Should Airline Passengers be weighed along with their luggage

At present, airlines use “assumed mass” – estimating the total weight of the passengers by using set figures. Typically each passenger is assumed to weigh 88kg.

Airlines may use gender to refine this figure, allowing 93kg for men and 75kg for women.

But should passengers be weighed along with their luggage?
Yes, nowt worse being stuck next to a fat fecker esp on long haul ie Buenos Aires to Paris

Just fly with Eurowings. You can book an empty middle seat on most if not all of their flights. NCL-DUS is £20 each way although I did notice it was more on more popular flights. I've done this a few times since Covid and Eurowings have never sold the seat twice. Even when the plane was full in July the only spare seat was the one I paid £20 for. The seats they allocate are also extra leg room so win win.

But what about a 6ft 4 lad who is in fantastic physical shape but weighs more due to his size. Or are we saying people who are in a certain tolerance?

It really doesn't bother me whatsoever and I train every day, sometimes twice a day and have a good diet. People can surely still stick to the luggage guidelines, perhaps be more disciplined in what you pack instead of taking clothes you don't need or won't even wear.
You are talking about a vanishingly small number of people that big. I know a few, and they don't holiday abroad as the flight is torture. However, the last survey I saw (2021) showed 26% of UK adults clinically obese with a further 38% overweight. That many people are eating too much in the UK.

Just fly with Eurowings. You can book an empty middle seat on most if not all of their flights. NCL-DUS is £20 each way although I did notice it was more on more popular flights. I've done this a few times since Covid and Eurowings have never sold the seat twice. Even when the plane was full in July the only spare seat was the one I paid £20 for. The seats they allocate are also extra leg room so win win.
I used to fly with them to Germany once per month for a good few years. I knew a couple of the flight crew to talk to who were killed on the mountain crash when the company flew as German Wings.
They've stopped that route from Stansted now and I have to drive to fecking Heathrow to get the BA flight and stay an extra night in Bosch each trip. :(

You are talking about a vanishingly small number of people that big. I know a few, and they don't holiday abroad as the flight is torture. However, the last survey I saw (2021) showed 26% of UK adults clinically obese with a further 38% overweight. That many people are eating too much in the UK.
It's sad I agree mate, but more needs doing to help and support, not bully and discriminate against.

Schools should perhaps be doing more, but most of the problems will likely stem from poor diets at home, parents persistently serving their kids fatty/sugary foods, it becomes habitual and it's difficult for them to change as they grow older. But I suppose that's another debate entirely.

It's sad I agree mate, but more needs doing to help and support, not bully and discriminate against.

Schools should perhaps be doing more, but most of the problems will likely stem from poor diets at home, parents persistently serving their kids fatty/sugary foods, it becomes habitual and it's difficult for them to change as they grow older. But I suppose that's another debate entirely.
It may sound cruel, but telling them that it is normal, running advertising campaigns using plus sized models, and calling the likes of me out for body shaming is not going to help. They eat too much, it is not healthy, and they look a f***ing mess. Tell a girl in a pub that she reminds you of Kylie Kardashian and she will be chuffed. Tell her she reminds you of Lizzo and you have a good chance to get glassed. And this is despite Lizzo being held up as a shining example of body positivity.

It may sound cruel, but telling them that it is normal, running advertising campaigns using plus sized models, and calling the likes of me out for body shaming is not going to help. They eat too much, it is not healthy, and they look a f***ing mess. Tell a girl in a pub that she reminds you of Kylie Kardashian and she will be chuffed. Tell her she reminds you of Lizzo and you have a good chance to get glassed. And this is despite Lizzo being held up as a shining example of body positivity.
Why does it bother you so much though? I mean, is it impacting your life? There's lots of things to be going at. People can be thin and live an unhealthy lifestyle. Where does it end?

Why does it bother you so much though? I mean, is it impacting your life? There's lots of things to be going at. People can be thin and live an unhealthy lifestyle. Where does it end?
If they want to live the last third of their lives pretty much housebound and under constant medical supervision for a variety of ailments I suppose it is their choice, you are right.

Think people just look around and see how bad it's getting and know things have to change like. Think we're at over 25% of the population obese now and nearly 40% overweight.. where are we going to be in 10 years? Maybe those 40% are now obsese? Almost half a nations population obese ? That's where we're heading. We even have obese primary school kids with diabetes now, we can't just keep accepting it.
Calling people names isn't going to help. Educate at school, do what needs to be done to make healthier foods cheaper. Ideally have it just as easy an convenient to bung something healthy in the oven when you can't be arsed to do cooking as it is to bung chicken dippers and chips or whatever. 15 minute city things are a help, as people having things closer will encourage walking rather than driving.

Calling people names isn't going to help. Educate at school, do what needs to be done to make healthier foods cheaper. Ideally have it just as easy an convenient to bung something healthy in the oven when you can't be arsed to do cooking as it is to bung chicken dippers and chips or whatever. 15 minute city things are a help, as people having things closer will encourage walking rather than driving.
But everyone already knows don't they? Do people seriously not know that eating shite and not working out leads to them getting fat? It's the fact it's just accepted that's one of the main issues surley? Changing public transport to accommodate while putting others at a disadvantage is the wrong approach.

