Sky price increases whilst in contract

Just been speaking to them. I'd cancelled but they'd offered me £43 a month to stay which was around the price I was willing to accept. However after speaking to them they said that I'd actually be paying £65 a month with the price rises. I queried that if I was signing an 18 month contract at £43 a month should that not be the price I pay otherwise the contract is worthless but they weren't having it.
Safe to say I'm going ahead with the cancellation.

If you leave it a while you will likely get a better offer. I cancelled them years ago. They were offering good deals near the end of the notice period and and then after. Don't miss them at all. Their broadband seems shit as well.

You can definitely cancel or renegotiate the broadband element. The email even says…

We hope you’ll continue to enjoy our services, but if you’re not happy with these changes, you can cancel your Sky Broadband and/or Boost and/or Talk service(s) by calling 0344 824 4450. If you’re within your minimum contract period, call us within 30 days of getting this email to avoid early termination charges.

Think the TV is different, but ignore those saying it’s in your contract that they can bump your broadband up as they see fit.

This has always happened..when i renewed two years ago it was £51 for the sports and the broadband..a week into my contract it went up to £56..earlier this month my contract ended on £66 a month..if i'd renewed it was going to be £92 a month..fk that..cancelled.

Virgin do it aswell

This might be a mis selling scandal of the future
Robbing bastards
One thing to note is that the price rise is based on the full amount it would be before you get any money discounts. Basically whatever £'s the normal price goes up on the % is what you may pay extra on your discounted price. I was paying £19 for Virgin Media Broadband and it went up to £25 as the % increase was on the normal £49 which had gone to £55, so £6 (about 9%). My discount was £34 quid on the monthly amount and not a percentage, hence it now being £25.

I actually called up to query why it had gone up £6 which is just over 30% increase. They didn't really know and that's when I clicked how it went up that much, it was on the full price not the discounted price I was paying. I even had to argue with them to refund me and drop it. They said it was in the T&Cs but I said it wasn't mentioned when I renewed last time. When I asked them for a copy they directed me online to the latest T&Cs and sure enough it was but my contract started before the date they came into effect.

Unsurprising they didn't have the older one and even pointed me to a different set trying to fob me off. It was a tit for tat but then I eventually found them in an email they'd sent and sure enough in the T&Cs it basically said I would not have to pay any more than initially agreed. When I said I could send them this email, they had no way to accept emails or owt else to see what I had in front of me. What a clart on to get my money back as it had been increased for a few months. They must rip people off left, right and centre as I can't have been the only person to be on the old T&Cs. The renewal team also offered me £23 and said I wouldn't get it any cheaper and that the offer isn't guaranteed if I didn't take it now. Yet the renewal option in my account offered me £21 a month, again trying to pull a fast one!

Is this explained to people though as the same % increase I had on the £49 put on £19 would mean it would go up to just £20.70, which I bet a lot of people will think would happen. As you say it could be the next mis-selling scandal, is this fully explained to people given the increase will actually be a higher percentage on what the pay than the pre-discounted price is?

Someone who is heavily discounted like I was, may be in for a shock when the next price rise comes in. I'm currently paying £21 on that £55 but now tied into the new T&Cs so it will probably go up about £7 this time, which in effect is a 33% increase and I pay £28.

Last edited:
I think they all have clauses now to raise prices during a contract. A few years ago it was different but not now.
It depends on the terms and conditions at the time you signed your contract, I believe. If you can prove that they changed the way they increase prices after you signed, you're bound by the terms you signed and not terms that they've changed since.

It depends on the terms and conditions at the time you signed your contract, I believe. If you can prove that they changed the way they increase prices after you signed, you're bound by the terms you signed and not terms that they've changed since.
I recently stayed with Vodafone for BB because I'd save next to nothing to change. Plus every time I change provider that's another router for the bin. I hate that environment aspect of different providers all having their own router and so many being chucked.
Anyway, even though I extended my existing contract they started me afresh with new terms and conditions to suit them. Unless you've got a very old contract that you've managed to hold onto then your terms and conditions will allow them to up the price every April. I'm not sure if every company has this clause where they can put your payments up mid contract. But every BB and mobile provider I've looked at the last few years does this now. Another "rip off Britain" scam that we just have to suck up

Had the issue of a new deal earlier this month at £x per month, within 5 days my agreed price was higher because of this rise. Rang and have cancelled everything now as weren't interested, just said I should know it goes up. Didn't expect it would this April given the time of year.

Genuinely don't think they are interested in retaining certain customers, as they own now TV I think, which will likely now go up in price.

It's happening in other countries also.

