Sky price increases whilst in contract

safccfas

Winger
Just received an email from sky telling me they are putting up their prices on Sky TV and Broadband.

Am I right in thinking that I can use this as an opportunity to cancel out of my contract ?

Just received an email from sky telling me they are putting up their prices on Sky TV and Broadband.

Am I right in thinking that I can use this as an opportunity to cancel out of my contract ?
Broadband yes. Tv only if its going up by more than 10%. Mine will be going up in April as well. Last year they wouldn't budge but previous years I've phoned them and they've scrapped the rise. If you are happy with the service it's worth a call.

Bear in mind if you are looking at other providers prices the vast majority of them will be putting their prices up in April as well. The government was supposed to be looking into stopping them doing it but as with everything else they are taking their time about it.

Last edited:
Just been speaking to them. I'd cancelled but they'd offered me £43 a month to stay which was around the price I was willing to accept. However after speaking to them they said that I'd actually be paying £65 a month with the price rises. I queried that if I was signing an 18 month contract at £43 a month should that not be the price I pay otherwise the contract is worthless but they weren't having it.
Safe to say I'm going ahead with the cancellation.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was going to be the excuse I could use to get out of the contracts. I don’t live in the house anymore and I’m paying for a sky and broadband I don’t even use !

BT are total robbing ***** if that helps.
It does stink a bit but it is indeed in the contract - mobile phones too I think.
Retailers like shops and petrol stations do it daily but we have to suck it up.
I guess the broadband people can either front end load it ( thus the price looks high) or slip it in yearly.( ooh matron).

Imagine asking your company for a contractural index linked salary !

RPI + 3.9% IIRC
I’ve always wondered why this is acceptable. RPI or 3.9% I get, but rpi + 3.9% seems a massive piss take.

Imagine if that was the expectation for wage increases across the board. The press would be screaming about how the above inflation wage rises would create a spiral.

Corporations continue to gouge and not a peep.
Not like it’s a new thing. They’ve been doing it for years. Only one I’ve seen that doesn’t do it is Grain.

In case RPI is zero?
If the RPI is zero then why increase prices at all? The cost base would not have increased, so profit level would be unaffected

Last edited:
I’ve always wondered why this is acceptable. RPI or 3.9% I get, but rpi + 3.9% seems a massive piss take.

Imagine if that was the expectation for wage increases across the board. The press would be screaming about how the above inflation wage rises would create a spiral.

Corporations continue to gouge and not a peep.

If the RPI is zero then why increase prices at all? The cost base would not have increased, so profit level would be unaffected
More profit? Just a stab in the dark like.

Back