Should Airline Passengers be weighed along with their luggage

What exactly do you expect them to say to a stranger?

I have spoken to overweight people I know, encouraging them to lose weight, but they are usually in denial or refuse to change "I love food & I'm lazy, I can't change". If they can afford to overspend on food they can pay more for that excess mass to be transported on holiday.

Well done in losing that 5 stone, in 6 months too that's impressive. I hope you reach a healthy weight as soon as reasonably expected and stick to it.
I expect that when they spout off on a message board that they would say this and would say that.. That they actually would and if they do that's fair enough just notice nobody who sits near me ever says anything.. and not always about greed.. I hardly eat or drink alcohol.. haven't been able to exercise since I stopped playing football about 5 year ago. Believe me being fat comes with a lot more problems for the fattie than the person sitting next to them.. im lucky cos haven't been fat all my life so I can take the name calling cos I'm confident still..I feel for people more who's been fat since childhood and bullied for it therefore still having no confidence.. if it was as simple as greed believe me there'd be no fat people. Confidence,health, a million thing contribute not just greed

Not sure why people are suggesting bringing back fat shaming. If fat shaming worked we'd be a nation of svelte god like creatures.

We're a fatter nation due to a myriad of factors. Some prime ones likely being the cheap and quick food option generally being unhealthy, and for a long time the vast majority of take away options were unhealthy or just calorie heavy. And that mixed in with a change away from a large manual workforce to a large office based workforce but still eating like a large manual based workforce. Add onto that the increase of technology and availability of entertainment options that involve staying in the house, especially for the next generations, and habits kick in early.

Airlines will be the only ones who could get away with some sort of weight limit on passengers or extra charge due to weight being important for flying. The issue of "not wanting a fattie next to me" shouldn't factor in as that would still be a thing on buses and trains where people could be squeezed in. An overnight coach next to someone who expands into your seat has got to be less fun than a 2-3 hour flight with the same issue.

I think legally the airlines wouldn't be allowed to introduce this as it would clearly discriminate on gender. Then there's the other issue that people with medical issues would be discriminated against. Might possibly be able to get away with charging extra for seat belt extensions for passengers who aren't disabled.

If you are flying first or business you are paying loads and subsidising the proletariat in the rear so you fatties can be 30 stone and knock yasell out.

My original post was unconsciously targeted towards low cost airlines where they charge a little as possible for the seat and then charge extra for everything else, like air and a seat belt.

They are totally cost driven so I would not be surprised to see airlines bring in a penalty for heavier passengers.

BTW This thread is specifically about heavier passengers and penalties while flying.

It was never a weight loss thread or about ridiculing people who are heavier than average.

Generally I am agree with arguments about people living a healthier life and would fall on the side of being unsympathetic in weight loss discussions; but doing this just feels like an unnecessarily divisive policy. There are incidents where overweight people may cause you an inconvenience on a flight but it's rare. I fly probably 20 times per year in coach class (inc. right now) and can't remember the last time / if this has ever been a problem...

Last edited:
Generally I am sympathetic to arguments about people living a healthier life and would fall on the side of being unsympathetic to weight loss discussions; but doing this just feels like an unnecessarily divisive policy. There incidents where overweight people may cause you an inconveinience but it's rare. I fly probably 20 times per year in coach class and can't remember the last time / if this has ever been a problem...
Agreed but why should I have to pay excess baggage when someone sitting next to me is heavier than my case? And their case is another issue.

This is about weight and aviation fuel and therefore cost. It’s not about fat people.

Not sure why people are suggesting bringing back fat shaming. If fat shaming worked we'd be a nation of svelte god like creatures.

We're a fatter nation due to a myriad of factors. Some prime ones likely being the cheap and quick food option generally being unhealthy, and for a long time the vast majority of take away options were unhealthy or just calorie heavy. And that mixed in with a change away from a large manual workforce to a large office based workforce but still eating like a large manual based workforce. Add onto that the increase of technology and availability of entertainment options that involve staying in the house, especially for the next generations, and habits kick in early.

