Signed off with Stress/Depression

Headingley Slog Fest

Central Defender
Ive been signed off with Work Related stress and depression for 3 months now as the pressure within the job got too much and it began to affect my working ability and personal life.

In the last few days I’ve had a job offer given to me by a company I’ve attempted to get into for years and finally I was offered a role within the company of which i feel is right up my street and plus the hours are better and the money is also better, so I’ve sent my notice in and stated for the benefit of my health that I don’t return to work.

My only worry is that my time signed off sick may come back and bite me when my new employer finds out about it, I’ve stated on my health questionnaire that I have suffered with depression but I’m sure my current company will inform them during the reference stage. My question is can it affect future opportunities having been signed off for a period of time?

Ive been signed off with Work Related stress and depression for 3 months now as the pressure within the job got too much and it began to affect my working ability and personal life.

In the last few days I’ve had a job offer given to me by a company I’ve attempted to get into for years and finally I was offered a role within the company of which i feel is right up my street and plus the hours are better and the money is also better, so I’ve sent my notice in and stated for the benefit of my health that I don’t return to work.

My only worry is that my time signed off sick may come back and bite me when my new employer finds out about it, I’ve stated on my health questionnaire that I have suffered with depression but I’m sure my current company will inform them during the reference stage. My question is can it affect future opportunities having been signed off for a period of time?
Don't think they can mate as stress/depression is classed as a disability which they can't discriminate against. To be honest most of references are just bog standard...I.e so and so worked here from....until....

I'm in the same boat at the moment but have applied for lots of jobs just havnt got 1 yet. Hope all goes well for you mate

Your new employer may not (in the strictest sense legally ask. Your old employer should not tell.

Mental Health issues may relate to a disability. An employer may be indirectly discriminating if they ask pre employment health questions except if they are relevant to the job. You have disclosed and I’m assuming you’ll advise if medication is an issue.

Forget about it mate. Employers are so scared of prosecution for supplying dodgy references most of them will only confirm your job title and employment dates. They won’t disclose anything else.

Best of luck marra .

I'm in Sales/Account management an sometimes have really felt the pressure. To be honest if I was going to move into another high-pressure role I know that if I'd taken time off for stress and they found out it wouldn't be looked at favourably.
Is the new role the same line of work?

I remember when I first spoke out of my depression about 10yrs ago my then boss threatened me with the sack if I took time off sick because of it. I struggled on going in and making my life a complete misery but the worry of being sacked made it worse. What a fuckin arsehole he was. I'm so pleased times and opinions on mental health have changed.

I remember when I first spoke out of my depression about 10yrs ago my then boss threatened me with the sack if I took time off sick because of it. I struggled on going in and making my life a complete misery but the worry of being sacked made it worse. What a fuckin arsehole he was. I'm so pleased times and opinions on mental health have changed.
Same here, progress is being made but there is still more work to be done to educate and break down stigma, discrimination and negative attitudes towards those who suffer from mental health problems.

They can’t, they can report on attendance but not reasons.

You haven’t been off for the three months so you should be ok.

Same here, progress is being made but there is still more work to be done to educate and break down stigma, discrimination and negative attitudes towards those who suffer from mental health problems.
Totally agree. Even now after I've been so open about mine on here and to my mates and family I still get a bit embarrassed mentioning it when face to face with someone. I don't know why, I think part of me thinks they're thinking 'what the fucks he got to be depressed about whereas it's really not as simple as that. In truth I have nothing to be depressed about but I wish someone would drum it into my head :lol:

Totally agree. Even now after I've been so open about mine on here and to my mates and family I still get a bit embarrassed mentioning it when face to face with someone. I don't know why, I think part of me thinks they're thinking 'what the fucks he got to be depressed about whereas it's really not as simple as that. In truth I have nothing to be depressed about but I wish someone would drum it into my head :lol:
That's where the education comes in and people get a better understanding.

Does my poetry on here, help you see the wonder of love and life?:lol:

I'm in Sales/Account management an sometimes have really felt the pressure. To be honest if I was going to move into another high-pressure role I know that if I'd taken time off for stress and they found out it wouldn't be looked at favourably.
Is the new role the same line of work?
No mate, traineeship within a Steel fabricator, complete new role and something I’ve never done before

No mate, traineeship within a Steel fabricator, complete new role and something I’ve never done before

Well I think you should be ok, good luck with the career change.
If you're not going to a competitor your current employer should be fine about you leaving - in fact they'll be pleased to get you off the payroll as absences for stress can be quite lengthy.

Well I think you should be ok, good luck with the career change.
If you're not going to a competitor your current employer should be fine about you leaving - in fact they'll be pleased to get you off the payroll as absences for stress can be quite lengthy.
Aye I was just worried it will come back to haunt me and my new employer got their backs up about it and withdrew my offer. I’ve been signed off since late August as the role got on top of me and the role seriously wasn’t for me however I feel this role is more suited for me. (No working alone, constant teamwork, people I know very well working with me).

I fully back up the opinions on here about mental health, I feel it’s a good place to come on here and talk to other people with a bit of secrecy about who you are, I find it better than any counselling as you are talking to fellow sufferers and people who have experience in situations your going through.

Back