Signings which pleasantly surprised you

Quinn definitely. Thought he was a useless plank when we signed him. Jesus how wrong... on the pitch he was brilliant but off it aswell man.
Phillips also. I remember that season we signed a few players. Clark I was really happy about. All my mag mates were gutted as they loved him. But players like Phillips and byrne and makin I’d never really heard of. I remember the Ajax game and all these little bald blokes running about looking the same and not knowing who was who 😂 but at the same time thinking they all look canny footballers

Last edited:
big alf was becoming a solid player before di canio ditched him and shit for brains poyet thought rodwell and bridcutt would be worth spending 15m on instead

Whitehead, Lawrence, elliot, Collins etc..

Going down and fire selling Phillip's and Sorenson to be replaced by frees from oxford and Shrewsbury. Turns out they were amazing signings given the finances available.

Whitehead, Lawrence, elliot, Collins etc..

Going down and fire selling Phillip's and Sorenson to be replaced by frees from oxford and Shrewsbury. Turns out they were amazing signings given the finances available.

they were tremendous value

whitehead was a limited battler but had the odd goal in him and was as good as colback, gardner, cattermole, vaughan and all the other typically plodding sunderland centre mids during the prem spell who were on big money.
all grafters who did their best, but always frustrated me that we never got betterability when we moved to 'next level' players

lawrence was just a touch slow, but did a good job for stoke

they were tremendous value

whitehead was a limited battler but had the odd goal in him and was as good as colback, gardner, cattermole, vaughan and all the other typically plodding sunderland centre mids during the prem spell who were on big money.
all grafters who did their best, but always frustrated me that we never got betterability when we moved to 'next level' players

lawrence was just a touch slow, but did a good job for stoke

I think its constantly underestimated what a job McCarthy did with transfers in the championship. He did an unreal job that was unfortunately tainted by the premiership transfers. We could have been in trouble had it not been for him.

McCann. Looked out of his depth on the wing when he first arrived.
Summerbee. Very mediocre when I’d seen him previously.
Quinn. I thought he was finished tbh.

Quinn was the most underrated 'big man up front' for 2 or 3 seasons when he played for us. that technic of chesting it down, as it floated over the defender (Sol Campbell comes to mind), then volley it in.
then of course his superb header against the mags at Sid James Park.

Loved Quinn me. Although didn't 'surprise' me as such. I was pleased when we signed him, I thought it was a good move by Reid.

I think its constantly underestimated what a job McCarthy did with transfers in the championship. He did an unreal job that was unfortunately tainted by the premiership transfers. We could have been in trouble had it not been for him.

yeah he did well, then his prem signings were insane

Back