Yes it is, in taxes. I once worked out (for shits & giggles) that my wife pays more in taxes to fund NHS obesity treatment than she pays for her own food. Plus they are being subsidised in flying by those below average weight, and aviation is already effectively subsidised by most other forms of transport as there is zero duty on aviation fuel, whilst drivers & other transport users are paying duties & taxes on the fuel used to power those vehicles.

No man is an island, everything effects someone else to varying degrees.

Yes it is, in taxes. I once worked out (for shits & giggles) that my wife pays more in taxes to fund NHS obesity treatment than she pays for her own food. Plus they are being subsidised in flying by those below average weight, and aviation is already effectively subsidised by most other forms of transport as there is zero duty on aviation fuel, whilst drivers & other transport users are paying duties & taxes on the fuel used to power those vehicles.

No man is an island, everything effects someone else to varying degrees.
Two sides to that, it also keeps people in jobs, their salaries are then put back into the economy and no doubt contributes to whatever you do in some indirect way. Taxes wouldn't be reduced anyhow, they'd simply be reallocated probably into something else that people object to.

Last edited:
Two sides to that, it also keeps people in jobs, their salaries are then put back into the economy and no doubt contributes to whatever you do in some indirect way. Taxes wouldn't be reduced anyhow, they'd simply be reallocated probably into something else that people object to.
This whole it keeps people in jobs argument is nonsense, there is a net loss of money to the country if a job isn't actually needed & does no net good. People spend a high proportion of their wages on imported goods & foreign holidays. And each worker breeds another generation of people that then needs to be employed. Meanwhile we import even more people to do the jobs that those people wont do & we get the inherent problems associated with higher population (vs resources) & in particular population density (overcrowding, disease spreading, traffic congestion, pollution etc.)

I don't know if you meant NHS or aviation so

1. NHS: do you really think having more sick people is good because it keeps nurses etc. in jobs?

2. Aviation: do you really think it's OK to effectively subsidise the most polluting form of transport that are powered by the world's worst regimes (1/8th of fuel still comes from Russia via India, for a start) that takes Millions of £s out of our country, just for a few jobs?

But everyone already knows don't they? Do people seriously not know that eating shite and not working out leads to them getting fat? It's the fact it's just accepted that's one of the main issues surley? Changing public transport to accommodate while putting others at a disadvantage is the wrong approach.
People know smoking leads to health conditions, yet people do it. Same with excessive alcohol consumption.

"Accepting" it is just part of a general push for people not to be dicks to each other based on appearance, skin tone, gender, dress style, disabilities and so on. The only reason planes might be able to change is due to a weight limit for aircraft to fly. It's down to airlines how they want to deal with passengers who may be too big for current seats or too many people being too heavy on the flight. Trains and buses are unlikely to change as they can just take people. Only if people end up complaining on a full train they can't sit in their seat because someone else is taking up to half of that seat too would it become a potential issue.

Whilst there is personal responsibility to an extent, a lot of the knowledge that's come out over the last 40ish years around diet and food has come out from a response to an increase in general weights of the population. A reactive response rather than proactive. Generally down to what I alluded to in another post. The masses generally used to not be able to afford a lot of food, but it was stodge. But manual work worked the stodge away. Then manual jobs dwindled and after that some of the masses became more affluent affording more food - and even those not as affluent could still benefit from changes in the times like others with things like the rise of frozen foods, microwaves and the march of all kinds of takeaways and fast food places all over the place.

1974 the first McDonalds opened in the UK. 1983 the 100th opened. 1986 the 200th opened. 1988 the 300th. 1991 400th. 1993 500th. So 9 years to go from 1 to 100, then 10 years to go from 100 to 500. Now it's around 1,300. In the past only the wealthy could afford the food and live a non manual labour lifestyle to get fat. Now we pretty much all can.

Even looking at something that isn't about weight shows a lot about society. Starbucks. Came to the UK in 1998, now have just over 1,200 locations. Almost as many as McDonald's in about half the time. People would rather not make coffee at home instead opting for a Starbucks on the way to work. The easy/lazy option.

Recently came back from Sweden and Denmark where I saw virtually no overweight people, all healthy and cycling or running everywhere. First night back popped to Asda for a couple of bits and it was a real eye opener how many big people there were. We have a real problem in this country and normalising it is pretty dangerous in my opinion.
I went to Costco on Sunday for a Roast Chicken (was passing and they are lush to be fair) but the ammount of enormous blubbers was unbelievable, It honestly looked like a supermarket you would see in the US with overweight tubbys everywhere.

I went to Costco on Sunday for a Roast Chicken (was passing and they are lush to be fair) but the ammount of enormous blubbers was unbelievable, It honestly looked like a supermarket you would see in the US with overweight tubbys everywhere.
Fatties love bulk buying and bulk eating. Thin people eat nowt.

Doesn't matter we will all be eating Chinese insects soon.

Back