Shut the supermarkets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I'm cutting and pasting their figures with an enhancement to show the percentage of cases in each age group. I also followed up to make the comment that I'm surprised the spread by age group has not changed that much since September, except the 2 to year 6 cases shifting up a level to the year 7 to 11 age groups.

Not sure what else to comment. Is there a point you are trying to make?
I'll repeat ONS's own words:
Let this data end their confusion. Schools are clearly driving infection amongst children, and then onto the wider community

If you're using regular PCR data for your post, then that's the problem. Asymtomatic kids are not taking tests. You have to use the specific survey data and extrapolate.

Last edited:

I'll repeat ONS's own words:
Let this data end their confusion. Schools are clearly driving infection amongst children, and then onto the wider community

If you're using regular PCR data for your post, then that's the problem. Asymtomatic kids are not taking tests. You have to use the specific survey data and extrapolate.
Yes, kids get infected and school (the only place they mix for many), and can spread it at home. This is known.

Yes, kids get infected and school (the only place they mix for many), and can spread it at home. This is known.
Aye.
Sorry, my original post was to people who utterly rejected this idea a month or so ago. Telling me I was talking total shite and asking for evidence "or fuck off".

Aye.
Sorry, my original post was to people who utterly rejected this idea a month or so ago. Telling me I was talking total shite and asking for evidence "or fuck off".
According to Dr Julian Tang, consultant virologist at Leicester Royal Infirmary,

‘It’s true that primary school children don’t often get symptoms, so won’t get especially ill,’ he says. ‘And as they don’t get symptoms, they’re not super-spreaders of Covid, giving it to huge numbers of people, in the same way they do the flu, which does make kids ill.

^^^ i tried explaining this months ago but the SMB virologists knew better and pointed me to youtube :lol: @ivanthereasonable

According to Dr Julian Tang, consultant virologist at Leicester Royal Infirmary,

‘It’s true that primary school children don’t often get symptoms, so won’t get especially ill,’ he says. ‘And as they don’t get symptoms, they’re not super-spreaders of Covid, giving it to huge numbers of people, in the same way they do the flu, which does make kids ill.

^^^ i tried explaining this months ago but the SMB virologists knew better and pointed me to youtube :lol: @ivanthereasonable
There are a few sources saying that, like this one from the British Medical Journal:

Interesting that the survey posted above doesn't fit with the government surveillance reports. In the most recent ones, it is still the decades of 30s, 40s and 50s way ahead for kids and 20s. It is odd that the NHS has one set of statistics and the ONS has another, showing very different infection rates for kids compared to everyone else.

There are a few sources saying that, like this one from the British Medical Journal:

Interesting that the survey posted above doesn't fit with the government surveillance reports. In the most recent ones, it is still the decades of 30s, 40s and 50s way ahead for kids and 20s. It is odd that the NHS has one set of statistics and the ONS has another, showing very different infection rates for kids compared to everyone else.

may 2020. its the uk / sa thats more virulent in kids.

I noticed in Tesco at Fulwell this morning..the line of people going in..no one stopped to use the spray or hand sanitizers..seen the same at Asda Boldon last week anarl.

Got to be careful of the language though. They aren’t super spreaders but they can still spread the disease. Whilst it isn’t as easily done, you have to compensate this against peoples behaviours as well and lots of people act closer with kids than other adults. They’ll kiss and hug a kid whereas they wouldn’t necessarily with an adult, for instance. Same with playing with them etc., so whilst they don’t spread it as easily, there are more mechanisms typically available for the virus to spread, so somewhat swings and roundabouts

Got to be careful of the language though. They aren’t super spreaders but they can still spread the disease. Whilst it isn’t as easily done, you have to compensate this against peoples behaviours as well and lots of people act closer with kids than other adults. They’ll kiss and hug a kid whereas they wouldn’t necessarily with an adult, for instance. Same with playing with them etc., so whilst they don’t spread it as easily, there are more mechanisms typically available for the virus to spread, so somewhat swings and roundabouts
That is it. People seem to want to adopt positions of extremes. Kids (or swap for students, pubs, supermarkets, workplaces etc etc) are super spreaders and the root cause of the problems vs they don't spread at all. The reality is somewhere in the middle for all areas and all areas need to take precautions. When the virus has run as high as it has now, then you need to shutdown almost all areas except those that supply essentials like your basic food stuffs.

Though I went out for a short bike ride yesterday and noticed 3 sea front ice cream parlors open. I don't think everyone has the same idea of essential.

You've ssid lot of things, I hope you've noticed Proff Ferguson is now again rattling on about herd immunity being the way out, perhaps he's taken a look at Sweden and their so called, seasonal wave, totally collapse. Everything a few hardy folk predicted seems to be materialising 🤔 Even finding out the great bastion of NZ has had a program of Vitamin D enhancement in their care homes for ten years, the only western country that does this 🤔

You've ssid lot of things, I hope you've noticed Proff Ferguson is now again rattling on about herd immunity being the way out, perhaps he's taken a look at Sweden and their so called, seasonal wave, totally collapse. Everything a few hardy folk predicted seems to be materialising 🤔 Even finding out the great bastion of NZ has had a program of Vitamin D enhancement in their care homes for ten years, the only western country that does this 🤔

The herd immunity Neil Ferguson has mentioned is via the vaccine tbf.
It's also been suggested by one of the scientists that about a third of london has some level of immunity by now

I had to visit a supermarket yesterday for the first time in months for urgent medical supplies.

The hand sanitizer station had been moved out of the way of the store entrance meaning I had to look for it. Surely it should be positioned so that everyone has to pass it and use it?

I noticed in Tesco at Fulwell this morning..the line of people going in..no one stopped to use the spray or hand sanitizers..seen the same at Asda Boldon last week anarl.

Its a dilemma isnt it. I always approach them things and think how many hundreds of people have pressed that plunger and the sanitizer stuff when i`ve used it seems diluted as out, basically water. I just carry me own and smear it all over the trolley handle and my mits

As I mentioned before on here a few times when people get one thing shut they move on to something else to close. Now schools are closed. Supermarket, then what pharmacies? surprised no one has suggested closing hospitals. When we close one thing we just move infections to somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned before on here a few times when people get one thing shut they move on to something to close. Now schools are closed. Supermarket, then what pharmacies? surprised no one has suggested closing hospitals. When we close one thing we just move infections to somewhere else.

Must admit, I’ve noticed that recently as well. The next target seems to be takeaways

Must admit, I’ve noticed that recently as well. The next target seems to be takeaways
Yes they are in the firing line to be next along with coffee shops doing take outs. Any form of click and collect that isnt supermarkets. Mail order delivery and see a bit of anger at places like Greggs/sandwich shops. People seem to forget that keyworkers (like me)have to eat. Often see coppers and NHS staff popping in Greggs on Chester Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back