Received an email from my t.v and phone providers here in Bulgaria telling me my monthly payments will increase due to inflation.

I’ve always wondered why this is acceptable. RPI or 3.9% I get, but rpi + 3.9% seems a massive piss take.

Imagine if that was the expectation for wage increases across the board. The press would be screaming about how the above inflation wage rises would create a spiral.

Corporations continue to gouge and not a peep.

If the RPI is zero then why increase prices at all? The cost base would not have increased, so profit level would be unaffected
Aye that’s a point no idea why it’s basically two price increases
Not like it’s a new thing. They’ve been doing it for years. Only one I’ve seen that doesn’t do it is Grain.

In case RPI is zero?
It’s been going on for at least 18 months that I can remember and well advertised (not that it’s right they can do this )

Last edited:
One thing to note is that the price rise is based on the full amount it would be before you get any money discounts. Basically whatever £'s the normal price goes up on the % is what you may pay extra on your discounted price. I was paying £19 for Virgin Media Broadband and it went up to £25 as the % increase was on the normal £49 which had gone to £55, so £6 (about 9%). My discount was £34 quid on the monthly amount and not a percentage, hence it now being £25.

I actually called up to query why it had gone up £6 which is just over 30% increase. They didn't really know and that's when I clicked how it went up that much, it was on the full price not the discounted price I was paying. I even had to argue with them to refund me and drop it. They said it was in the T&Cs but I said it wasn't mentioned when I renewed last time. When I asked them for a copy they directed me online to the latest T&Cs and sure enough it was but my contract started before the date they came into effect.

Unsurprising they didn't have the older one and even pointed me to a different set trying to fob me off. It was a tit for tat but then I eventually found them in an email they'd sent and sure enough in the T&Cs it basically said I would not have to pay any more than initially agreed. When I said I could send them this email, they had no way to accept emails or owt else to see what I had in front of me. What a clart on to get my money back as it had been increased for a few months. They must rip people off left, right and centre as I can't have been the only person to be on the old T&Cs. The renewal team also offered me £23 and said I wouldn't get it any cheaper and that the offer isn't guaranteed if I didn't take it now. Yet the renewal option in my account offered me £21 a month, again trying to pull a fast one!

Is this explained to people though as the same % increase I had on the £49 put on £19 would mean it would go up to just £20.70, which I bet a lot of people will think would happen. As you say it could be the next mis-selling scandal, is this fully explained to people given the increase will actually be a higher percentage on what the pay than the pre-discounted price is?

Someone who is heavily discounted like I was, may be in for a shock when the next price rise comes in. I'm currently paying £21 on that £55 but now tied into the new T&Cs so it will probably go up about £7 this time, which in effect is a 33% increase and I pay £28.
Same with me when I haggled last chance etc
Finally got skysports HD for about £80 a month was happy with that ,£20 a week seems fair with broadband as our lass works from home and needs secure BB

There will have been some sort of clause in the terms and conditions that we all scroll past and don't read but happily agree to that allows them to do it.

My mobile contract and dental plan have both recently gone up, waiting for an email from Virgin for the same.

I get the RPI rise but why the 3.9% on top?
Robbery.

The rpi isn't even remotely fair. There's another index that's used by IT firms that represents their particular inflation and it's much lower than rpi
It was 3.5% for this year.

I've had sky for years, but don't even think I watch that much, even the football. Its more likely to be on in the background. Its probably only Sunderland away games that I actually sit down on watch in full.

This Its time to cancel, maybe get netflix in.

If anyone has got a good alternative sky replacement though please let me know.

Same with me when I haggled last chance etc
Finally got skysports HD for about £80 a month was happy with that ,£20 a week seems fair with broadband as our lass works from home and needs secure BB
I don’t have the Sports but Now Tv keep offering the 12 sport channels at £19.99 pm. On offer instead of £34.99. You have to add boost to get HD full price £5 but haggle and it’s £2.

I use freesat and pay for Now (£8) & Netflix (5£) Keep hitting I’m leaving on Now and always get a deal out of them for the movies and entertainment for the next six months. Same with boost.

We’re not the biggest sports fans tbh so Sky doesn’t bother me.

BB via a sim router (up to 32 devices) with an unlimited data sim from Smarty (16£) No kids at home to hammer it so it runs the blink stuff, the phones etc and the streaming on tv no bother.

No price hikes

Last edited:
My SKY broadband contract actually says they may put the prices up during the contact, but also says I may end the contract if they do - so its definitely negotiable.

My previous Vodafone contract allowed them to put it up by RPI + a %age and couldn't be cancelled without a penalty.

Check the wording of the deal you signed up to.

Back