anyhoo got myself a canny little number and life is good at the moment.
So good luck if and when you return.

I do roughly 6 months here, 6 months in Spain, but break that in to undefined lots, so might do 4 weeks there then three months here. TBH couldn't do without either, Sunderland is always home, but shit weather and the increasing number of chavs means I love the sun and the manana attitude when I'm there. It's finding that balance that's right for u m8.
This is my eventual plan. One foot in the U.K. and one foot somewhere hot.

I've been back in UK for about 18 months. As you'd expect, it's been mixed.
I moved back without a job lined up btw...
Pros...
1. Prefer my new job and there seems to be plenty of work in my field.
2. Proper beer is popular and readily available.
3. Plenty of things going on sport and entertainment wise.

Cons.
1. Expensive
2. Salaries seem to have gone down.
3. Weather

Sometimes it seems the grass is always greener. When I'm home, I'm counting the days until I'm away. When I'm away, I'm counting the days until I'm home.
Usually when i go home on leave we book a holiday lol, airmiles are good mind.

Usually when i go home on leave we book a holiday lol, airmiles are good mind.

Yes, yes they are. We are going to France this year and I'm only paying airport taxes as the flights are on the miles. The problem I have is I'm at work on both sides of the rotation with 'normal' holiday pattern.

There's a few new projects starting soon so see what lady luck brings.

Not in my immediate thoughts to do so, but will be one day maybe. @Sandboy has moved back recently I believe. Would be interesting to get his thoughts on it (if he does not mind).

been back almost 5 years now, still get itchy feet though

first of all I didn't want to come back, we had a great life and great friends but..... my boss was killed in an accident and the company management changed from Canadian to Egyptian and those who've been out there will know what that entails ! I was offered a job with the same company, same salary, continuous employment etc back in the UK so it was a decent offer.

How you feel about the UK depends on where you are living overseas I suppose. Biggest miss is the weather ( and the tax free salary and allowances ) but it is nice to be in civilisation again. Things just work here, we take it for granted, I felt after 10 years in the Middle East I'd been lucky not be involved in a road accident, locked up on some dubious charge ( if anything happens at the company they come for the boss ). If I'd lived in a more civilised country I'd have been more reluctant to come back.

No regrets though, apart from the bastard season ticket

been back almost 5 years now, still get itchy feet though

first of all I didn't want to come back, we had a great life and great friends but..... my boss was killed in an accident and the company management changed from Canadian to Egyptian and those who've been out there will know what that entails ! I was offered a job with the same company, same salary, continuous employment etc back in the UK so it was a decent offer.

How you feel about the UK depends on where you are living overseas I suppose. Biggest miss is the weather ( and the tax free salary and allowances ) but it is nice to be in civilisation again. Things just work here, we take it for granted, I felt after 10 years in the Middle East I'd been lucky not be involved in a road accident, locked up on some dubious charge ( if anything happens at the company they come for the boss ). If I'd lived in a more civilised country I'd have been more reluctant to come back.

No regrets though, apart from the bastard season ticket
It's great that you had the experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back