Sky, Disney, Murdoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Netflix is vendor free. They just supply the app for anybody. It’s up to hardware vendors to want them and support them. Some do better jobs than others.

I think the only device Netflix isn’t on is nowtv for obvious reasons.
Aye played a blinder Netflix, getting themselves out there and easily accessible and at an unbelievable price for the average person

90% of this is to buy the back catalogue of fox and all the franchises. To make loads more films and TV shows.

UK sky TV is a tiny piece. I doubt disney give two fucks about it.

Ironically, they want to go the other way, by launching their own streaming service. They've been talking about pulling content from Netflix et al. for ages . As part of this deal they now own a chunk of their own streaming service

The other thing. Everything Disney but they milk the back catalogue.

Some may disagree. But they haven’t really ballsed up star wars / Pixar or marvel.

The nerds may not agree. But commercials they have done well and recouped purchase prices with in 5 years on them.

And I think more and more people are looking at the packages and not getting value for money.
Yep. They can’t compete in any field they’re in. (They present sports quite nicely and that’s it) Any other big streaming company could easily take the premiership rights straight off them. They have nothing uniquely good. They should’ve really tried to make their own high quality tv shows (like Netflix has very cleverly done) I’m struggling to think of any.

Ironically, they want to go the other way, by launching their own streaming service. They've been talking about pulling content from Netflix et al. for ages . As part of this deal they now own a chunk of their own streaming service
They already have their own streaming service in the UK. It's very good too.

90% of this is to buy the back catalogue of fox and all the franchises. To make loads more films and TV shows.

UK sky TV is a tiny piece. I doubt disney give two fucks about it.

Disney bought a streaming service in this deal Hulu (now tv in the uk).

Well looks like the old twat is selling sky to Disney for gazillions of quid. Good move or a sign sky will get more pricey if Disney get heir mits on it?

Personally I think the old bastard has foreseen the demise of sky and is selling up for a massive price while he can with the likes of Netflix and prime getting better by the day and the footy and other sports being shown less and less on sky
Why not just sell his stake in Sky then?

May have read this wrong, but Hulu & nowtv have nothing to do with each other.

Why not just sell his stake in Sky then?
Not sure how much sky is actually worth by itself in fairness, and fox is probably more important to Disney. it's also getting attacked from all sides by the likes of Netflix and the rest, and their market share is just going to decrease as Netflix and amazon ramp up their output at prices I'd imagine sky can't compete at especially with the added cost of hardware to maintain.
They've got the football that differentiates them a little but have lost a lot of that and cricket to bt and the uk isn't a huge audience in comparison to the world wide models of the others

"As part of this deal they now own a chunk of their own streaming service"

I know, that's what I said :)

They'd been talking about pulling their content from Netflix about 6 months ago - so you can see how this ties in with their plans. UK Sky TV is just a small bit tagged on that they won't really care about.

Not sure how much sky is actually worth by itself in fairness, it's getting attacked from all sides by the likes of Netflix and the rest, and their market share is just going to decrease as Netflix and amazon ramp up their output at prices I'd imagine sky can't compete at especially with the added cost of hardware to maintain.
They've got the football that differentiates them a little but have lost a lot of that and cricket to bt and the uk isn't a huge audience in comparison to the world wide models of the others
The hardware will be gone before long - it'll all be delivered over the internet VERY soon. They'll become live TV + on demand everything.

I haven't seen the point in Sky for 10+years, but clearly plenty of people do.

"As part of this deal they now own a chunk of their own streaming service"

I know, that's what I said :)

They'd been talking about pulling their content from Netflix about 6 months ago - so you can see how this ties in with their plans. UK Sky TV is just a small bit tagged on that they won't really care about.

The hardware will be gone before long - it'll all be delivered over the internet VERY soon. They'll become live TV + on demand everything.

I haven't seen the point in Sky for 10+years, but clearly plenty of people do.
May very well get rid of the hardware at some point however it'll mean losing customers with shite Internet connections. Also can you see sky / Disney dramatically cutting prices to match those of amazon and Netflix?

May very well get rid of the hardware at some point however it'll mean losing customers with shite Internet connections. Also can you see sky / Disney dramatically cutting prices to match those of amazon and Netflix?
I think the value proposition that Sky has is that live TV and exclusives are worth the extra money. But just like you, I TOTALLY don't get it. Live TV for me is background telly which I wouldn't miss if it didn't exist at all. Spots == Dodgey streams for me for a long time now.

I heard all Sky UHD will only be via the IP route shortly anyway. Owning satellites has got to be a vast expense. You have to wonder if its worth it for the 5% of customers who can't get at least 2mb internet - then just do adaptive rate streaming, like Amazon Prime does.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...h-the-dish-with-all-streaming-sky-q-from-2018
"SKY HAS announced that it's cord-cutting itself, with users able to take the service from next year without a satellite dish for the first time in its 29-year history*.
Sky Q will be able to offer a service from next year purely based on streaming as its sister service Now TV currently offers at a more basic level."

I think the value proposition that Sky has is that live TV and exclusives are worth the extra money. But just like you, I TOTALLY don't get it. Live TV for me is background telly which I wouldn't miss if it didn't exist at all. Spots == Dodgey streams for me for a long time now.

I heard all Sky UHD will only be via the IP route shortly anyway. Owning satellites has got to be a vast expense. You have to wonder if its worth it for the 5% of customers who can't get at least 2mb internet - then just do adaptive rate streaming, like Amazon Prime does.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...h-the-dish-with-all-streaming-sky-q-from-2018
"SKY HAS announced that it's cord-cutting itself, with users able to take the service from next year without a satellite dish for the first time in its 29-year history*.
Sky Q will be able to offer a service from next year purely based on streaming as its sister service Now TV currently offers at a more basic level."
Yeh I don't get the watching live tv thing apart from say the news or things like GOT nowadays. I tend not to even watch many programs even when I record them on a weekly basis and save them up and splurge a series or watch one episode of something then go and watch he rest online.
That's the great draw for Netflix and amazon for me, they don't fuck about much. Make a series and whack the whole thing on at once

Reactions: PTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back