Airlines will be the only ones who could get away with some sort of weight limit on passengers or extra charge due to weight being important for flying. The issue of "not wanting a fattie next to me" shouldn't factor in as that would still be a thing on buses and trains where people could be squeezed in. An overnight coach next to someone who expands into your seat has got to be less fun than a 2-3 hour flight with the same issue.
Think people just look around and see how bad it's getting and know things have to change like. Think we're at over 25% of the population obese now and nearly 40% overweight.. where are we going to be in 10 years? Maybe those 40% are now obsese? Almost half a nations population obese ? That's where we're heading. We even have obese primary school kids with diabetes now, we can't just keep accepting it.

Spending 3 months in Poland at the moment, and I have to say, the working class is getting screwed in the Uk food wise.

It’s becoming harder to eat healthier. The basic ingredients in Biodronka (local supermarkets in Poland) are miles ahead in quality compared to the utter shite that’s at the lower budget level in say Tesco or even Aldi.

Fruit, veg, sausage, ham, cheese etc are not only cheaper but excellent quality.

Compare that to your cheaper cheese and meat in Aldi for example, and it’s staggering. Not to mention the ease of junk food with deliveroo, just ear etc.

It’s going to be a massive issue in the future if not already

I started this thread.

I started it to discuss a specific issue. That issue was:-

SHOULD AIRLINE PASSENGERS BE WEIGHED ALONG WITH THEIR LUGGAGE

I know threads meander along many different tributaries but it would be great if we could return to the principle issue.

Air New Zealand and Korean Air have already started trials of weighing passengers.

Maybe go by body fat if going down that route.

I weigh a lot but I'm not fat

Disagree. If going down that route, a 20 stone bodybuilder and a 20 stone person with 45% body fat should both be charged imo. The bodybuilder is still there due to lifestyle choices.

Probably best not to implement it at all.

Disagree. If going down that route, a 20 stone bodybuilder and a 20 stone person with 45% body fat should both be charged imo. The bodybuilder is still there due to lifestyle choices.

Probably best not to implement it at all.
What happens if you are nearly 20 stone but not a body builder?

Seems unfair I'd be punished just because I'm tall. Can't exactly chop my legs off to lose weight.
Tbf I usually pay for the extra leg room seats anyway if can

Last edited:

Seems unfair I'd be punished just because I'm tall. Can't exactly chop my legs off to lose weight.

Bodybuilder was just an example of the opposite end of the extreme mate.

I don't really agree with doing it, but if you're going to implement it, there'd need to be a better metric than just absolute weight to make it 'fair'. To be honest, BMI would probably be more fair as it factors in height.

Last edited:
Agreed but why should I have to pay excess baggage when someone sitting next to me is heavier than my case? And their case is another issue.

This is about weight and aviation fuel and therefore cost. It’s not about fat people.
Because you know the rules before travelling. A simpler solution is weighing your luggage before having it weighed at the airport.

It's people getting angry over very little in the whole scheme of things.

Because you know the rules before travelling. A simpler solution is weighing your luggage before having it weighed at the airport.

It's people getting angry over very little in the whole scheme of things.
That’s what we do. We are no longer fearful of sabre toothed tigers so our synapses engage in other things.

Tbf I usually pay for the extra leg room seats anyway if can
Unlucky but theyre still transporting more of you and goods services do charge by weight . Try posting yourself.
Fwiw id probably be charged extra too due to weight. I have always struggled with weight , run to fat dead easy if i don't train like a spartan . Thats harder to do as i am getting old and the impact of all the training comes home to roost . No excuses though and if i was charged extra i think it might encourage a push through the pain barrier more often on the days i cant be arsed ...and a few more salads.

I started this thread.

I started it to discuss a specific issue. That issue was:-

SHOULD AIRLINE PASSENGERS BE WEIGHED ALONG WITH THEIR LUGGAGE

I know threads meander along many different tributaries but it would be great if we could return to the principle issue.

Air New Zealand and Korean Air have already started trials of weighing passengers.
And the threads taken another path it's not like it has nothing to do with the topic is it? How many people are over weight and why will play a part in your question won't it?

Back