Signings which pleasantly surprised you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillips. I remember listening to a game on the radio not long after we signed him -

Gatsey: "He had a shot, it didn't work out but he'll get another chance"
Me: "Why can't we ever f***ing sign someone half decent!"
😳😆

Paul Butler
Kevin Phillips
Jody Craddock
Tommy Sorenson
Eric Roy
Jermaine Defoe

All of these surprised me, Defoe probably more than any. Thought he was done and just coming for a final pay day.

Phillips. I remember listening to a game on the radio not long after we signed him -

Gatsey: "He had a shot, it didn't work out but he'll get another chance"
Me: "Why can't we ever f***ing sign someone half decent!"
😳😆

i dont know why, but i always remember an angry fan on local radio saying phillips was not the answer, the radio guy asked who was and ths caller paused before saying "devlin"
Paul Butler
Kevin Phillips
Jody Craddock
Tommy Sorenson
Eric Roy
Jermaine Defoe

tommy, mhyre and poom all great keepers

All of these surprised me, Defoe probably more than any. Thought he was done and just coming for a final pay day.

Last edited:
Darren ward Dean whitehead Liam Lawrence Steven elliott Danny Collins il always hold in high regards, in fact that mick mack promotion side I do yes they got relegated with 15 points but that was through no lack of effort

Whitehead, Lawrence, elliot, Collins etc..

Going down and fire selling Phillip's and Sorenson to be replaced by frees from oxford and Shrewsbury. Turns out they were amazing signings given the finances available.
For all our other faults during that era we had a fairly decent spell with our lower league scouting during that time. We didn’t pick up any World beaters but managed to pick up a handful solid lower-mid-table PL players from League 1/2 for peanuts. Whitehead and Collins went on to be key players under Keane and Lawrence did well for Stoke after Keane bombed him out.

It was our scouting/signing of PL/Championship/overseas players that was horrendous in the Mick Mac era.

Last edited:
Chris Waddle. Made a big difference in a short time, which I didn't think he would given his age (36 I think) and that he was playing for Bradford and we were PL. Had we signed him a month or so earlier than we did, we'd almost certainly have stayed up that year.

Paul Butler
Kevin Phillips
Jody Craddock
Tommy Sorenson
Eric Roy
Jermaine Defoe

Paul Butler is a good shout, signed from Bury for £1M and his debut was OK at best, turned out to be a very decent centre back, definitely an important cog in the promotion team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back