Sky, Disney, Murdoch

Boz33

Striker
Well looks like the old twat is selling sky to Disney for gazillions of quid. Good move or a sign sky will get more pricey if Disney get heir mits on it?

Personally I think the old bastard has foreseen the demise of sky and is selling up for a massive price while he can with the likes of Netflix and prime getting better by the day and the footy and other sports being shown less and less on sky

Well looks like the old twat is selling sky to Disney for gazillions of quid. Good move or a sign sky will get more pricey if Disney get heir mits on it?

Personally I think the old bastard has foreseen the demise of sky and is selling up for a massive price while he can with the likes of Netflix and prime getting better by the day and the footy and other sports being shown less and less on sky
daft owld bugger must think he can take it with him:lol:;)

daft owld bugger must think he can take it with him:lol:;)
Heard on the radio today it could be something like 40 billion if he does sell:eek:
Not even sure what sky has to offer that's good apart from maybe sky Atlantic

Isn't he mostly selling Fox (the media thing, not the dogalike or former Newcastle winger)?
I heard on the wireless it was fox and his 39% of sky. Either way he's gotta be knocking on 90 unless they freeze the old fucker he can't have long left

Heard on the radio today it could be something like 40 billion if he does sell:eek:
Not even sure what sky has to offer that's good apart from maybe sky Atlantic

I heard on the wireless it was fox and his 39% of sky. Either way he's gotta be knocking on 90 unless they freeze the old fucker he can't have long left

The price is the price. It doesn't exactly matter what you or I consider to be value as what Disney are buying is something they will use to further other areas of their business. It's not like they ae buying it to simply keep it status quo and enjoy a return on their investment that way. There will be other motives.

As for his age, yes, he's nearly dead. But he has a good business brain and he's continuing to conduct 'good' business. The prospect of his death is largely irrelevant in the sale.

The price is the price. It doesn't exactly matter what you or I consider to be value as what Disney are buying is something they will use to further other areas of their business. It's not like they ae buying it to simply keep it status quo and enjoy a return on their investment that way. There will be other motives.

As for his age, yes, he's nearly dead. But he has a good business brain and he's continuing to conduct 'good' business. The prospect of his death is largely irrelevant in the sale.
Not all that sure there is that much more to squeeze from the business especially sky.
Even looking on here, the amount of people that have ditched it and went the streaming/Netflix/prime route is surely a sign of things to come.
Also losing a lot of the footy and cricket makes sky sports not as attractive as it used to be

Not all that sure there is that much more to squeeze from the business especially sky.
Even looking on here, the amount of people that have ditched it and went the streaming/Netflix/prime route is surely a sign of things to come.
Also losing a lot of the footy and cricket makes sky sports not as attractive as it used to be

I agree, Sky in its current format is loosing it's market share.

I've also read, just this week, that the likes of Amazon and Google only make hardware such as the Echo and Home as a means to sell their other income streams.

My point being, if they have made the decision to invest such a vast amount, they won't be doing so with the plan of not changing it.

I agree, Sky in its current format is loosing it's market share.

I've also read, just this week, that the likes of Amazon and Google only make hardware such as the Echo and Home as a means to sell their other income streams.

My point being, if they have made the decision to invest such a vast amount, they won't be doing so with the plan of not changing it.
People are a lot more savvy price wise nowadays, not sure how sky could ever hope to price match the likes of Netflix and prime bearing in mind the amount they have to pay for the premier league packages they have.
Also the younger generation are a lot more savvy at getting streams and the like for free so they'll be a hard sell in the future for anything expensive.
Netflix and prime have the worldwide audience to raise revenue so maybe that's a possible sky route, but they don't own the overseas football rights so they won't be able to use that as a selling point

People are a lot more savvy price wise nowadays, not sure how sky could ever hope to price match the likes of Netflix and prime bearing in mind the amount they have to pay for the premier league packages they have.
Also the younger generation are a lot more savvy at getting streams and the like for free so they'll be a hard sell in the future for anything expensive.
Netflix and prime have the worldwide audience to raise revenue so maybe that's a possible sky route, but they don't own the overseas football rights so they won't be able to use that as a selling point

I get that. They've bought a platform. One that exists, with a customer base and existing infrastructure. I'd be amazed if the don't initiate significant change.

I get that. They've bought a platform. One that exists, with a customer base and existing infrastructure. I'd be amazed if the don't initiate significant change.
No doubt they will change, but let's be honest raising prices will drive yet more away. Even now if people aren't getting whacking discounts they blow sky off and stream the footy or just don't bother watching it, and lowering them leaves them in a hole because of the whacking amount they pay for the football alone

No doubt they will change, but let's be honest raising prices will drive yet more away. Even now if people aren't getting whacking discounts they blow sky off and stream the footy or just don't bother watching it, and lowering them leaves them in a hole because of the whacking amount they pay for the football alone

I can't comment on the possibility that Disney have any motivation to continue to invest in the football side of the business. But I do see potential for them in other areas.

Forward thinking means the reduced income from contracts/ subscription will need to be replaced. Many businesses nowadays rely upon free product and supplemental advertisement revenues.

If you consider where Sky was ten to fifteen years ago and where they are now, their business model needs to adapt.

I can't imagine Disney have took this decision lightly.

I can't comment on the possibility that Disney have any motivation to continue to invest in the football side of the business. But I do see potential for them in other areas.

Forward thinking means the reduced income from contracts/ subscription will need to be replaced. Many businesses nowadays rely upon free product and supplemental advertisement revenues.

If you consider where Sky was ten to fifteen years ago and where they are now, their business model needs to adapt.

Sky has starting this month. They are offering pure broadband / iptv subs. With the fibre and now tv bundles\ subscriptions.

Won’t be long before the dish is dead.

No idea although massively bad decisions have been made by companies before.
If Disney did say drop the football, the people who subscribe to sky purely for the football would migrate with it along with the revenue they pump in.
I can't actually think of much that I even watch on sky except Atlantic tbh and most of those program's are just bought in, whereas Netflix and amazon seem to be far further ahead in creating tv program's and indeed movies with customer bases to match, I'm sure I read somewhere Netflix had about 400m users and no need for any hardware either, streamed straight to the tv over the net

No idea although massively bad decisions have been made by companies before.
If Disney did say drop the football, the people who subscribe to sky purely for the football would migrate with it along with the revenue they pump in.
I can't actually think of much that I even watch on sky except Atlantic tbh and most of those program's are just bought in, whereas Netflix and amazon seem to be far further ahead in creating tv program's and indeed movies with customer bases to match, I'm sure I read somewhere Netflix had about 400m users and no need for any hardware either, streamed straight to the tv over the net

Netflix is vendor free. They just supply the app for anybody. It’s up to hardware vendors to want them and support them. Some do better jobs than others.

I think the only device Netflix isn’t on is nowtv for obvious reasons.

Back