Smallest away contingent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relative to home crowd you’ve seen? Was in Valencia last week (aye, look at me etc) and took in a game at their place. Crowd of around 40,000 there. Was sat a block away from what had been set aside for the Alaves fans and counted 8 of them. Chatting to a local who informed me there isn’t much of a tradition of following your team to away games in Spain. Still surprised me though. So, as per title, what’s the smallest away crowd relative to home support anyone has seen?

Me and a few of my school mates used to go to Darlington matches back in the day. One game they played Torquay and there were 2 of the fans there iirc, some hike that like. 353 miles each way according to Autoroute.

I remember Plymouth bringing next to fuck all at Roker in 1992. One of those pre cup final matches when you got a voucher for cup final tickets ballot. To be fair to them, it was a Thursday night.

Reading must have brought about 300 to the SOL in the south stand when Keane was manager.

When we played the reverse fixture at Christmas they were taking the piss at the fact they had sold out their 24k ground :confused:

Remember a game at roker against Rotherham, full members cup or some shoite. Police down the side of the little corner protecting Rotheram fans who had the grand total of zero fans.

Relative to home crowd you’ve seen? Was in Valencia last week (aye, look at me etc) and took in a game at their place. Crowd of around 40,000 there. Was sat a block away from what had been set aside for the Alaves fans and counted 8 of them. Chatting to a local who informed me there isn’t much of a tradition of following your team to away games in Spain. Still surprised me though. So, as per title, what’s the smallest away crowd relative to home support anyone has seen?

Dukla Prague took 2 or possibly 3 to an away game at Bohemians we went to last season. Its a derby and you can get between the grounds in about 30 mins on a tram.

We got back from Germany yesterday having seen Fortuna Dusseldorf v Hannover 96 and then Wuppertal v Koln II. There was only 1 Koln fan there in colours, although it looked like maybe 2 or 3 others as well. Their first team were playing away at the same time mind and when we got back to Koln there were loads out in the town who had been watching the game.

Last edited:
I’ve been to see Depor at Barca, Real Madrid and Valencia. Very few away fans at any game in Spain and they’re normally exiles. In the Bernabéu Xisco scored for Depor after 3 mins and there wasn’t a squeak from anywhere in the ground.
If that’s the useless twat that played for the mags they were probably in shock.

Millwall when we beat them 6-0 at Roker didn’t have many they were top at the time too , they ended up getting relegated that season

I remember Plymouth bringing next to fuck all at Roker in 1992. One of those pre cup final matches when you got a voucher for cup final tickets ballot. To be fair to them, it was a Thursday night.
I was on 4pm shift at Wearmouth Pit that night, rode in on the man-rider, told the Deputy I was going straight back out as I was ill, went to the medical centre to report sick.

I was in a line of about 10 of my Marras, and when I went in the room to see the Medical Centre attendant Billy, he said what’s the matter Marra, I said “Cup Fever Billy, Cup Fever!

Spain is notorious for away fans not travelling. Many of the games involve very long distances. Even Real and Barca only take a few hundred.
I don't get this about Spain. I went to Barca away to Atletico for a game when they won the league a couple of years back and they only had a few hundred. As others have said it's not a question of distance either - local games have small away followings. One thing I have noticed is that away fans go in the home end more - I saw that at Real Madrid vs Bilbao where there were way more Bilbao fans in the home end (maybe 1,000 dotted around) than the away end (a few hundred). It's not even obvious how to buy away tickets in Spain. I asked a bloke next to me at the Calderon once why it is and he said something like "why would I want to go to someone else's ground?" Are there any other countries like this? I've been to games in Argentina and Italy and seen great away support, Germans obviously renowned for it...

Us at Fulham at the end of last season. Probably the smallest Sunderland away following I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back