Simpler time

Off twat book but all true..

If you love food but were a child of the 60’s you should remember most of this;
* Pasta had not been invented. * "Kebab" was not even a word, never mind a food. * Curry was an unknown entity. Indian restaurants were only found in India. * The only vegetables were spuds, peas, carrots, turnip, cauliflower and cabbage. Mange tout and Pak choi were made up words. Chilli was in South America and scotch bonnets were worn by old ladies in Aberdeen.* A take-away was a mathematical problem. * A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.* Oil was for lubricating your bike chain not for cooking.* Olive oil was kept in the medicine cabinet.*Spice went in Christmas cakes (and so did peel, Yuk).* Herbs were used to make medicine I think.* All crisps were plain.* All soft drinks were called pop. * Coke was something that we put on the fire, we never drunk it and we certainly didn’t sniff it. * Ginger beer burnt your lips off, when you stopped drinking. * Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner. * A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining. * A microwave was science fiction * Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves. The tea-cosy was the forerunner of all energy saving devices. Tea had only one flavour, it was tea flavoured * Figs and dates appeared every Christmas, but no one ever ate them. * Coconuts only appeared when the fair came to town. * Mayonnaise was called Salad cream* Hors d'oeuvre was a spelling mistake. * Dinner consisted of what we were given, and not negotiable. * Only Heinz made baked beans.* Leftovers went in the dog. * Sauce was either brown or red. * Eating raw fish was called madness, not sushi. * The only ready meals came from the fish and chip shop. * Frozen food was called ice cream. * Nothing ever went off in the fridge because we never had one. * None of us had ever heard of yoghurt. * Brunch was not a meal. * Cheese only ever came in a hard lump.
* If we had eaten bacon, lettuce and tomato in the same sandwich we would have been certified insane. * Eating outside was called a picnic not Al Fresco. * Seaweed was not a recognised food. * Eggs were not called ‘free range’ they just were, and the shells were white. * Pancakes were only eaten on Pancake Tuesday - it was compulsory. * The phrase "boil in the bag" would have been beyond our realms of comprehension. * The term "oven chips" would not have made any sense at all. * We bought milk and cream at the same time, in the same bottle, before you gave it a shake.* Prunes were purely medicinal. * Pineapples only came in chunks in a tin.* We didn't eat Croissants because we couldn't pronounce them, we couldn't spell them, and we didn't know what they were. * for Baguettes (see Croissants). * Garlic was used to ward off vampires in films, but never to be eaten. * Water came out of the tap; if someone had suggested bottling it and charging for it
they would have been locked up.

In terms of food that sounds absolutley grim to me :lol:

It had its compensations. Any day you weren't atomised by the Russians was a bonus. Your dad had work unless he was a real scatter. Your mam probably had better footwork than they have today and could ride a well deserved punch..The only peados that were about hung around furtively and wore long macks, they were easy to dodge and never your scout master or vicar. You could play out from dawn to dusk in summer holidays and of course there was no rain then.
Homosexuality hadn't been invented so you didn't have awkward choices to make and of course you always had the knowledge you were white to fall back on so you were at least one up on all the savages and wallahs.
So yes I will sacrifice my doritos willingly..;)

Thank you for that - definitely laughed out loud.

Certainly interesting in some of the responses on here - god grim etc - when you know no different it wasn't I assure you. Lived great lives, not least playing out all day in the holidays and only returning when a parent stood on the doorstep and shouted your name to get in.

Last edited:
When take away beer (carry out ) was usaally bought from the side window at the pub in bottles, even served kids as long as you said it was for ya dad. When cans came fashion you had to carry a pointy ended bottle opener( nee ring pull then ) the cool lads had one clipped on their belt.

Thank you for that - definitely laughed out loud.

Certainly interesting in some of the responses on here - god grim etc - when you know no different it wasn't I assure you. Lived great lives, not least playing out all day in the holidays and only returning when a parent stood on the doorstep and shouted your name to get in.
Spot on, we didn't know any different back then. As kids we played out all day during school holidays, summer time seemed to last forever and we were able to make our own entertainment. Making camps and dens, jam sarnies and sharing a pop bottle full of water, the last to drink getting all the floating bread crumbs :D Looking back we didn't have much but what we had we made the most of, no meals were ever missed and nothing was refused, it was a case of eat it or do without, there's nowt else. I was a raggy arsed council estate kid but I wasn't any different from all the other kids at the time. Those that had their own houses usually had orchards which we frequently raided and where there's now vast estates of private houses there was open fields that we played in. Searching on bog land for newts and frogs and frog spawn, climbing up trees to reach birds nests for eggs. I would go back to those days in a heartbeat, those carefree days without any grown-up worries seem so long ago.

Spot on, we didn't know any different back then. As kids we played out all day during school holidays, summer time seemed to last forever and we were able to make our own entertainment. Making camps and dens, jam sarnies and sharing a pop bottle full of water, the last to drink getting all the floating bread crumbs :D Looking back we didn't have much but what we had we made the most of, no meals were ever missed and nothing was refused, it was a case of eat it or do without, there's nowt else. I was a raggy arsed council estate kid but I wasn't any different from all the other kids at the time. Those that had their own houses usually had orchards which we frequently raided and where there's now vast estates of private houses there was open fields that we played in. Searching on bog land for newts and frogs and frog spawn, climbing up trees to reach birds nests for eggs. I would go back to those days in a heartbeat, those carefree days without any grown-up worries seem so long ago.
Aye, this was my life anarl.:D

Back