Shut the supermarkets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be right but all the article is saying is that 18% of people tested positive had been to a supermarket in the days leading up to their infection. It proves nothing.

Agreed by and large, it’s pretty useless data. I find it frustrating however that the same figures showed hospitality businesses with far less transmission than other locations - and yet they were made one of the pandemic’s pariahs.

Let’s be honest here, it’s mostly transmitting through home visits isn’t it regardless of where people have been previous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed by and large, it’s pretty useless data. I find it frustrating however that the same figures showed hospitality businesses with far less transmission than other locations - and yet they were made one of the pandemic’s pariahs.

Let’s be honest here, it’s mostly transmitting through home visits isn’t it regardless of where people have been previous.

Plus I would think workplaces and schools. Don't think there is one thing which can be demonised as being the biggest location of transmission, the majority of people have been pretty careful in my experience.

Plus I would think workplaces and schools. Don't think there is one thing which can be demonised as being the biggest location of transmission, the majority of people have been pretty careful in my experience.
This. I have been watching the stats for weeks now and not one place stands out as the root cause. People have their own agendas and will make statements like "It is obvious to all but the bias and blinkered", but the stats do not back up one single cause. Schools have contributed some, so have Universities. With both, some schools and Universities even in similar areas have had low numbers of cases while a neighbour has had very high. Country wide, each only contribute a bit. There has been evidence that pubs and restaurants have been the cause of some spreading and plenty of photos shared of places clearly not enforcing the rules, but they have only contributed a bit. Workplaces are fairly high, but nobody seems to be picking on those.

Bit by bit, they are all contributing together. As well as demonising one area, my concern is people are just saying "oh the spread is a pub/supermarket/school/student problem" and not taking responsibility themselves for the places they go. Everyone needs to be taking care.

Interesting point, though the age groups for high cases has recently been 20-29 year olds top, 30-39 year olds second and 10-19 year olds third. If schools were the major viral hotspot, surely the age group would be well ahead?
Yep ive been all over this fact. Something not quite right about it.
yes. Then blaming it on supermarkets because they havent got the bollocks to admit they havent been sticking to the rules.

Not surprised seeing as though hardly anyone sanitizes their hands before they go in anymore. And you still have plenty of folk not wearing masks properly. Need to go back to restrictions imposed when we went into lockdown in the first place. If folk have to queue in the rain, so be it.
If pubs can quickly erect a beer garden no reason why supermarkets can't do the same with a little shelter for a queue.

I’m against any more loss of education for kids personally.

We lose one Christmas piss up for the sake of the education of the youth is a happy trade off for me.
Thanks one way of looking at it.
But
Kids have years left in front of them. They CAN get education online if they really want it. However, those of us getting on a bit are never going to get this time back

"The second most common location reported by those who tested positive for COVID-19 were secondary schools, followed by primary schools "

How many parents actually go to the school themselves? Not many at secondary level I bet.
Its nonsense, the main driver right now is education. People need to stop pretending otherwise by coming up with stupid statistics like "where have YOU visited", rather than "What's the most likely place it came from".

I don't visit my kid's school anymore - but she does, and she could easily bring it home with her - but my trip to the shops will be the only thing on the "where have you been" list. Its nonsense.

And I still say we should keep schools open - although 2-3 week firebreaks at the holidays should be used.
Also, what bullshit is this:
  • Supermarket - 18.3%
  • Secondary school - 12.7%
  • Primary school - 10.1%
They've split schools into age groups so that "Education" isn't top the of list (college is another 2.4% to add on as well!). Do they split Supermarkets by size too?

Last edited:
"The second most common location reported by those who tested positive for COVID-19 were secondary schools, followed by primary schools "

How many parents actually go to the school themselves? Not many at secondary level I bet.
Its nonsense, the main driver right now is education. People need to stop pretending otherwise by coming up with stupid statistics like "where have YOU visited", rather than "What's the most likely place it came from".

I don't visit my kid's school anymore - but she does, and she could easily bring it home with her - but my trip to the shops will be the only thing on the "where have you been" list. Its nonsense.

And I still say we should keep schools open - although 2-3 week firebreaks at the holidays should be used.
Also, what bullshit is this:
  • Supermarket - 18.3%
  • Secondary school - 12.7%
  • Primary school - 10.1%
They've split schools into age groups so that "Education" isn't top the of list (college is another 2.4% to add on as well!). Do they split Supermarkets by size too?
"Lies. Damn lies. And statistics"

Reactions: PTR
Interesting point, though the age groups for high cases has recently been 20-29 year olds top, 30-39 year olds second and 10-19 year olds third. If schools were the major viral hotspot, surely the age group would be well ahead?

Asymptomatic in the main in schools so not tested, so they are spreading it to older age groups who are getting tests?

Asymptomatic in the main in schools so not tested, so they are spreading it to older age groups who are getting tests?
Perfectly possible, but there is no published evidence of that, it is only speculation. That can lead to the ignoring of other areas that does need better management or care.

Every person I know who’s confirmed to have had Covid (I know lots who are convinced they had it but couldn’t get a test) are certain they caught it at the supermarket.

That's about as stupid as having unprotected sex 100 times and saying yes it was jenny who gave me the clap the slag

Daft kernts

Every person I know who’s confirmed to have had Covid (I know lots who are convinced they had it but couldn’t get a test) are certain they caught it at the supermarket.
Those people who've been confirmed - how many have kids, or look after kids, or are in a bubble (legal or otherwise) where the other members have kids that are in some form of education?

Second question. Why didn't those who were "convinced" get a test? Is it because they're billy bullshitters by any chance, just like group 1 above?

Can you do me a favour, mate, and post the link to this. If not I'll come back to it tonight as I'm struggling for time at the moment. I'm not disputing anything you say at the moment, by the way, I'd just like to have a look at the data before typing something.

No!
Kids are the most asymptomic group. By and large, they don't even know they've had it - therefore very little testing.
But they are infectious, and that's how its being spread around.

This seems utterly obvious to me. Why is nobody getting this?

More people went to supermarkets in the days leading up to 2nd lockdown then went to the pub mind. Our local was lucky to get more than 20 people through the door after we went to tier 2. Supermarkets were getting that every 2 minutes

Not heard of any supermarkets where say they've not been able to open as there has been a huge amount of staff have gone done with covid 1 9 .....
That's because they're shady with actually telling other staff if someone has had it or not, I work in retail and this has happened a few times

Can you do me a favour, mate, and post the link to this. If not I'll come back to it tonight as I'm struggling for time at the moment. I'm not disputing anything you say at the moment, by the way, I'd just like to have a look at the data before typing something.
All the reports are published weekly at:

I was going from memory of the week 45 or 46 report. The latest week 47 report has the 4 age groups 20-59 significantly ahead of 10-19 year olds.

No!
Kids are the most asymptomic group. By and large, they don't even know they've had it - therefore very little testing.

I got it. Posted it earlier on 😂

No!

Because that is speculation and no evidence to back it up. Granted it will be playing a part, but to pin the blame on kids is crazy.

The reports I posted above used to contact the test and trace data. That showed confirmed transmission in many other areas when they did publish it regularly. Given the source on Sky has extracts from those reports, they must be somewhere different.

"This sounds right to me, it is obvious" is not a thing to make judgement on. The next person along might feel it is obvious to them for a different reason.

They need to get back to how it was before. More social distancing, limited capacity, and one way systems. It worked well but since the mask rule was brought in, supermarkets are wacky races.
I get the impression that since the mask some people think social distancing doesn’t matter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back