Simpler time

It had its compensations. Any day you weren't atomised by the Russians was a bonus. Your dad had work unless he was a real scatter. Your mam probably had better footwork than they have today and could ride a well deserved punch..The only peados that were about hung around furtively and wore long macks, they were easy to dodge and never your scout master or vicar. You could play out from dawn to dusk in summer holidays and of course there was no rain then.
Homosexuality hadn't been invented so you didn't have awkward choices to make and of course you always had the knowledge you were white to fall back on so you were at least one up on all the savages and wallahs.
So yes I will sacrifice my doritos willingly..;)
:) and everybody whore white Y fronts then.

You had an amazing Chippy around the corner from Greggs on The Green. Now it has been took over and will be shite compared to the nosh the previous owners knocked out. The taste of the batter was to die for!:p It went all down hill(Not Downhill, the place imo) after that now for Suddick, I'm afraid! Sad loss indeed.

We were just talking the other day about how everything was delivered to your door in the 60’s. In a typical week down our street we had;

Ringtons Tea (still going)
Fentimans pop wagon
The coal man
The grocery van (Co-op I think)
The bakers van (Willis’s)
The greengrocers (Tommy Raw)
The Prudential insurance man
The Vernons pools man
The Calor Gas man
The scrap man
Valwins, mr Whippy and Mr Softy (summer only)

Thank you for that - definitely laughed out loud.

Certainly interesting in some of the responses on here - god grim etc - when you know no different it wasn't I assure you. Lived great lives, not least playing out all day in the holidays and only returning when a parent stood on the doorstep and shouted your name to get in.
Aye, to experience the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Beach boys, Motown and to many more to mention, fresh for the first time ever, pop radio, (there was none before) The moon landings, great fashion and a total shift in culture that lasted well into the late 70's , along with many more things we take for granted now, made those times anything but grim, they were the most exciting times I've ever experienced, other than the technoligy we have now, the rest of day to day life seems dull and dreary in comparison.

Aye, to experience the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Beach boys, Motown and to many more to mention, fresh for the first time ever, pop radio, (there was none before) The moon landings, great fashion and a total shift in culture that lasted well into the late 70's , along with many more things we take for granted now, made those times anything but grim, they were the most exciting times I've ever experienced, other than the technoligy we have now, the rest of day to day life seems dull and dreary in comparison.

Reminded me of sitting in the front room of a neighbour who actually had a tv, watching the moon landings. Thinking of world changes since then, I watched 9/11 unravel and perhaps the death of Di and the aftermath with societal grief, cant think of many more that have captured the country like the moon landings.

Reminded me of sitting in the front room of a neighbour who actually had a tv, watching the moon landings. Thinking of world changes since then, I watched 9/11 unravel and perhaps the death of Di and the aftermath with societal grief, cant think of many more that have captured the country like the moon landings.
I remember everyone watching all the world heavyweight fights and the talk the next day about them at work, I wonder what percentage watch them now?

Back