Since the play offs...

It was close last season, but that was on no small part due to having Maja for the first half of the season. After he left we struggled and were relying on the keeper and McGeady. On form from when Maja left onwards we would be just scraping into the play offs.

We knew we needed a fair bit of work if we are to get near to the target set clearly by the owners, especially given the way we tailed off as the season progressed. Instead, thus far (and accept there's still time) we've done minor tweaking and haven't made significant improvements either to midfield or attack.

Of course some go over the top with their moaning and look to pick fault at everything the club does, but the vast majority who are complaining are genuine fans who are concerned, with good reason. It is absolutely vital that we go up this season coming, there's no reason why this club shouldn't be capable of comfortably gaining promotion with 2 seasons of having by far the highest budget. Ultimately we failed last season and until signs are there that things have changed for the better and we look likely to go up, some people will have concerns and will voice them on what is meant to be a place for fans to discuss things. The fans have backed the new owners, the manager and the team in great numbers since they arrived, the best way now for them to get rid of the negativity is to start performing when the season starts and prove to us all that there's nothing to worry about. Blind faith only gets you so far
i agree with pretty much all you've said there, the main problem is only the few (although they are usually the loudest) that are so hoping we fail miserably so the can say " i told you so". Blind faith i dont have, and certainly as i have said previously i am concerned that maybe we dont have enough. only time will give us those answers. the few signings made so far, ive actually been very impressed with. Do we need more ? probably. Do i think we have enough to finish top 2 now, again probably. But we need to be on the front foot, and i suppose that falls at Ross's door.

So we have to take positives out of a friendly but arnt allowed any negatives? Bit of a contradiction there mind. What people are worried about is the team was lacking pace and creativity and so far that’s very evident in preseason.

The team was and still is lacking pace & creativity.

Don't see that this has been addressed yet

i agree with pretty much all you've said there, the main problem is only the few (although they are usually the loudest) that are so hoping we fail miserably so the can say " i told you so". Blind faith i dont have, and certainly as i have said previously i am concerned that maybe we dont have enough. only time will give us those answers. the few signings made so far, ive actually been very impressed with. Do we need more ? probably. Do i think we have enough to finish top 2 now, again probably. But we need to be on the front foot, and i suppose that falls at Ross's door.

Fair points. Absolutely agree about those who seem to actively want us to fail, but aye, in amongst that there's also a lot of genuine fans who are just anxious going into what is a huge season.

Fair points. Absolutely agree about those who seem to actively want us to fail, but aye, in amongst that there's also a lot of genuine fans who are just anxious going into what is a huge season.
oh aye spot i agree. Most of us are concerned but would love for those concerns to be proven unfounded. I just think what we have seen on here the last 6 weeks or so is people using the platform to have a pop. Whether that is players, owners, lack of money thrown around etc etc. Criticism is one thing we expect, however i think its gone 1 step beyond. Takes its toll i guess.

The team was and still is lacking pace & creativity.

Don't see that this has been addressed yet
aye not fully, but do you not feel they has started ? Willis is fairly quick. Watmore (i know i know) is showing pace. Embleton has potential on the creative side after watching the last few games (still early there). Granted we need more, but have we not started ?

Last edited:
This place has been nothing but a cesspit of twist and moaning. Yes we failed last season in not getting promotion, but let's face it, it was close. If you had asked me this time last year, play offs would have been the best I would have expected after the years that preceded.

I think in the first few pre season games we have done ...ok. yesterday playing a team from the Portuguese top flight and really were the better team for the majority. Take some positives man. Let's just see where we are after a few games eh?

Rant owa

It's the EXACT same posters every year man. :rolleyes:

There's an argument the twisty fuckers are right considering we've failed miserably three seasons in a row now, it's just odd taking so much enjoyment from that.

Who actively wants us to fail? Just because people question things and don't go along with the Church of CharlieDon dogma doesn't mean they want the team to fail.

It's the EXACT same posters every year man. :rolleyes:
aye you're right there mind

Who actively wants us to fail? Just because people question things and don't go along with the Church of CharlieDon dogma doesn't mean they want the team to fail.
a canny few, you only have to spend 10 minutes reading this place. There is questioning, which i expect of us all, then just twisting regardless of the direction we travel.

Last edited:
'Sunderland are not so good they can just play their way and let the opposition worry about it but 3-4-2-1 has some advantages if they can get to grips with it,' writes @sturayner #safc

Imagine spending more than a whole league combined and still have the other teams dictate the game...

'Sunderland are not so good they can just play their way and let the opposition worry about it but 3-4-2-1 has some advantages if they can get to grips with it,' writes @sturayner #safc

Imagine spending more than a whole league combined and still have the other teams dictate the game...
that was the sad truth of a lot of last season. take the lead n drop 20 yards and hope for the best. There were a few games early on where we dominated games, then just stopped for whatever reason. Id love us to really have a go at teams, alas i dont hold out to much hope. Love to be proved wrong starting 3rd August.

They wont listen.. they are grumpy, moaning fannies. They cant wait for us to lose a few.

You and your like answer your own question saying stuff like that.

We don't moan for no reason. We moan because we generally have something to moan about. Namely the very things we see week in week out for 10 months. That being us losing - which we don't need to wait to see. We know the next one is due right after the last. It's like buses our losing.

Last edited:

Ross just hadn't a scooby about setting up to strengths. He invites pressure from the off.

We don't moan for no reason. We moan because we generally have something to moan about. Namely the very things we see week in week out for 10 months. That being us losing - which we don't need to wait to see. We know the next one is due right after the last. It's like buses our losing.

Yeah cos we lost loads last season. Grow up man.

It is possible to be critical of people without twisting and moaning. We were told by our owner that everybody needed to be held accountable, including him.

When people say, let's just wait till a couple of games, I think it shows a misunderstanding of the clubs future. The season is dictated by the work done now, not when we lose a playoff game. The future of the club is dictated by strategies put in place now, not if we go up or don't.

I have given Ross some stick.. but the more I see of Grigg and Wyke.. they have to be the worst two strikers in our history.. or up there with them.. we won't win enough games with them in the team.. both absoloutly dreadful..

Was last season your first season?

Numerous threads on here about our hopeless strikers. Grigg and Wyke wouldn't even be on the first page.

Can't wait for us to concede within the first 15 mins against Oxford and some of the crowd turn on the manager and players. Gonna be class. :rolleyes:

Give over man, you're a serial miserablist. We could be top of the league after 10 games and you'd still be moaning like fuck.

Last edited:

Back