Should we stick with MD till end of season?

Thought it was a rediculous decision, but its been made, to change it again would be further indication of chaos reigning.

Hope so. Can't imagine anyone good, especially if they've got a job, would want to join a club this late in the season. And if they did, it would be annoying if they didn't have time to do much, results didn't instantly turn, and they went into next season with some starting to question them already. We know this seasons fucked. I'm quite looking forward to having the blind optimism at the start of a new season with a new manager, some new players etc. Should be canny, at least for a while!

NO !!!!!
We need someone sooner so he can assess what we need for nxt year. If Dodds stays it will just be a fuck you by the owners so they don’t have to spend anything whilst selling Clarke, Ballard and Neil.

There was no point in Speakman etc coming out with all their 'best option' guff. Saying Dodds until the end of the season buys them a bit of time and there is nothing to stop them appointing sooner but there won't be the question every day.

The problem will be if Dodds flounders. Last weekend he got carried away with himself and experimented and it failed badly. We shouldn't be adapting things too kuch at home v Swansea. He doesn't have the magic bullet Clarke so is hamstrung. Steadying the ship is, at this moment, what he has to do. The players need clear instructions they understand and to feel they are still at the right club to achieve. If we plummet, more players with options will leave because they will see the reality as most fans are.

You could argue there is less pressure coming in with 10 games to go with us well adrift of the playoffs.
And I would if not for the fact that everyone is furious. Say you take on a manager now and without Clarke and Roberts we don't really improve, in 3 games time he could be shot to bits with the fans.

And always will be the deal if that’s the model - but how does that ever get you promoted when other clubs consist of two coming down who have quality or will buy quality and clubs with a different model who will invest to go up - won’t work

The model only works if we reinvest that money. Spread it around to improve the quality of the team

We’re not looking like doing that right now but the only money we have to show our intent around that was the Stewart fee

My scepticism has now tipped over into cynicism. Our squad is massive with 3 recent additions to go with the 9 or 10 from the summer. I can imagine Speakman and KLD firmly believing we are already good to go for next season. Clarke money will pay Spurs off with the surplus to be used as working capital for running costs. Head Coach will have to work solo with the existing set up and be restricted by the tight constraints enjoyed/endured by their predecessors.
That would be a shambles, so hopefully doesn’t happen. Daft thing is, I don’t think we need a whole new squad. Far from it. This same group of players were performing well last season and start of this one. With the obvious replacement of Clarke presuming he goes, I think it’s just a small amount of quality needing added rather than a full team. Minimum of one proper established centre forward, not another kid, a centre back and a commanding centre midfielder that is going to protect the back 4. Suppose a better attacking midfielder would be nice as well.

Last edited:
Speakman has thrown his mate into the lions den. If he sees that the role is affecting Dodds and we are getting poor performances he should take him out of the firing line for his own sake. I don’t mean sack him, btw. So my answer to the question is, I haven’t got a bloody clue

We are almost certainly not going up or down, but can’t see us getting many points from the next 3. We always seem to leave things late, do you think we should be looking to approach a new manager/coach before the end of the season or just let it peter out and appoint in the close season?
Haven't the club announced that is what we plan to do?

Who really knows what this board wants or actual strategy is. 2 years of garbage ticket office and club shop,culminating in the loss of thousand of pounds and untold damage to supporters who turn up in large numbers. Eventually something will change ,tickets sales will drop and visitors will buy product elsewhere. Good rules in business ."if you stand still you are going backwards" and "The right product at the right time ,you will always make money".Can't the board see this or are they waiting for Sartori's wallet to finally make an appearance ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He’s here till the bitter end of this season, sacking the interim head coach would be the biggest Sunderland self harm thing ever. Who takes over then? Proctor? Because the bigwigs aren’t paying a big lumper for a manager to come in short term for a season that’s over anyway

That would be a shambles, so hopefully doesn’t happen. Daft thing is, I don’t think we need a whole new squad. Far from it. This same group of players were performing well last season and start of this one. With the obvious replacement of Clarke presuming he goes, I think it’s just a small amount of quality needing added rather than a full team. Minimum of one proper established centre forward, not another kid, a centre back and a commanding centre midfielder that is going to protect the back 4. Suppose a better attacking midfielder would be nice as well.
I don't disagree but we have needed an established striker, CDM and CH for the last 3 windows. Don't see us signing anyone further, business already done imo.

Wasn't the rumours the will still compo drops in the summer?. At this point the season is done, I'd rather wait and see who's available in the summer now. We need him in early though nee f***ing about we've got months to get this appointment right.

Wasn't the rumours the will still compo drops in the summer?. At this point the season is done, I'd rather wait and see who's available in the summer now. We need him in early though nee f***ing about we've got months to get this appointment right.

You already know they will fuck that up as well, speakman already put his name behind Beale and look what happened, must of embarrassed him that, and he’s got his little mate in the dug out at the moment, I guess the hope is Dodds does well and they can turn around and say well he’s doing well and he’s on board with the model so we decided for continuity to appoint him full time.

Don’t say that @Cream Soda will tell you off
He’s right behind it
Would be scandalous IMO. The ultimate Speakman yes man.
There was no point in Speakman etc coming out with all their 'best option' guff. Saying Dodds until the end of the season buys them a bit of time and there is nothing to stop them appointing sooner but there won't be the question every day.

The problem will be if Dodds flounders. Last weekend he got carried away with himself and experimented and it failed badly. We shouldn't be adapting things too kuch at home v Swansea. He doesn't have the magic bullet Clarke so is hamstrung. Steadying the ship is, at this moment, what he has to do. The players need clear instructions they understand and to feel they are still at the right club to achieve. If we plummet, more players with options will leave because they will see the reality as most fans are.
It's a problem if he flounders and it will be a problem if he does well! If he does poorly and loses say the next 4 then what on earth do the hierarchy do? Just stick with someone who's record will read P9 W2 L7? Do well and everyone - especially this board - will be clamouring for him to be given the job permanently. Which would be an awful long term decision for the club IMO.

Last edited:

Back