Signed off with Stress/Depression

I fully get that. Having 1/4 of your grafters off sick if you employ a small number could break some firms.
I'm sure it could. Suppose the way I would look at it is if through some small changes and support we can help keep someone at work grafting then it's worth the effort. Of course it's not that simple , not all difficulties are work related or work exacerbated.

Don't think they can mate as stress/depression is classed as a disability which they can't discriminate against. To be honest most of references are just bog standard...I.e so and so worked here from....until....

I'm in the same boat at the moment but have applied for lots of jobs just havnt got 1 yet. Hope all goes well for you mate

Can’t legally and don’t are two different things. An employer will likely be very wary of taking someone on if they think there’s a chance they will end up being off for months.

Can’t legally and don’t are two different things. An employer will likely be very wary of taking someone on if they think there’s a chance they will end up being off for months.
Got to agree . As sympathetic as people are appointing managers know the bother it causes them directly to have to cover sick.
Whether it's a bad back or depression neither can be helped but they don't shout confidence. Human nature says Mr/ms reliable has an advantage.

Ive been signed off with Work Related stress and depression for 3 months now as the pressure within the job got too much and it began to affect my working ability and personal life.

In the last few days I’ve had a job offer given to me by a company I’ve attempted to get into for years and finally I was offered a role within the company of which i feel is right up my street and plus the hours are better and the money is also better, so I’ve sent my notice in and stated for the benefit of my health that I don’t return to work.

My only worry is that my time signed off sick may come back and bite me when my new employer finds out about it, I’ve stated on my health questionnaire that I have suffered with depression but I’m sure my current company will inform them during the reference stage. My question is can it affect future opportunities having been signed off for a period of time?
This has happened to me. I basically lost it with my manager on Thursday and spent all day Friday getting my campervan through it's mot instead of being at work. I'm now on the fuckin Isle of Arran with nowt to eat, loads to drink and haven't got a clue when I'll go back.

This has happened to me. I basically lost it with my manager on Thursday and spent all day Friday getting my campervan through it's mot instead of being at work. I'm now on the fuckin Isle of Arran with nowt to eat, loads to drink and haven't got a clue when I'll go back.

The cause sounds shite, but must be class sitting thinking dinnar when I'm going back. Enjoy the freedom marra (but remember to eat). Remember a huge weight lifted years back when I did similar.

Hope you're ok. Try to eat something x
I'll be ok. It's depression but I know how to handle it.
My Manager said take off days as sick, told him no and I'll take them as holidays. They're shitting themselves as they know the pressure they've put me under. Fuck them.

Last edited:
Ive been signed off with Work Related stress and depression for 3 months now as the pressure within the job got too much and it began to affect my working ability and personal life.

In the last few days I’ve had a job offer given to me by a company I’ve attempted to get into for years and finally I was offered a role within the company of which i feel is right up my street and plus the hours are better and the money is also better, so I’ve sent my notice in and stated for the benefit of my health that I don’t return to work.

My only worry is that my time signed off sick may come back and bite me when my new employer finds out about it, I’ve stated on my health questionnaire that I have suffered with depression but I’m sure my current company will inform them during the reference stage. My question is can it affect future opportunities having been signed off for a period of time?
Sounds like you have addressed the cause of your stress and have found a job that will hopefully be better for your health. Good luck

Most places ive been to the process was to look at sickness/references post job offer to prevent it being used against people wrongly. When I was in the civil service you just had to state if you were currently under any review in relation to sickness/attendance.

Last edited:

Good luck marra -stay safe

Take it easy fella.
Don't forget the stock up on grub when you get the chance

Back